The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need Spark Plugs what should i get!!!!!!!!!!

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Need Spark Plugs what should i get!!!!!!!!!!

Guys i am doing a tune up on my car and i am changing the spark plugs and i was wondering what the best thing i should get.

Performance Models
    NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs $30
    Denso Iridium Spark Plugs $57
    OBX Iridium Spark Plug $30

Standar Models
    Splitfire 3 Platinum $25
    Bosch Platinum 4 $26
    Champion Double Platinum $20

The prices include all 4 spark plug

The Iridium Models are the best spark plug but what company is better NGK. OBX. or Denso.

Anthony
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Dont know why in the world you would spend that much on plugs... Advance Auto carries NGK for $1.57 a plug I think I paid.
    7g for life!

Yeah but its the Base NGK model not the Iridium Model

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.as...For=Spark+Plugs

Experienced TGC Member
    and explain why you need Iridiums? and it better be a damn good one...

do a search on here..

the NGK V-Powers do just fine for our cars... if you're pushin' that extra power and you need the larger spark to get things going, then spend the money... but hell man, don't spend the money unless you absolutely have to and save it for something else...
    -Chris

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quicksilver22)</div><div class='quotemain'>and explain why you need Iridiums? Â*and it better be a damn good one...

do a search on here..

the NGK V-Powers do just fine for our cars... Â* if you're pushin' that extra power and you need the larger spark to get things going, then spend the money... but hell man, don't spend the money unless you absolutely have to and save it for something else...</div>

Thats why i am asking you guys what i should get for my ride. I have heard that the Iridium model is better thats all i have heard, doesnt mean i will buy

Ngk-r are all any tuner uses really. if you get iridiums for your car make sure they are for your engine specifically.

i ordered deno iridiums back when i still had the 2.4dohc gs motor. uses the exact same spark pulg as the eclipse turbo (ik20) but the gap on an eclipse turbo is tiny compared to what it should have been on my galant 2.4 high compression motor. so what happened?

the car ran absolutley smooth and fabulous. (i didn't have a logger back then so i have no idea the effect on ignition timing it had but i imagine it was retarded due to this next result)
    I drove it to florida and got acceptable gas mileage, while in florida i floored it at a light in panama city and wound it out to like 5700 in first, and a good pull on second gear.
    then when i got to the next light i had a dead cylinder.
    really bad vibrations, so i drove it back to the hotel after checking for severe symptoms.
    pulled my plugs and they all looked good UNTIL i got to #1
    the tiny plug gap caused a misfire in that cylinder. a misfire so bad that it actually caused the ground to be smashed into the iridium electrode.
    this grounded the spark and so no ignition for that cylinder.
    and it wasn't like they were just touching. it actually cracked the wled that held the iridium core in place. :shock:

lucky for me i still had my old standard desno p[lugs in my trunk, so i threw them in and never looked back

the moral here is make sure they are gapped properly for your applicatrion. not just that they fit.

because you CANNOT regap these plugs.

in closing iridiums do give a stronger and better spark, but just make sure they are ordered with the proper gap.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCSTUNR)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ngk-r are all any tuner uses really. Â*if you get iridiums for your car make sure they are for your engine specifically.

i ordered deno iridiums back when i still had the 2.4dohc gs motor. Â*uses the exact same spark pulg as the eclipse turbo (ik20) Â*but the gap on an eclipse turbo is tiny compared to what it should have been on my galant 2.4 high compression motor. Â*so what happened?

the car ran absolutley smooth and fabulous. Â*(i didn't have a logger back then so i have no idea the effect on ignition timing it had but i imagine it was retarded due to this next result)
    I drove it to florida and got acceptable gas mileage, Â*while in florida i floored it at a light in panama city and wound it out to like 5700 in first, and a good pull on second gear.
    then when i got to the next light i had a dead cylinder.
    really bad vibrations, so i drove it back to the hotel after checking for severe symptoms.
    pulled my plugs and they all looked good UNTIL i got to #1 Â*
    the tiny plug gap caused a misfire in that cylinder. Â*a misfire so bad that it actually caused the ground to be smashed into the iridium electrode. Â*
    this grounded the spark and so no ignition for that cylinder. Â*
    and it wasn't like they were just touching. it actually cracked the wled that held the iridium core in place. :shock: Â*

lucky for me i still had my old standard desno p[lugs in my trunk, so i threw them in and never looked back

the moral here is make sure they are gapped properly for your applicatrion. Â*not just that they fit.

because you CANNOT regap these plugs.

in closing iridiums do give a stronger and better spark, but just make sure they are ordered with the proper gap.</div>

Thanks dude for the info, my GS model is at the garage she has new spark plugs, the tune up is for the other model but thanks for the info

one thing to look out for is the design of the plug itself. if the electrode is flush mounted into the ceramic insulator (like bosch platinum plugs)you are going to get shitty results. you want to have a plug thats as close to the factory design as possible. denso's adn ngk's are both O.E.M. plugs meaning that depending on which dealer you go to they will carry either of those models, and in your service manual it will say that both brands are recomended.

bosch, autolite, champion, all those are crap for our cars. just don't use them.
    also make sure you are getting the right temperature for your application.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    NGK BKR5E-11 is direct replacement for our spark plugs
    NGK BKR6E-11 and 7E-11 is one and two steps colder in the heat range. only necessary if you have some performance mods.

any other plug [for our cars] is a waste of money. copper plugs pwn.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd