The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Steering Wheel Shimmy will not go away!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 29 of 29
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glantv699)</div><div class='quotemain'>when i originally bought my wheels and put them on they were fine....this shaking is a problem that has developed over time and after repeatedly taking them off and putting them on for whatever job it may be...the shaking persists</div>

It likely persists because the hub, rotor hat, and studs aren't cleaned each time, allowing for added runout causing a vibration.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>after balancing there was an improvement but like ipaintu said most shops only balance up to certain speeds, so i still have to deal with shaking at 60+mph</div>

Thats wrong. When a tire and wheel is balanced its done so on a high speed or road force balancer, that spins the tire/wheel as fast as necessary to properly balance it. It doesn't matter if you drive 45mph or 85 mph, its going to be the same.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>tire pressure is pretty crucial for me it seems because that affected the severity of the shaking....mainly in the front, gotta have it even and ideal for the weather</div>

Air pressure is a HUGE factor, and it should always be maintained and kept at proper recommended levels. Recommended levels being availible on your vehicle door placard, gas filler door, glove box, and or owners manual.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>when i put my 16" steelies back on this past winter i had the same problem but i think with less wheel diameter it is less noticeable. who knows anymore.....I know everybody says fix it but I'm tired of dropping extra money on balancing (which can be thrown off simply by the removal of wheels or the adhesive weights detaching). if I drove more highway miles I'd be more concerned, but the G is good to me so if it ever gets to a point which i feel is BAD, i'll take care of it. pinoy's scenarios should help you diagnose the matter according to your wheel setup- his knowledge of the G is untouchable</div>

A 14" wheel is not going to be smoother than a 28" wheel just from sheer size. Its all about the wheel and tire being properly balanced, diameter doesn't matter.

Though if not installed properly weights can come off allowing for repeated vibration, not to mention improper measuring of where the weights are supposed to be placed on a wheel. Also it would do goo to mention there is 'slippage' of the tire on the wheel on occasion. It will be more common after the tire is first mounted, but if a car is driven hard it can persist.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>hopefully you can get somewhere with this isssue....personally i think making aftermarket wheels ride perfectly in the G is somewhat of a challenge and will end up being costly if you want a stock feel</div>

I've done hundreds of cars with aftermarket wheels with each and everyone of them rides as smooth as stock, with the obvious exception of added diameter wheels (i.e. 20" wheels) having stiffer tires with more road feel. However they ride smooth as factory.

Hey

Mine is doing this terribly at even low speeds. Thanks for all the info in this thread guys. I'm going about fixing it starting asap.
    })({ Heather })({

- "If you never take risks, you'll have a wasted soul."

skymaster337

I replaced my lower control arm bushing

OK here's the deal I replaced my lower control arm bushing it seemed to have softed the shimmy a little. Before I can feel some vibrations on my ass and my back from the seat. Now those are gone. However, the shimmy is still there but not as bad. I had my tires Highspeed balanced before replacing the Bushing. I'm probably gonna go back and have them balance it again. . Let me know if there are any other things I might be able to do.

Re: I replaced my lower control arm bushing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skymaster337)</div><div class='quotemain'>OK here's the deal I replaced my lower control arm bushing it seemed to have softed the shimmy a little. Before I can feel some vibrations on my ass and my back from the seat. Now those are gone. However, the shimmy is still there but not as bad. I had my tires Highspeed balanced before replacing the Bushing. I'm probably gonna go back and have them balance it again. . Let me know if there are any other things I might be able to do.</div>

Make sure they inspect the tires for tread seperation.

Btw, welcome to the Forums, and its good to see another MIchigander!

skymaster337

Sup

yeah its nice to see a michigander. I got new tires too so its not the tires. Is yours shaking too? help!!!

Re: Sup

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skymaster337)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah its nice to see a michigander. I got new tires too so its not the tires. Is yours shaking too? help!!!</div>

When did the shaking start? Before or after the tires?

skymaster337
    before, so I had the tires replaced cause I needed to anyways. got them highspeed balanced. Still shaking. and had the lower control arm bushing replaced. and was little better. Maybe I should go get them balanced again.

Mine was doing this so bad. Eventually my front right tire busted, causing a big bubble in it. I got that tired replaced, and another one that was dry rotting. They rotated my old tires to the front, and put the two new ones on the rear, then balanced them. I no longer have any kind of shake or shimmy. Ever since I bought my Galant 2 years ago, it's shaken above 70 mph, but now it's smooth at even 100mph. I'm thrilled. It was just shitty tires for me. Hope it works out for you without costing a bunch.
    })({ Heather })({

- "If you never take risks, you'll have a wasted soul."

i hadthe same problem with my V6, it turned out to be the caliper and a rotor on the brakes, dealer could not find what was wrong. I took it to Midas and they figured it out right away. It still shimmy's alittle , but not as bad as it used to. Mitsubishi uses crappy calipers.
    2001 Galant ES V6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12