The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Turbo with n2o

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    maximus

Turbo with n2o

I was just wondering if there are any members running both turbo and n2o together?I just installed my zex wet kit with a 55 shot.How would the 4g64 hold up with a small 16g turbo with a 55shot of n2o?I have done lots of research on both subjects and was wondering if it would hold together @8lbs of boost with a 55 shot or smaller of n2o?Let me know what your thoughts are thanks maximus

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You seriously think you will want that low shot with a turbo? Im not sure how it would hold boosint 8psi + 55shot, but Id assume it wouldnt last very long. Ditch the nitrous, go straight turbo. You wont need nitrous to spool up a tiny small 16g(tiny compared to what is out there).
    7g for life!

maximus
    I know I should have stayed with my turbo set-up instead of going with the n2o.At the time I had no choice but to ditch the turbo.Now things have changed and I'm thinking about the turbo again.Maybe I should try something like the 60-1 turbo with the nitrous?If the motor blows I could always rebuild with forged internals.Who knows I was just thinking out loud but I would hate to get rid of the nitrous I just got it.

Experienced TGC Member
    A straight T4 on a 2.4 liter? Thats a bit excessive isnt it?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    why did you get rid of the turbo?

a 55shot of nitrous on top of 8psi spells nothing but disaster for a stock 4g64. if 8psi isn't enough for you, don't add nitrous. just up the boost. its safer that way, more manageable, easier to tune and account for, and less crap in your engine bay.

having a turbo and then ditching it for nitrous is kind of like going backwards :? sell the nitrous, get the turbo back, and do things right
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

maximus
    Yes I should have stayed with the turbo set-up I had planned but I was buying a house so I needed the money for my new house so I sold it.I just finished putting my nitrous kit together and was still thinking of the turbo project that I didn't finish.I was thinking if I use a bigger turbo I could use the nitrous to spool it up.I have the msd window switch so I could set it up for whatever rpms I would need it.I said the 60-1 turbo because it is so big that our cars would have a hard time to spool it so I thought the nitrous would come in use for that.The other thing I was thinking the nitrous would come in useful for an ic sprayer to get rid of some heat soak.I could use my purge to spay the intercooler.

Meh 60-1 arent extremely huge turbos. 2.0l '63t guys run them all the time, so it would spool up even faster on a 2.4l. Not sure exactly when it would spool up but Im guessin upper 4500RPM range.

Idk man, you need a built motor for what you want to do. Most bigger turbos arent very efficient at lower RPMS. They shine in the 15+psi range.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    why dont you get a 16g and use the nitrous as an intercooler sprayer.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

maximus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>why dont you get a 16g and use the nitrous as an intercooler sprayer.</div>
    Yes I was just thinking of that as well.I could even set it up so it would spray the intercooler at set rpms with the msd window switch.There are so many different ways I could set this motor up but I think I might have to build the motor up before I decide to spray n2o with a turbo.I like what I have read about the 16g turbo and I'm pretty sure it will be a direct bolt on but I like the idea of running both together.I have my zex set-up right now to spray at 3200rpms to 5800rpms is this about the same range the 16g is spooling at?I was told not spray below the 3200 mark so the idea of a big turbo with the n20 doesn't sound like it would work to well.Thanks maximus

Well with the 2.4, depending on which size 16g you get, could spool up as low as 3k rpm. Lag on a 16g with a 2.4L engine shouldnt be bad at all.
    7g for life!

maximus
    So a 16g turbo would be best.The small 16g turbo would spool up faster than the large 16g turbo but would not give as much horsepower as the large 16g.The other thing that I don't really understand is that you can run a turbo @ 10lbs but it doesn't matter the size of the turbo just the boost pressure which doesn't make sense to me because the bigger turbo's produce more air flow so how can this be?

Dont quite understand your q. 10psi on different sized turbos will yeild different numbers. But each turbo has its own efficiency range on different motors. The bigger the engine, the lower the boost you can run yet still stay in the turbos efficiency range(since bigger motors will flow more air).

It just depends on the size of turbo that you run. And not neciassarily the big 16g will put out more power then a small 16g. According to the compression maps, a small 16g will outflow a big 16g at 8psi in our 2.4L. But a big16g will put out more flow in upper boost and with the 7cm^2 turbine housing, it would hold the boost in the upper RPM range better.

Me and Jetblack did some calculations here:
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...pic.php?t=39792
    7g for life!

maximus
    Hmm I must of read some of the other posts wrong.From what I was reading on the boards is that it didn't matter if you was running a t3/t4 turbo or a 14b turbo the cut off for any turbo was 15lbs max.Which didn't make any sense to me because of the difference in air flow.the 14b @ 15lbs of boost is different from a t3/t4 @ 15lbs of boost.So with this said how do you know what the cut off for boost is on stock internals without blowing the engine?

Well thats the hard part. Theres really no telling through calculations and math. Something like that will have be determined between each setup while tuning on the dyno. And the better you have your car tuned, the safer it is to turn up the boost(to a certain extent).

And Im not sure how your internals will handle 10psi on a large 60trim turbo. If I were you I would run a 16g with bullseye housing, and build a spare engine on the side. Then when your spare engine is built, you could buy a nice size turbo for it and sell your current motor and 16g.
    7g for life!

maximus
    My new plans are just that but I think the evo8 turbo set-up is what I will start with.Still undecided about the n2o set-up but I will keep it for now and see what it can do on the dyno.I look forward to posting up some numbers with my new set-up it won't take me long.Thanks for all your help with this and I hope it will work with the turbo and the n2o.I might just put some forged pistons in for now.

Could throw in some forged pistons, have the stock rods shotpeaned(or get forged for $300 probably),ARP rodbolts/mainstuds, get a 4layer mitsu headgasket, ARP headstuds, and you should be able to handle a descent amount of boost.

The Evo VIII turbo is a nice turbo. Its a twinscroll 16g, probably more compareable to the Evo3 16g, but you would be able to put down some nice power with a descent motor.
    7g for life!