The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Custom Supercharger setup???

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    Experienced TGC Member

Custom Supercharger setup???

Ight, all morning ive been reading the Turbos vs Supercharger threads, and the custom Turbo threads too. And i think ive finally decided that if i do go F/I, ima go with a Supercharger. I plan on keepin my auto trans. for a while for the fact that i cant drive a stick shift to save my life. Ive heard about how small turbos reduce lag, and this and that. Honestly, im not too educated when it comes to installing and maintaining Turbos or SC. But what ive heard is that a Turbo setup is much more complicated than a SC setup and much more complicated to maintain and service. Ive read that turbos themselves are relatively cheap to replace, where SC are usually a lil more. But my question is....are there any V6 guys with a CUSTOM Supercharger setup? I know Ripp has there SDS, and i might try them seeing as there located in NY. But i wanted to know has anybody built a custom SC by scrounging parts from junkyards or Ebay. Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.

I also have gone through all the threads trying to gather as much info as possible for forced induction on the G. I came to the same conclusion as you actually. If I were to do a turbo setup, it would most definately involve a 5-speed swap and a tuned smaller turbo or a NOS/turbo setup to eliminate the lag. I also read all the issues with the RIPP SC and think that is the way I'm going to go if I can later this year. I'm planning on searching for experienced mechanics in the area that can do the internal buildup of the motor to run the SC efficiently. I have already contacted Tearstone on their refurbished RIPP kits which have a couple more components in them than you would not get from RIPP themselves.

To answer your questions though, I have not seen a custom SC setup anywhere on this site or on the Club 3G forum as far as I can tell. There are a few custom turbo kits around that are slowly coming to form and am excited to see what kind of numbers they put out when all finished. I know there are a couple people on the site that I would trust when asking F/I questions. Having a V6 its a little harder because there have been few successful setups on this board with them. I personally would love a 5-speed, but don't think I could do the whole tranny swap and the turbo setup together. that would be a lot of down time and thats the only way I would do it.

So that's what I decided as well. What happens is another story. Definately want more hp, but don't know how soon it will happen. Maybe even just working on some internals so I can spray a higher shot of nitrous for now, we'll see.
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

You should get a hold of Rezlo - if I recall correctly, he did a custom supercharger on his 6G72 engine (not a Galant).

The only other Supercharger option is the one that SinSere mentioned - that is the Tearstone modified RIPP setup. They are also selling used RIPP kits that are modified:
    http://www.tearstone.com/portal/index.php?...id=28&Itemid=37

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar

Re: Custom Supercharger setup???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(6G72Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'> But what ive heard is that a Turbo setup is much more complicated than a SC setup and much more complicated to maintain and service. </div>

i think that's bs. i dont have any experience with the V6 supercharger setups, but people have had problems with belts slipping and things like that. a turbo setup is easier to trouble shoot and there's certainly more support for it since you can tune it like any dsm
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member

Re: Custom Supercharger setup???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(6G72Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'> But what ive heard is that a Turbo setup is much more complicated than a SC setup and much more complicated to maintain and service. </div>

i think that's bs. i dont have any experience with the V6 supercharger setups, but people have had problems with belts slipping and things like that. a turbo setup is easier to trouble shoot and there's certainly more support for it since you can tune it like any dsm</div>

Ya its not really that complex at all. Its just a bunch of small stuff here and their.

Experienced TGC Member
    Hmm...in the SC vs Turbo thread one of the arguments againts Turbos was that they were hard to maintain and that SC's were pretty much bolt-on.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(6G72Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hmm...in the SC vs Turbo thread one of the arguments againts Turbos was that they were hard to maintain and that SC's were pretty much bolt-on.</div>

I'm not sure what exactly is required to maintain a turbo other than oil change and thoughtful driving techniques (i.e. dont go do a top speed run, and then immediatly shut off your car).

The biggest factor you have to consider is probably going to be price and overall end goals. A price for either turbo or supercharger kit will be easily above 4 grand. Where as a *custom* turbo kit will keep you within the 2k range (+/- 300). A custom turbo kit is probably easier to fabricate since we have so much information on it already. Where as with an SDS, its a proprietary system and thus probably a bit more difficult to replicate.

BTW For much more info on turbocharging the V6 go to club3g.com and club3gfl.com, both their FI sections are great.

would something like this be what your looking for?

Magna Super Charger Kit from RPW
    Horsepower is NOT proportional to the cross sectional area of your exhaust tip.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(to4garret)</div><div class='quotemain'>would something like this be what your looking for?

Magna Super Charger Kit from RPW</div>

for $6,000 that kit better come with a whole new car
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Pretty sure that is AUD.

$6,000 AUD = $4,549 USD

still expensive
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    Looks like i need to spend a few more hours researching al lthis Turbo and SC stuff..... :?