The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Steering Wheel Shimmy will not go away!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 29

Steering Wheel Shimmy will not go away!!!!!!!!!

Ok everyone,

I have had quite the time with my V6 G lately, as the steering wheel shimmies pretty bad at speeds above 65MPH. The strange thing about the whole situation is that I do not really feel a vibration throughout the vehicle at all. I've done the following items on the vehicle in attempt to correct issue, only to find out that the issue remains:

1. Roadforce balancing on all four tires with results of no bent rims, and with the highest roadforce reading of 10lbs.

2. Front driver and passenger side halfshaft assemblies (excluding the intermediate shaft on the passenger side).

3. Outer tie rod ends.

4. Control arm replacement (inclusive of balljoints) on driver and passenger side.

5. New struts on front driver and passenger side.

6. New tires with the roadforce balancing.

This is not the typical balance job that cures the shimmy. Something else is wrong with this vehicle and I need additional ideas. Someone please help!!

Thanks!

ipaintu
    mine does it too I just live with it. I think its a Galant thing I have seen some post about this. They told me to get the Hub washers and yadda yadda hasnt helped Just got use to it..

Sorry ..

Ive got the same problem & I have no clue what to do. Ive been tryin to figure it out too. Lemme know if any other progress is made. Im thinkin bout just replacing different components as well...just another excuse to upgrade parts!!

Lo§'s 99 GTZ

Well today I noticed a very very slight play in the driver's side wheel when grasping at the 3 and 9 'o clock position and attempted to wiggle back and forth. It felt like a wheel that was not tightened all the way on the hub, only in this case it was. Barely noticable, but could have an effect in the steering while traveling at about 70MPH. Wondering if this has something to do with the tie rods.

If you have lowered the car the v6 will shake. The passenger side axil is bound up. I had the problem put the origional springs back on and problem went away.

Wes
    Another fine post brought to you By:
    The Manâ„¢
    Search the boards first please!

do you have aftermarket wheels??

my 15's which are factory mitsubishi wheels are are lugcetnric and they don't vibrate.

my 16's are aftermarket and hubcentric and they vibrate at high speeds.

my 18's are aftermarket and hubcentric and they don't vibrate

why do my 16's vibrate and my my 18's dont?? well my 18's have hubcentric rings that center the wheel more perfectly than if i were just to bolt them on regularly like i do with my 16's without the hubcentric rings.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ipaintu)</div><div class='quotemain'>mine does it too Â*I just live with it. Â*

Sorry ..</div>

what?
    thats rediculous.

get it fixed. its more than likely just a tire and / or rim issues (aftermarket rims are notoriously awful for this. Theyre rarely balanced correctly, and rarely fit well)

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ipaintu)</div><div class='quotemain'>mine does it too Â*I just live with it. Â*

Sorry ..</div>

what?
    thats rediculous.

get it fixed. its more than likely just a tire and / or rim issues (aftermarket rims are notoriously awful for this. Theyre rarely balanced correctly, and rarely fit well)</div>

I am with Manybrews on this.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Well I have no wiggle play if I grab the wheel at the 12 and 6 o' clock position, but I do have a very slight bit of play by wiggling wheel at the 3 and 9 'o clock position. This tells me that the hub bearing assembly is good, but something in the suspension is slightly loose. My outer tie rods were replaced about 20k miles ago, but my inners have yet to be replaced. Just for isolation purposes I will be having a new set of inner rods installed later this week. Maybe this will correct the slight bit of shimmy I experience above 70 MPH. At current, the car has 131,000 miles. Is it uncommon for inner tie rods to wear at this mileage?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mdavisii)</div><div class='quotemain'>At current, the car has 131,000 miles. Â*Is it uncommon for inner tie rods to wear at this mileage?</div>

no. Its very common.

yo i got the same promble when i go over 60 and i got 16 stock gtz rims and stock suppension it a 2001 with only 58k what the deal where can i get hubcentric does it really work

2010 Evo Gsr
    2001 GTZ
    1999 eclipse sold
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/633489

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burthold)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you have lowered the car the v6 will shake. The passenger side axil is bound up. I had the problem put the origional springs back on and problem went away.

Wes</div>

So does everyone in here w/a V6 & drop on here have the shimmy? Anyway to free it up other than putting the lift kit back on?

Lo§'s 99 GTZ

Is it possible that Mitsubishi underestimated the speed rating of our tires? In other words, is there anyone out there running the recommended H rated tire on a V6 without experiencing any vibrations/shimmying? I have a friend who installed two different sets of H rated tires on his wife's Accord (Potenza G0009 and AVID H4s), and the steering wheel would shimmy at speeds above 65MPH. Switched to a V rated tire (Turanza LS-V), and car ran like brand new. The suspension on the Hondas are so touchy they have to use the softer rubber compound of the V rated tire to achieve the best comfort.

can anybody answer my question

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
    yo i got the same promble when i go over 60 and i got 16 stock gtz rims and stock suppension it a 2001 with only 58k what the deal where can i get hubcentric does it really work
    </div>

2010 Evo Gsr
    2001 GTZ
    1999 eclipse sold

ipaintu
    ok here is the answer...

I just got new tires monday.. I went and had the speed balanced. Your local tire shops balancer only goes up to 60mph.. This is why it starts at 60mph.. If you find a shop that does true HIGH speeds up to 135 mph and pay like 25.00 a tire to get balanced It will go away Mine did.. I tried everything i could last set. This set did same thing. best part tho is Dont do all 4 just do 2 front and your fine. When I got the new ones this week it shock at 60 till i went to speedshop and had done. Now im smoooooooth...

Hope this helps.

Someone correct me if i am wrong, but if you have stock GTZ rims I believe hubcentric rings are not necessary.

im try that out thanks man

2010 Evo Gsr
    2001 GTZ
    1999 eclipse sold

rainfever
    anyone else have luck with it? balancing above 60mph?

skymaster337

I tried Speed balancing

I tried speed balancing it still shake. I see posts in here look up steering shimmy. According to their posts they say the lower control arm bushing should be replaced. I just ordered mine online and should be coming. They cost 45 a pop I'm replacing the left and right. I'll let you guys know what's up. Wish me luck!!!

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    when i originally bought my wheels and put them on they were fine....this shaking is a problem that has developed over time and after repeatedly taking them off and putting them on for whatever job it may be...the shaking persists

after balancing there was an improvement but like ipaintu said most shops only balance up to certain speeds, so i still have to deal with shaking at 60+mph

tire pressure is pretty crucial for me it seems because that affected the severity of the shaking....mainly in the front, gotta have it even and ideal for the weather

when i put my 16" steelies back on this past winter i had the same problem but i think with less wheel diameter it is less noticeable. who knows anymore.....I know everybody says fix it but I'm tired of dropping extra money on balancing (which can be thrown off simply by the removal of wheels or the adhesive weights detaching). if I drove more highway miles I'd be more concerned, but the G is good to me so if it ever gets to a point which i feel is BAD, i'll take care of it. pinoy's scenarios should help you diagnose the matter according to your wheel setup- his knowledge of the G is untouchable

hopefully you can get somewhere with this isssue....personally i think making aftermarket wheels ride perfectly in the G is somewhat of a challenge and will end up being costly if you want a stock feel

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast