The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Loss of power after MODS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 60
    You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    the only o2 sensors you should use are the ones meant for the car. not having a cat isn't what's causing all these problems, there's something else amist. i'm a big time hater of anything but copper plugs, and i think you should look into getting yourself a spark plug gapper tool (what the hell are these things called anyways?). you can get them for under $2 at your local auto parts store. not saying your spark plugs are to blame, but anything besides NGK is shit. switch to NGK iridium plugs if you REALLY want to keep iridiums. again, i only preach for copper plugs though.

boosting vacuum pressure? advancing timing? if you didn't alter either of these before the problems started, screwing with them now is only going to make things worse. don't touch your timing untill everything is running perfectly and then you go down that road if you want to start tuning the motor n/a.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Did you damage the mass airflow sensor when installing your intake?
    Love,
    Matt

I don't think I did any damage to the MAF. I was able to reset the ECU and my service engine soon light went off and then I dorve the hell out of it. Got it up to 110 on the highway this afternoon. I am gonna check my plugs. Has anyone installed a S-AFC on the 8G? According to the site, it is not supported! I am also gonna get a fuel presure regulator. What else can I get to make adjustments to my ECU? Is there an alternative to Jet chips, something I can adjust as I add more MODS? Is thier an after MAf for these?

Many Thanks
    '99 ES Fed Spec
    Apexi SAFC
    OBX "R" header
    2.5" header back exhaust
    Dynomax Resonator (replaced cat)
    Bullet style 4" muffler with removable baffle
    Injen CIA
    Denso Iridium Spark Plugs
    NGK wires
    AEM Underdrive Pulleys (Alt, Water Pump)
    16" Alba rims

Interior:
    Leather seats (Aftermarket)
    Pioneer Head Unit
    Pioneer speakers

i think MAF = MAS. s-afc is universal, for the most part. tons of people on here have them on their 8Gs.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Guys... I am ready to burn this car. I have re-checked everything. Maybe I will but a cat back on it.
    '99 ES Fed Spec
    Apexi SAFC
    OBX "R" header
    2.5" header back exhaust
    Injen CIA
    NGK wires
    16" Alba rims

Interior:
    Pioneer Head Unit
    Pioneer speakers

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Make sure your 02 sensors are plugged in. Is it actually running like crap or just slow and sluggish? Is it missfiring?
    7g for life!

It is slow and sluggish. I feel like it has lost power on both high end and low end. The more research I do, the less direction I know where to go. everybody says something different. I have been considering getting it tuned at a dyno. still trying to get a SACF off ebay or maybe just get a fuel pressure regulator. Thinking about putting a cat back on. Maybe some wideband O2 sensors if they're cheap. Man.... I just don't know where to start.
    '99 ES Fed Spec
    Apexi SAFC
    OBX "R" header
    2.5" header back exhaust
    Injen CIA
    NGK wires
    16" Alba rims

Interior:
    Pioneer Head Unit
    Pioneer speakers

I'll check my O2 sensors to make sure they are plugged in
    Thanks
    '99 ES Fed Spec
    Apexi SAFC
    OBX "R" header
    2.5" header back exhaust
    Injen CIA
    NGK wires
    16" Alba rims

Interior:
    Pioneer Head Unit
    Pioneer speakers

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SpaceGhost711)</div><div class='quotemain'>It is slow and sluggish. I feel like it has lost power on both high end and low end. The more research I do, the less direction I know where to go. everybody says something different. I have been considering getting it tuned at a dyno. still trying to get a SACF off ebay or maybe just get a fuel pressure regulator. Thinking about putting a cat back on. Maybe some wideband O2 sensors if they're cheap. Man.... I just don't know where to start.</div>

no no no no no. someone back me up here. this is NOT the way to go. you think you have problems now? dynoTUNES are for tuning, not for fixing problems. S-afc is for tuning, not for adjusting an improperly running car.

if you're stumped take the car to a mechanic and pay the small amount of money to have them look at it.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Your car shouldn't be acting that way considering the mods you installed on the car. I see that a couple members mentioned the MAF being damaged. I would try to borrow another perfectly working MAF off another Galant and see if that corrects the problem...a bad MAF will cause the car to run bad since its not giving the ECU the correct air flow signal causing the car to run rich or lean, throw off timing, etc etc. Next make sure all the electrical plugs (MAF, O2 sensors) aren't damaged and snug tight and I would check for others plugs too...just in case. Worse case scenerio would be a bad ECU...maybe some electrical anomoly happened and shorted out the ECU. I also would check the ignition..make sure plugs aren't damaged and properly put in. I would make sure the spark wires are plugged tightly. Good Luck...if all else fails bring it to Mitsu or start diagnosing...put everything back to stock and slowing add each mod again.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Thanks... this is helpful. I am going to Autozone to see if it has any codes. Lastnight I check the connection on the O2 sensors and they seemed fine. I check the GAP on my plugs and they were fine. I really don't have access to a working MAF so hopefully I will figure something out at Autozone. I was considering putting the cat back on but from what I have found, the second O2 sensor has nothing to do with the way the ECU runs the motor so forget that. I live in Oklahome where they don't smog. I am going to get a FPR, adjustable cam gear and a timing light and head to the dyno soon after I figure out what's wrong. I will keep you guys posted. I want to kill Hondas. I got smoked but a stock '01 3G GS with a 5 speed, but I mean like one-and-a-half car lenghts in 400 feet, just smoked my ass so that might give you an idea. I understand that I am a little heavier the the eclispe but it was no contest. Oh well, not givin' up.
    The plug on the MAF is nice and tight.
    '99 ES Fed Spec
    Apexi SAFC
    OBX "R" header
    2.5" header back exhaust
    Injen CIA
    NGK wires
    16" Alba rims

