The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help!! Paint repair

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    stormcruiser

Help!! Paint repair

I used the paint touch up kit and ending up makint the problem worst!!!
    there was a paint chip made by small debrise about .5cm X .5cm. As the touch up kit instruction I rub the sand paper to clear the rust and ending making 2cm x 2cm bare metal part. I started painting but the procedure was so hard and paint ended up ugly. It look like pacthes of shit!!! Now I have patched of 2cm x2 cm ugly part right in the hood. I can't stand it!!!! How can I repair it?
    Will it cost a lot if I took it to auto body shop? How much will it cost?
    Help!!

MitsuMan
    well u need to prime the metal before u paint it, paint with your base paint, use paint hardener, and then clearcoat it, ........thats the usuall process, i dont think a place would charge you THAT much to do such a small area, but in my opinion i would rather wait till there are a few more areas that need touching up just to make it worth your while, they might charde like 50$ to do a 5cm area, just becuse they are mixing paint etc...might as well have them touch up a few other areas while they are at it,....my shop had to fix and paint my bumper but i waited til my spoiler came in cause i figues they have to spray the bumper might as well paint the spoiler too, they only charged me 80$, usually woulda been like 200$, they painted the bumper for free cause it ws on the promisary note before i bought the car it was one of our terms of sale...hope it helps

dean

first off all, the directions say to sand so that u can have a clean surface to apply paint and etc, not make things worse.

secondly, i'd just leave it the way it is or put a sticker over it for the time being, unless its gets to you that bad.

you might want to contact the body shop to see how much it will cost. the price can vary depending if you want the whole hood painted or just the area, take out dents etc etc. if the price for the whole hood paionting is relatively close to the touchup price, i'd wait it out and get the whole hood painted or get some other parts paitned too.

the price can also vary on the type of paint your car has. common colors, they can touchup easy but for metallics and more custom colors, the price will go up.

but most importantly, that part u messed up, keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn't get damaged and make sure that the area is sealed off from the elements, meaning the bare metal, rust occuring makes things worse

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

stormcruiser

I am gonna try one more time

It could be the stupidest thing I can do...but I just bought spray paint instead of paint, and I am gonna try again. I did sand it off to the bare metal but I did not use the primer. Maybe thats why paint clobered up. Just wondering to paint a small area, can I spray over the part that is totally fine as well? Its quiet hard to wrap so just the damaged part shows so a bit of good part has to be painted as well.....I guess that doesn't make too much trouble.

MitsuMan
    I guess that it is ok for the time being, i mean u are gonna do what u are going to do, however, make sure that the part that is not damaged that u are painting over has the clearcoat sanded off, paint is not going stick or will look bad if u paint on top of the clearcoat, i would just paint the bad area to cover it up before u get it fixed, this way it wont rust, u could always just buy a new hood...lol

dean

you might want to consider a big sticker or the body shop. the hardest part of touchups is the blending, blending the old and the new...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

That is the downside to touch up paint. It will never look perfect. When you paint it on the new paint typically sits higher than the old or vice versa. It is nearly impossible to make it perfect.
    You gain knowledge through learning not by increasing your post count...please search