The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 56K Beware Australian Version of the 9G

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    aRDEi

56K Beware Australian Version of the 9G

Hey all,

Replacing the not so popular success of the loaclly built Mitsubishi Magna in Australia (some models exported to US,etc as Diamante)...Mitsubishi Motors Australia Limited had decided to replace it with an all new model.

Now, the model of choice was to use the PS41 platform that the 9G is made on. Many weren't pleased with the looks of the 9G (particularly from the front) and were crying out "we're doomed."

Now, this car (Named the Mitsubishi 380 after its engine capacity) is due to be released on September 28th, and there have been spy pics floating around but they really did cover up the front too well and we had no idea what to expect! Well now, someone found a picture on the intarweb, enlarged it and I bring to you the 2005 Mitsubishi 380

The front is particularly what has changed, the rear is about the same as the 9G and the interior is only slightly modified (and the steering wheel is on the right )

The specs are pretty much the same as the US Galant (except we dont get the 2.4 Mivec...which is a shame cos of fuel prices):

Base Models: ~178kw ( 238hp)

Sports Models: ~190kw (255hp)

With a Ralliart version to be considered depending on the success of the model (plus possibly AWD at some stage!)

I personally think it looks great...any comments

Rear:

Spy Car Pics

thump306
    i love it :thumbsup:

rainfever
    i didn't think US galants had those kinda HP numbers

Now that is what they should change the 9G to look like 8)

All they had to do was to redesign the front bumper and you get better overall comments. Stupid USDM designers should of thought of that back in 2004.

aRDEi
    More Pre-Release Pics

So far all the pics I've posted are of the Sport model (except for the yellow one) so expect the base to me more subtle.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    That front bumper looks SOO much better than the USDM version! The 9g is looking better and better.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

basically, its EXACTLY the same car. maybe 1 percent difference.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>basically, its EXACTLY the same car. Â*maybe 1 percent difference.</div>
    Its a RHD USDM 9g, but for the Aussies
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    I wonder if Mitsu over on that side of the world will make a VR4 model of the 9g? :?

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

aRDEi
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4-G-rim)</div><div class='quotemain'>I wonder if Mitsu over on that side of the world will make a VR4 model of the 9g? :?</div>

Not likely, Mitsubishi Motors Australia are pretty not-power orientated when it comes to making the four-door Aussie sedans. Which is a really big pity considering Aussies thrive on their four door family sedans on having V8 engines (or more recently Turbo Inline 6) pumping out over 350hp at the engine and through the rear wheels.

The best Mitsubishi Australia came up with (besides this 380) was the Mitsubishi Magna Sports which had 163kw (220hp at the engine) through the front wheels, and more impressively the Mitsubishi Magna Ralliart which had 180kw (240hp at the engine) also running through the front wheels (thank god it had an LSD in manual form!!!).

Which may sound impressive considering the car weighs less, but its still not appealable to what the Aussies want. An AWD version of the Magna was made, but unfortunately was detuned because apparently the gearbox can't handle so much power , and so it was only released with a tiptronic automatic gearbox and it was rather heavy. Although, word has it that an Evo Manual Gearbox would bolt up!

Still, Mitsubishi is doing it NA all the way . So the absence of RWD, 8 cylinders and a form of of forced induction is what deters Aussies from even bothering to testdrive Mitsubishi's Australian made cars.

Although, the ones that do have the balls do it are beyond impressed and would never think of calling a Magna a 'grandpa's car' again! :shock:

The Aussie Galant is very nice, Lol! I like the U.S. Galant as well, but the Australian car is better, with a mature look. I swear it looks like it want's to whoop someones arse!