The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Thinking about Ext Warranty, any thoughts?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Thinking about Ext Warranty, any thoughts?

A question for people with over 50K .

My Warranty will be up in December, and I have 20k miles on my 2000 ES. So I'm not very sure about spending $1000 on an extended warranty that'll take me another 7 yrs and up to 100k miles.

Have you guys had any major repair so far?

i just broke my warranty and i went through the same choice. Personally? Why bother? the major components are still covered. Its up to you but i wouldn't really worry about it just my opinion.

But hell for $1000? Its definetly worth it.

I recently used up my 36K mile warranty and also went through the same choice. The power train is still covered for 7/70, and I've got a good mechanic that's not at the dealer so I decided it wasn't worth the extra grand to purchase the extended warranty.

Read it carefully and see what's covered and what your deductible is. Mine was $150. I figured if anything broke, I could probably get it fixed out of warranty for less than the deductible so I passed on it.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Nick VR4
    my warranty is up next May 2003
    I'll ask my dealership nearer the time about this
    As long as its not mega cash I'll go for it I guess
    I would prefer to be covered just in case
    Than not to have cover and something big goes wrong

Galant_01
    I got the extended warranty from the dealer which covers me fully for 75,000 miles or 5 years! I don't remember how much it was but I have used it! You should know that you also have to pay a $100 deductible on repairs over $500! Which I thought was BS! But my horn got stuck on my Galant at about 40,000 miles (because I punched it really hard but they did not know that! I told them I hit the horn cause some guy pulled out in front of my and it stuck!) and they had to replace the whole airbag system just to replace the horn! That was $1400! So yea the warranty has come in handy because I could not have gotten my car re-inspected without a working horn! But anyway if you don't have alot of mods I think it is a good idea! Because it is not Mitsu who provides the warranty they can be really strict and specific about mods on the car! But anyway just weigh your options!

BlueESV6
    Extended warranties are like an insurance policy against your car breaking... consider the deductables as others have said...

also consider how many miles you'll be putting on your car. I put too many on mine to make it worth it. (would've run out too soon)

also consider shopping around. call different dealers because you may be able to find a dealer to sell the warranty cheaper!

make sure if you get the warranty that any "mods" you do won't void it. You wouldn't want to waste your hard earned $$!

last, consider if you feel your car will break or is it reliable. If you think it's going to break down and is not reliable then you may want that coverage.

I think consumer reports was saying it was pretty much of a waste but if you have a large ticket item break it will all seem worth it! It's a roll of the dice....

Good Luck with your decision

Black2k1GTZ
    Like allen said...I would consider what mods you are planning to do. If you are planning on doing anything major...turbo, sc etc...then I wouldnt worry about it. But if you are not planning anything major then I would go for it...your car is still young with only 20k on it!!! Plus unless you dont take care of your car...you shouldnt worry about any major repairs being needed!!!

Marc :mg:

Thanks for your help people !!

I may go either warantygold or 1stsource since they both have very good reviews and offer with 0 deductible for under $1k ...

Oh well I still have a month to think..

Gilhuly
    If you really beat non your car you might consider it. I have 76K or something on my 99 ES V6 and have had nothing go wrong with the car that warrantee would have helped with. Brakes turned once(35K), then replaced at 70K, one set of brake pads fr & R, two radiator flushes, change the oil evry 3-4K, change your tranny fluid every 30k, changed the plugs/wires to Magnecors at 60k (cleaned my throttle body while the intake was off), new tires at 75K. I've had tail lights, dashboard lights blow and replaced them myself with the help of this board. If you don't pay attention to your car or don't have a feel for when something is going wrong (i.e. losing coolant - get rid of those hose clips and get real clamps) it might be worth it, but I really feel like my Galant is a fundamentally sound piece of machinery which Mits USA cheesed on some of the little things, but this is a hell of a car for the money and is solid enough to really build up into something. My car is nicer now than when it was new. I'd take the thousand bucks and work on throttle body/headers/exhast or put it into the suspension springs/shocks/struts/stiffening. Any of these things will make you feel better about your car every day. Warrantee only feels good when something catastrophic happens.

i dunno...i got my extended warranty when i first got the car. i think it covers me for like 8 years or 100k miles. but nonetheless, look @ what's included inthe warranty. i mean with my warranty, i have no need for AAA or anything like that cuz thats included. if my car is in the shop for over a day, i get a rental car. if im out of town and the same happens, i get hotel til my car is fixed or i get a rental car. o yea 3 strikes and you're out says my warranty. if something breaks under warranty 3 times, guess what, i get a brand new car, and equivalent ov course but yea. to me its like worth it. i got like 6 more years for that dome lamp to fall off and i get a whole new car...

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

99GalantOn18s

dont do it... dont do it

dont do it man... my transmission went out on my car and i only had 65,000 miles on it... and they wouldnt honor my extended warranty... i had to pay $3000 for new transmission stuff... they never told me y they wouldnt pay for it... to me its a waste of money :evil: :evil: