The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: who has a evo swap?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21

who has a evo swap?

well as ev'ryone prolly know im doing tha oh so infamous evo swap into my 8g and i waas wondering who has it done. i kno tat stewi has it since hes been my resource for all tha info i need and i know clay from galantspeed has it done but is there anymore? pics please if its okay.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    -Clay(the first)
    -Stewi
    -Cali

Only three people that I know of. Do you have your motor already? Ive heard 100s of members say they are "going to do the swap" I will believe it when I see some progress, but good luck to you.
    7g for life!

i have 2 to choose frum. my cuzin totalled his evo on 290 so im lookin to salvage tat. and one of my family members frum tha philippines is workin on a deal to get me a evo 9 4g63 wit tha mivec. but my concern ryt now actually is my five speed and my suspension..tein ss-p's.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>but good luck to you.</div>
    thanx im gunna need it

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Experienced TGC Member
    Just to add, your on an AWESOME track. I'm glad that you decided not to waste your money on shit like CAI and headers. In the end, you will also be MUCH happier with the money you save.

Though, I still wonder if you really want to do the 63 swap. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I wish I had an I4 just so I can go turbo with it. I personally wouldn't even bother with either the 5spd or the EVO engine. Granted, both are great for high-hp, but in this platform (WRONG WHEEL DRIVE), the power is for the most part worthless. Even with a Quafie LSD, and auto, us V6 guys can barely hook up. I can't imagine how useless 1st gear must be in the 5spd.

yea i kno i would've wasted a good 5bills on sumpin im gunna store in tha basement after tha swap. and i thank TGC for it. lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just to add, your on an AWESOME track. Â*I'm glad that you decided not to waste your money on shit like CAI and headers. Â*In the end, you will also be MUCH happier with the money you save.

Though, I still wonder if you really want to do the 63 swap. Â*I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Â*I wish I had an I4 just so I can go turbo with it. Â*I personally wouldn't even bother with either the 5spd or the EVO engine. Â*Granted, both are great for high-hp, but in this platform (WRONG WHEEL DRIVE), the power is for the most part worthless. Â*Even with a Quafie LSD, and auto, us V6 guys can barely hook up. Â*I can't imagine how useless 1st gear must be in the 5spd.</div>
    Stewi has a helical quaiffe and 5spd and he said he harldy ever looses traction in first, even when the turbo spools up, which is rather amazing seing how I loose traction at like 5psi with no LSD
    7g for life!

i heard about that its pretty cool. he says he duznt have wheel spin in 2nd or 3rd at all. thaz pretty amazing considering he has like 360 sumthing hp on a fwd. one of my uncles old gst-s had sumpin like 350 - 380 hp and he didnt hook up totally until end of 3rd gear

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just to add, your on an AWESOME track. Â*I'm glad that you decided not to waste your money on shit like CAI and headers. Â*In the end, you will also be MUCH happier with the money you save.

Though, I still wonder if you really want to do the 63 swap. Â*I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Â*I wish I had an I4 just so I can go turbo with it. Â*I personally wouldn't even bother with either the 5spd or the EVO engine. Â*Granted, both are great for high-hp, but in this platform (WRONG WHEEL DRIVE), the power is for the most part worthless. Â*Even with a Quafie LSD, and auto, us V6 guys can barely hook up. Â*I can't imagine how useless 1st gear must be in the 5spd.</div>
    Stewi has a helical quaiffe and 5spd and he said he harldy ever looses traction in first, even when the turbo spools up, which is rather amazing seing how I loose traction at like 5psi with no LSD </div>

Wow, that is pretty damn amazing. What did times did Stewi run again? Hmmm I wonder what the secret to traction is (anything buy slicks).

Get a helical LSD and drag radials(not slicks )
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just to add, your on an AWESOME track. Â*I'm glad that you decided not to waste your money on shit like CAI and headers. Â*In the end, you will also be MUCH happier with the money you save.

Stewi has a helical quaiffe and 5spd and he said he harldy ever looses traction in first, even when the turbo spools up, which is rather amazing seing how I loose traction at like 5psi with no LSD </div>

Wow, that is pretty damn amazing. What did times did Stewi run again? Hmmm I wonder what the secret to traction is (anything buy slicks).</div>

Getting traction has some many different routes and techniques to achieve it. You could start by buying the right tires for track use or running lower pressure than normal on tires to get some type of traction. Then you can get into LSD which is more involved and more expensive. Then there is getting the right setup on suspension to keep the wheels on the ground. Then there is technique which is from using the gas, using the clutch or starting off a higher hear especially if you are putting our massive power. There is so much involved with traction...I couldn't explain all, heck..i'm still learning. 8)

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Get a helical LSD and drag radials(not slicks )</div>

Oh wow, didn't even know their was a differance. Though I think your right, a helical seems to be more aggressive in making sure you dont spin your wheels.

4-G-Rim, I hear ya on that. I'm going to have to be looking at those techniques pretty soon.

Theres a big difference between a helical and just an insert like the B&M or SBR inserts. OBX makes a quaiffe helical rippoff LSD, I think I am going to look into it, Stewi said that it has gotten praise from the HOnda croud.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-Helical...sspagenameZWDVW
    7g for life!

imagine this
    you drop the clutch at 10,000 rpms(haha) on your stock differential when your (on 7g's) passenger tire is sitting on a patch of ice. what happens?
    your passenger tire spins frantically.

same scenario but with an insert
    both tires spin like crazy even though only one has traction. once you are off the ice, both tires will continue to spin nutile they both hook up(which obviously will happen faster than just one tire)

with a helical lsd
    the passenger tire on the ice actually doesn't move at all or spins very slowly, the drivers tire will spin cause its the one with traction.
    then, after they are both off the ice, power will be distributed proportionally to each wheel to maximize the total traction between the 2

so pretend you only have the two wheels in the front cause rears don't matter in this model
    imagine your stock differential in its effectiveness when it comes top traction:
    1 wheel drive

lsd insert
    2 wheel drive

helical lsd
    all wheel drive

though not entirely accurate info here, perhaps this simple model can help get the basics of the concept across

so an insert is a cheap and effective way to drastically increase your traction.
    although a quaife and other full blown drop in LSD's much more expensive, they yeild much better results. so choice would be a matter of your goals and/or budget

there are other equally important benifits to a lsd that don't involve off the line traction. such as power distribution during cornering.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    Oh damn guys this is GREAT info. Time to go back to square one and redo my research...howstuffworks.com

this is sum great info. i learned sumpin new todai not to say im getting more excited bout my swap

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4g63lover)</div><div class='quotemain'>this is sum great info. Â*i learned sumpin new todai not to say im getting more excited bout my swap</div>
    Man I think you need to learn how to spell before you start on a swap.

sum = some
    sumpin = something
    todai = today

I know you can do it, quit trying to act dumb..
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4g63lover)</div><div class='quotemain'>this is sum great info. Â*i learned sumpin new todai not to say im getting more excited bout my swap</div>
    Man I think you need to learn how to spell before you start on a swap.

sum = some
    sumpin = something
    todai = today

I know you can do it, quit trying to act dumb..</div>

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

w/e well does anyone know their times? I know stewi runs 13's. how about cali and clay?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    I ran 13.6 @ 107 on a wet track and it was my first time "racing" so I sucked, but no excuses, it ran what it ran and I can only hope for better next time

Clay has never actually driven his car with the swap, as far as I know, he got it running and then that was it

Cali from what I hear is almost done with his, I know its already in the car, I think he was just doing some more wiring then he was gonna fire it up.

Im hoping to get my car back to the track before the end of this season, prolly have it there late october early november.

As far as traction is concerned, dont just dump the clutch, slip it a little and ease off it, mess around with your tire pressures depending on track conditions. I didnt have any traction issues when I went to MIR, but I also wasnt fully spooled (18psi) off the line, I was only around 12-14 psi, but even when it spooled up I didnt get any wheelspin
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Getting a high powered FWD to hook up isnt rocket science.

Keeping an auto trans when you have the option of a manual is a bit unfortunate... They even make a car SOUND worse IMO But I wont get into that debate.

A guy I know in my city has a nissan primera (little sedan thing, similar to an altima I think?) with an sr20DET in it, 5sp, no LSD yet, and he still manages to make it hook up no worries - just got a carbon clutch which doesnt mind a little slippage and the things flying. Ran a 13.9 @ 105 the other day on 10psi, engine is damn near stock, even got down to 2.2 60fts.

Learn to drive it right, and you'll be fine. Anyone can make an FWD spin up, no matter how unpowered the thing is, they key is knowing when to back off, not mash the pedal like an idiot. Even my little honda city could spin up 4th gear in the wet if I kept it on boost - if i drove it properly the thing would be fine.
    1994 E84 VR4 V6
    Single turbo conversion
    Fulltime RWD w/ mechanical LSD

Fun times 8)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast