The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 3.8 liter (MIVEC) Cold air intake is out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 40

3.8 liter (MIVEC) Cold air intake is out!

There is a cold air intake out for the 3.8 liter V6 Eclipse already. The Company is called Fujita Competition. It's sold on www.ptuning.com website. Price is $321.95, so it aint cheap, but dynos at 17+ H.P. to the wheels. I don't think it's going to give these kind of gains with the 9g 3.8 liter, but it looks like it will fit and be good for at least 10+ H.P. But Damn! 17+ H.P. to the wheels alone. either it's B.S. or our 3.8 liters are very restrictive and consume too much hot air! I'm getting the itch to do a first upgrade, but I want to see what other competition comes out.According to this dyno the stock Eclipse tops out at 230 H.P. to the wheels. Very underrated compared to the factory spec of 260 to the crank!

factory intakes almost never consume hot air. if you follow the ducting on 9 out of 10 cars, it lead out of the engine bay in one way or another, in order to pull cooler ambient air in. another factor ids that since the factory intake is made of abs plastic, it won't soak heat from the engine bay. however most factory intkaes are designed to eliminate intake decibels and act as restriction in order to enhance fuel efficiency.

just thought i would point that out.

300+ for merely an intake sounds outrageous to me. i don't know how they came up with that price. but i do know that the quantity demand at that price will be quite low.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

man it would be like 50 dollars cheaper if they didn't use t bolt clamps and give you a hat you won't wear and a duffel bag you don't need, also even more if they used non reinforced hoses (over kill on non pressurized application).

it looks nice though. 1 piece design. i'm sure it sounds dreamy on a big 3.8l

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

theblackpearl
    lmfao why the fuck would you include a duffel bag and a hat?

this is somewhat tempting, don't know if I should purchase this... :?

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCSTUNR
    factory intakes almost never consume hot air. if you follow the ducting on 9 out of 10 cars, it lead out of the engine bay in one way or another, in order to pull cooler ambient air in. another factor ids that since the factory intake is made of abs plastic, it won't soak heat from the engine bay. however most factory intkaes are designed to eliminate intake decibels and act as restriction in order to enhance fuel efficiency.

just thought i would point that out.

300+ for merely an intake sounds outrageous to me. i don't know how they came up with that price. but i do know that the quantity demand at that price will be quite low.
    Heat still plays a factor. As always the factory filter housing lies inside and usually above the block. In our case that block happens to be cast iron (very hot). You still get heat soak, even with the plastic ducting, as well as the point the filter is taking in air. This is why aftermarket intakes are below and just away from that point in the engine bay. But you are right, the major problem is restriction. This is why I wrote them in order from, restriction to temperture. And $300.00 is a lot. That's why I want to wait and see what else comes out, now that the competition is heating up.

thanks for the lecture on plastic ducting.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    sorry, over $300 for that pos is a rip off. it's just a metal pipe. it's not even DOT approved is it? and 17whp gains is complete bullshit. i doubt it even made half of that to the crank. ask to see a dyno sheet lol
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

hell i'll sell ya a small 45 deg rubber elbow and a CAI for my 8G....same thing pretty much... you could make this exact same intake from about $5 worth of parts from ebay...

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    yea, for the prce, its not worth it. I guess thats the reason why I made my own POS intake.

TGC Regular
    i bet you will make some power from that big ol' 3.8 motor

when is we gon be free????

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    sorry, over $300 for that pos is a rip off. it's just a metal pipe. it's not even DOT approved is it? and 17whp gains is complete bullshit. i doubt it even made half of that to the crank. ask to see a dyno sheet lol
    The Dyno sheet is on there for the Eclipse! But I still have a hard time believing it!

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdman13
    hell i'll sell ya a small 45 deg rubber elbow and a CAI for my 8G....same thing pretty much... you could make this exact same intake from about $5 worth of parts from ebay...
    Does that come with the airflow sensor adapter?

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torque&Scoot
    Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    The Dyno sheet is on there for the Eclipse! But I still have a hard time believing it!
    hmm i see it now. i wish i could believe it, i mean, its a 3.8L V6 with mivec. an intake on that motor would prove some big gains. but sorry, not 17whp. thats over 25 at the crank at least. that dyno sheet could be from anywhere.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

has anyone actually SEEN the intake system for the eclipse?

its nothing at all like the galant... its DUAL STAGED (actually has a secondary flapper that opens at high speed to allow more airflow.) it flows plenty. sounds pretty good, too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>has anyone actually SEEN the intake system for the eclipse?

its nothing at all like the galant... its DUAL STAGED (actually has a secondary flapper that opens at high speed to allow more airflow. Â*it flows plenty. Â*sounds pretty good, too.</div>

Is that like in the Eclipse GTS (butterfly valves that open up in the intake maifold to create variable width runners)?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>has anyone actually SEEN the intake system for the eclipse?

its nothing at all like the galant... its DUAL STAGED (actually has a secondary flapper that opens at high speed to allow more airflow. Â*it flows plenty. Â*sounds pretty good, too.</div> The duel flapper concept sounds pretty cool for the MIVEC Eclipse Do you think this intake puts out the W.H.P. that it claims, if the Eclipse flows that well, then there's no way their claimed H.P. improvement is true. Although a decent engineered intake might help more on the Galant. What is your advice on this. Would you happen to know the drivetrain loss on this since your a Mits Tech. I was thinking 15%, but I only had allwheel and reardrive on my GSX and RX8. So I'm not too familar with a front drive car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torque&Scoot)</div><div class='quotemain'>It seems you know more about this intake then we do! </div>

wonder why that is?? :puzzled1: lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thebirdman13)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torque&Scoot)</div><div class='quotemain'>It seems you know more about this intake then we do! </div>

wonder why that is?? :puzzled1: lol</div> I know! See question about drivetrain loss! Look! I'm just asking questions about the Galant to increase my knowledge. It's also one of the reasons I joined this forum. I'd like to get a mature response, when I do ask. I asked manybrews this question because I heard he is a Mitsu Tech. Joking is fine, but let it be understood as such, let's try to show some courtesy to all our fellow members.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast