The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2006 Eclipse Sales are Saving Mitsubishi

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

2006 Eclipse Sales are Saving Mitsubishi

Mitsubishi always gets a lucky break back in 99 it was the Galant that saved Mitsubishi Motors of America, now it’s the 2006 Eclipse’s turn:

Mitsubishi Buoyant Over Eclipse

By Bill Visnic

WardsAuto.com, Aug 11 2005

Mitsubishi’s new Eclipse is selling well, and executives see an expanding market working in the company’s favor.

PORTLAND, OR – Better-than-expected sales of its all-new Eclipse sport coupe and a U.S. auto market turbocharged by rampaging Big Three incentives have officials at Mitsubishi Motors North America Inc. optimistic the company may be starting on the road to recovery.

Rich Gilligan, MMNA president and CEO, says the Eclipse, which went on sale in late May, is exceeding sales projections by some 65%.

Eclipse sales for the May-July period are tracking at an annual rate of about 40,000 units, Gilligan says – double last year’s total of 19,361.

Gilligan says MMNA is finishing improvements for Eclipse throughput at the company’s Normal, IL, assembly plant to accommodate the welcome demand for Mitsubishi’s best-known nameplate.

’06 Mitsubishi Eclipse
    He also says July was Mitsubishi’s best sales month since last August, and a new-product onslaught will give dealers “the best and freshest product portfolio they’ve ever had.” (See related story: Mitsubishi Launching Product Assault, Image Overhaul)

The auto maker is further encouraged by robust industry sales driven by the heavily promoted employee-pricing programs of General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and Chrysler Group. Dave Schembri, executive vice president-sales and marketing, says all boats rose on the sales bubble the incentive programs created.

Schembri says July’s seasonally adjusted annual rate of approximately 22 million units will have positive long-term effects for the industry, noting the U.S. is evolving into a nation of the 3-car garage.

“We’re moving more towards a 20-million market than a 16-million market,” he says.

Schembri and Gilligan say Mitsubishi is well-placed to take advantage of the demand with six new products coming in the next 26 months.

Next up is the Raider midsize pickup Mitsubishi highlights here, which goes on sale in late September. A drop-top Eclipse Spyder follows next spring.

In fall 2006, Mitsubishi will introduce an all-new Lancer compact, a new version of the Outlander cross/utility vehicle and the Lancer Evolution X high-performance sport sedan, based on the redesigned Lancer platform.

’06 Mitsubishi Raider
    Schembri says some of the new Eclipse’s success can be attributed to the Ford Mustang, which has re-energized the slumbering sport-coupe market.

“All the other manufacturers are trying to figure out how they can get back in the segment,” says Schembri of reports that other auto makers are scrambling to revive decommissioned plans for sporty coupes.

Among them, Chrysler Group reputedly is plotting a 2-door variant of its successful LX platform, and General Motors Corp. is rumored to be working on resurrecting the Chevrolet Camaro nameplate.

Meanwhile, Mitsubishi hopes the Raider – returning to the midsize-pickup segment after more than a decade’s hiatus – will bolster the brand’s image by offering plenty of truck for the money.

Based on the new Dodge Dakota, the Raider comes in three trim levels. It is the only import-badge midsize pickup to offer the option of V-8 power in the form of a 230-hp, 4.7L SOHC unit sourced from Chrysler. The Raider’s base engine is a Chrysler-made 3.7L SOHC V-6.

Mitsubishi does not provide pricing here, but says its new pickup will start at less than $20,000, while a V-8 powered Raider with all-wheel drive and the best of three trim levels will top out at about $30,000.

Schembri says Mitsubishi will make as many Raiders as the market demands.
    The First Supercharged 4cyl Galant!!!!!!!!

www.rippmods.com

Before there were any, there was me.

Experienced TGC Member
    well good for them,

i'm personally starting to take a liking to them myself...

donherringmitsubishi.com's site brought to this feeling...
    -Chris

And who knows, maybe good sales will allow them to gamble on the Galant Ralliart edition here in the states, will definitely give the Mazda 6 a run as the highest performing in the class.
    What is the meaning of life? 42.

This should serve as a wake up call to the people at Mitsubishi Motors, that car buyers have too many choices to choose from and their not just going to settle with buying any old piece of shit. Nobody wants a car that’s not attractive and doesn’t have the same features or qualities as others in its class. Mitsubishi was getting away with selling cars that didn’t compete due to flashy commercials and catchy songs. That lasted for about a second till car buyers released there were better cars out there with more to offer in terms of power and feature content.

Mitsubishi better continue to step it up with their new cars. Now if they could just redesign that ugly 2005 Mitsubishi Galant into something worth buying then they will really see some profits. Family sedans are the bread and butter for companies. They use the profits to make cars that are fun. Most manufacturers today, both domestic and foreign, produce at least one vehicle that appeals to the masses and sells like hot cakes. Because so many Americans buy these family sedans, carmakers are able to use the profits from these middle-of-the-road vehicles to build more unique, exciting cars, like the 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse. In the past, family sedans have had a reputation for being boring and basic, but that has changed. Competition has gotten tough. So Mitsbushi better start from scratch, and go back to the drawing board with the Galant because this new one is hideous and heavy! (No offense to 9G members, but that’s just my opinion.) Although the Ralliart concept wasn’t half bad.

But, I’m curious though are there any articles about the sale figures for the 2005 Galant. Is it selling well or not at all? :?:
    I barely see any new Galants on the road, so I don’t know.

What's sad is I'm seeing more 2006 Eclipses' on the road and they just came out!!
    The First Supercharged 4cyl Galant!!!!!!!!

www.rippmods.com

Before there were any, there was me.

dave1
    Quote Originally Posted by GalantT3
    This should serve as a wake up call to the people at Mitsubishi Motors, that car buyers have too many choices to choose from and their not just going to settle with buying any old piece of shit. Nobody wants a car that’s not attractive and doesn’t have the same features or qualities as others in its class. Mitsubishi was getting away with selling cars that didn’t compete due to flashy commercials and catchy songs. That lasted for about a second till car buyers released there were better cars out there with more to offer in terms of power and feature content.

Mitsubishi better continue to step it up with their new cars. Now if they could just redesign that ugly 2005 Mitsubishi Galant into something worth buying then they will really see some profits. Family sedans are the bread and butter for companies. They use the profits to make cars that are fun. Most manufacturers today, both domestic and foreign, produce at least one vehicle that appeals to the masses and sells like hot cakes. Because so many Americans buy these family sedans, carmakers are able to use the profits from these middle-of-the-road vehicles to build more unique, exciting cars, like the 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse. In the past, family sedans have had a reputation for being boring and basic, but that has changed. Competition has gotten tough. So Mitsbushi better start from scratch, and go back to the drawing board with the Galant because this new one is hideous and heavy! (No offense to 9G members, but that’s just my opinion.) Although the Ralliart concept wasn’t half bad.

But, I’m curious though are there any articles about the sale figures for the 2005 Galant. Is it selling well or not at all? :?:
    I barely see any new Galants on the road, so I don’t know.

What's sad is I'm seeing more 2006 Eclipses' on the road and they just came out!!
    i agree with you 100% no offence to 9g owners, but i was thinking about buying a new car last month and the galant just wasnt on my list.

Usualy your mind will say a car looks decent just cuz you HAVE to drive it, but in 3-4 years i think if i owned a 9g id be like ready to drive it off a bridge

just my opinion

go back to the drawing board with the Galant because this new one is hideous and heavy
    it makes baby jesus cry :cry:
    (no offense to 9G owners)

Although it can be salvaged to so-so by being lowered with some large rims... NOTHING ELSE!
    What is the meaning of life? 42.

around the Chicago area i see a shitload of 9G's...only seen one 4G Eclipse in that burnt orange color....thing looked fuckin sweet on the road. Mos def needs a drop though.

the 4G doing well will mean that the 9G will have some parts to play w/ just like the 3G/8G and the 2G/7G. this is good news for 9G owners.