Interior:
    Pioneer Head Unit
    Pioneer speakers

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Well if there is no check engine light, AutoZone will not find anything. I dont think theres anything wrong with your car. You lost to a 5spd 3g by 1-1/2 car lengths which is probably normal. Just your basic I/H/E on these cars will not make your car fast at all...
    7g for life!

I can't believe that after almost $1000 bucks in engine mods I should not expect any type of performance gains.
    '99 ES Fed Spec
    Apexi SAFC
    OBX "R" header
    2.5" header back exhaust
    Injen CIA
    NGK wires
    16" Alba rims

Interior:
    Pioneer Head Unit
    Pioneer speakers

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SpaceGhost711)</div><div class='quotemain'>I can't believe that after almost $1000 bucks in engine mods I should not expect any type of performance gains.</div>

it depends where that $1000 went. intake, headers and exhaust probably wont put you any closer to that 3g. just because you spent money doesn't mean you should be faster.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

I thought I wan doing the right thing, I mean E/I/H is the basic stuff right? Is FI the only option to go faster? That's kinda more than I wanted to put into the car.
    '99 ES Fed Spec
    Apexi SAFC
    OBX "R" header
    2.5" header back exhaust
    Injen CIA
    NGK wires
    16" Alba rims

Interior:
    Pioneer Head Unit
    Pioneer speakers

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SpaceGhost711)</div><div class='quotemain'>I thought I wan doing the right thing, I mean E/I/H is the basic stuff right? Is FI the only option to go faster? That's kinda more than I wanted to put into the car.</div>

i/h/e is the right thing, and will make your car faster. but not fast enough to make any huge differences on a 4banger. you're not going to get any real power unless you spend money. if you want easy cheap power get nitrous. and don't knock it before you know what it is and what it does.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qnz)</div><div class='quotemain'>i4s dont have a speed limiter on them.... im pretty sure</div>

pretty sure it's at 120. i've hit that a couple times, never more tho...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(b-boy_sky)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yes I do have a 2001 I4 cali spec.

Those numbers were with a cold air intake, headers, HFC, 2.5" cat back exhuast, magnecore wires, FPR and S-AFC. Â*It was tuned for nitrous so my air/fuel levels were 12:1.

Another member with a 99 fed spec, same mods as me except the FPR and tuned for N/A dynoed around 120 WHP and 165 lbs of trq....</div>

Now I have an idea of what I should expect. I am going to the dyno after I get my safc and cam gear. I will keep you guys posted. Any suggestions for a more aggressive cam?
    '99 ES Fed Spec
    Apexi SAFC
    OBX "R" header
    2.5" header back exhaust
    Injen CIA
    NGK wires
    16" Alba rims

Interior:
    Pioneer Head Unit
    Pioneer speakers

i think you really ought to do a full on tuneup. mcheck to make sure your timing is proper. if your cam timing is not dead on, you will lose power. especially on a sohc.
    i would also jack the car up and listen for exhaust leaks. listen at every single flange, and at every weld to see if there is a leak. leaks, especially one's near the header will kill your bottom end like none other

seriously though, all an safc2 will do at this point is mask your problem. yes it is the next step for you in your bolt on mods, but you really need to figure out what is cousing this loss in power.
    i hollowed out a cat on my 7g when it was non turbo and the power only went up.
    i also think you should get some regular maintenance in. change your fuel filter, run some fuel injector cleaner, check for vaccum leaks. if you have vaccum leaks, your car is going to run rich every time.

also try cleaning your throttle body as well.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

ok I am going to the mech and check my compression, exhaust leaks, and other thing included in a tune-up. Before I go, I am going to drive 'till my SES light comes back on.
    '99 ES Fed Spec
    Apexi SAFC
    OBX "R" header
    2.5" header back exhaust
    Injen CIA
    NGK wires
    16" Alba rims

Interior:
    Pioneer Head Unit
    Pioneer speakers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast