The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: anyone still on the bottle?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 53 of 53
    let me correct my statement...when i mean purging the line after a run, i meant usually people release the remaining nitrous out after they turn off their car, when they turn their car back on....the car over revs from the startup because there is still nitrous in either your manifold or in the intake pipe. the use of the purge kit is to get rid of that issue. if you dont have a purge kit, shut the bottle off and squeeze the remaining NOS out of the line so you wont have that problem. last of all, about your engine running rich...then youre not using your nos to its full potential...if you smell gas out the exhaust and not that NOS stink or youre smoking out of the exhaust ...then youre running hella rich....but id rather run rich than lean...so you should be okay.

02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein

theblackpearl
    i have a purge kit and ive had my n2o hooked up for quite a few months now...yes i run rich. problems? none at the moment and i use my n2o quite often when the bottle is full...i also run rich aside from the n2o becuase my header fried my o2sensors and i cant afford new ones...and i dont think purging your lines clears nitrous from the manifold or intake and i have never had my car revv higher when i start it back up after a run..but i also dont shut my car off imediately after using it...but the purge kit clears the left over n2o from your lines going to the management unit at least thats how its set up with my zex kit...this is like you said to clear un used n2o from the lines so that when you spray again youre not using "old" n2o so to say..and i dont have smoke coming from the exhaust or what not so im not running too rich, rich yes but too rich no.. and yes id rather have it runnin rich than lean so im cool with the way it is now ...knock on wood

Just curious why you would say to upgrade to a wet system over a good running dry? I'm not running the hugest shot, but it works well the way its setup and I have no complaints what-so-ever. The A/F ratio looks good too during use. I understand what you're saying about the excess NOS in the line too and purging it out. I never really thought about it, but it does make sense. Don't know how much damage it would do after I turn the bottle off though, but couldn't hurt to get the excess out and clear the line.
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

the reason why i say upgrade to the wet system or preferably a fogger 4 or 6 fogger system is because the when nitrous is sprayed through a dry system, the majority of the nitrous hits the 1 and 2 cylinder making the 1 and 2 cylinder run lean more than the 3 and 4 cylinder. this is through personal experience from the traditional NOS system. Im not sure what system you have...i dont know much about NX or ZEX systems. I started out with a dry system upgraded to a wet and then upgraded to a 4 fogger. the upgrade kits are pretty cheap, you can probably get them for 100 bucks. but even with my wet setup, my engine was running rich on the 1-2 cylinders and lean on the 3 and 4. 4 fogger is your safest bet in my book because it sprays an even amount of nitrous and gas into each intake manifold runner. now if you plumbed your nozzle in you intake pipe for your dry system, from my experience from the pros, they recommend that you plumb as far as you can from the throttle body for the nitrous to atomize. now keep in mind that is for dry system installs only. also in regards to checking if youre running lean or rich....I highly recommend getting an EGT(exhaust gas temperature) gauge. i think they are the most accurate to tune turbos and N2o setups without going on the dyno. all those digital gauges ive seen that tell you through lighted bars if youre running lean or rich are all a waste of money. you should be okay with a 50 shot dry on your car, 2.4 liters dump enough gas to run well on your car. just pay attention to your spark plugs after each run.
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune

theblackpearl
    please tell me you dont run the NOS kit?

sorry I do, ive been running it since 96.

theblackpearl
    okay well at least you got it before the went to total shit..

to be honest, i think they were the only company that produced kits at the time. damn that was a long time ago. i think any nitrous kit is good, whatever brand it is, just as long as you tune it right, you should be happy. id just hate to see someone blow their motor. ive seen it too many times, hell even i cracked my head once...it was my fault, i was racing a mustang gt on the freeway, squeezing 100 shot from 1st to 5th, even though i couldnt feel it anymore. it ran still, but i thought i just blew a head gasket, found out i cracked the head...thank god heads are cheap for a 22re motor. Cast iron block, yayeah!

I am running the Venom dry kit and yes, in the 50 shot range. Your input is interesting and good to know if I were ever to up the shot. I have a V6, but understand what you're saying about the cylinders. I do have my input nozzle piped at a fair distance from the intake manifold and like I said, its ran pretty stable from day one. I actually do have an EGT gauge, but never used it much as it runs high almost all the time. I was never informed at what temp I'm supposed to be running at or how much it should increase while on the bottle. Any idea what the range should be? Thanks for the info, I'll add that to my little library. I do agree that any system is as good as the other as long as it is set up and tested correctly.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    aluminum melts at 900* C (which is about 1625* F). everyone has their own egt range that they usually sit at, but now you know the danger zone. i'd say anything over 1200 at cruising, something is really wrong. on n/a cars i dont know what the ranges should be, but highest i've ever seen mine hit is 1300 after the pedal had been sunk for a while.....
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Yeah, thats what I thought too. Cruising, not punching on the freeway at about 85 it sits around 1400. I always thought that was high myself since the gauge only goes up to 1600 like you said. And its done this since day one so I know it hasn't changed over time or anything like that. What sucks is that there is no good performance shops in my area. Just a bunch of ricer markets. I was planning on swapping out the Autometers for some indiglo gauges. Don't want to spend a ton, but I'll try to find another EGT gauge and see if it works differently.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SinSere)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah, thats what I thought too. Cruising, not punching on the freeway at about 85 it sits around 1400. I always thought that was high myself since the gauge only goes up to 1600 like you said. And its done this since day one so I know it hasn't changed over time or anything like that. What sucks is that there is no good performance shops in my area. Just a bunch of ricer markets. I was planning on swapping out the Autometers for some indiglo gauges. Don't want to spend a ton, but I'll try to find another EGT gauge and see if it works differently.</div>

I have an Autometer EGT in my car and it works really well. I've never been over 1200. 1400 does sound kind of high for just cruising around, and if you want a good tune shop you need to make a trip to Seattle, I just got back and could give you the names of a couple of good ones.

When I'm ready, I might just do that. SInce the white shit is coming, I'm probably going to have to stick to things I can do for now and plan a trip in the spring. Still wondering if I'm going to chill on the G and save for a new G or Eclipse. so torn right now...had the perfect Eclipse for me all lined up, but the guy wouldn't budge on price.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123