The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Louder after timing belt?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 25 of 25
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2_blue)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well We had a Mitsu/Toyota/Lexus dealership combined and they used to be good. After that about a year ago Mitsu part of it was shut down and they made a new one 2 months ago ... and after my first experience with them I don't like them a whole lot. Â*

I currently live in Lansing, Michigan ... but I'm moving to Toronto, ON (Canada) ... soon. Thats why I wanted to get all the work done on the car before I left.

What exactly do you have to do the correct this problem? Like do you have to take off everything and then re-do it? How would you make sure the balance shaft is in phase ...

Thanks.</div>

yeah, to fix it you basically need to remove and reinstall the balance shaft.
    To correctly place the balance shaft, you need to remove a plug in the side of the block, and rotate the sprocket until a screwdriver slides into the hole. at that point the balance shaft will be at the bottom of its phase, and will be correctly timed.
    if you dont do that and only line up the timing mark on the front, you have a 50/50 chance of having the balance shaft at the TOP of its phase, as its on a 2 to 1 reduction from the sprocket.

EDIT! I meant remove the belt, not balance shaft.

j686m
    dude, remove the entire balance shaft? i dont think so
    to find out if its timed correctly just take the belt off and point the pointer on the oilpump/balance shaft straight up and let it go. if it falls torward the mark then put it the rest of the way there and its on. if it falls away from the mark then turn it one whole revolution and try again. much easier than messing with that stupid plug.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    ^ Yah and check it with a screwdriver just to be sure
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by j686m
    dude, remove the entire balance shaft? i dont think so
    to find out if its timed correctly just take the belt off and point the pointer on the oilpump/balance shaft straight up and let it go. if it falls torward the mark then put it the rest of the way there and its on. if it falls away from the mark then turn it one whole revolution and try again. much easier than messing with that stupid plug.
    yeah, i know that.

I kinda "mis-wrote" when I said remove the balance shaft. I meant remove the timing belt.

and I didnt want to tell anyone about doing it by "feel", because although it makes perfect sense when youve been working on them for 15 years, it is hard to explain over the internet.
    messing with the plug is also better in this case, because you can tell if the balance shaft is out of synch WITHOUT removing the belt, or anything else.

j686m
    i know, just messin with ya

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12