The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7G: LSD Install - 100% complete - finished

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 40 of 40
    Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    what size wrench or socket did you use to... "get those nuts off?"
    These are some... "pretty big nuts." Probably..." the biggest nuts i've ever come across."

serious question, just thought it sounded funny.

I'm thinking 34mm, but i can't find anything that size.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>what size wrench or socket did you use to... "get those nuts off?" Â*
    These are some... "pretty big nuts." Â*Probably..." the biggest nuts i've ever come across." Â*

serious question, just thought it sounded funny.

I'm thinking 34mm, but i can't find anything that size.
    </div>

close, they're 36mm. i couldn't find any sockets at pep boys in any size over 30 EXCEPT 36mm, so maybe i just got lucky. at worst case i would assume you can get it online somewhere. strongly recomend air tools for this, otherwise you're going to have to take the differential to a shop like i did and have them airgun the top bolts off
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I either got mine at Autozone or Sears. I cant remember, but they should have some locally. Or, since your in the midwest, find a Farm and Home type of hick store. They have HUGE wrenches to fix up their tractors haha. I loved the Farm and Home store back in Iowa, they had the coolest tools, pipes, fittings, ect
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    I either got mine at Autozone or Sears. I cant remember, but they should have some locally. Or, since your in the midwest, find a Farm and Home type of hick store. They have HUGE wrenches to fix up their tractors haha. I loved the Farm and Home store back in Iowa, they had the coolest tools, pipes, fittings, ect
    i got mine from sears, they were out of the individual 36mm 1/2 in socket, so i got the 26mm to 36mm socket set. figure i might need them somewhere down the line anyway..

Yo Matt stop the madness,love what u doing keep it up.
    Nobody built like u, u desighn ur self.

5spd swap
    full custom body conversion
    18x9 Works VS
    Big 16g evo3T next project

almost done with my lsd installation, just can't get the friggin pins out of the lsd insert. :evil: this is one of the hardest parts, and not to mention i had to cut about 3mm off the 5th gear pin off so i could get it out, it was too long to tap through should be done by the end of the day today.

Ah that sucks. I had a field day with my first trans' 5th gear pin. I found that an air hammer works wonders, or just have the correct tap and some precision hammering.

As for the LSD pin, the plate should just pop off with a screw driver. And I had a hard time with those pins untill I figured they pulled out and not hammered in lol! Should be able to grab them with some pliers or vice grips, give them a quick twist and they should pull right out.
    7g for life!

Ah that sucks. I had a field day with my first trans' 5th gear pin. I found that an air hammer works wonders, or just have the correct tap and some precision hammering.

As for the LSD pin, the plate should just pop off with a screw driver. And I had a hard time with those pins untill I figured they pulled out and not hammered in lol! Should be able to grab them with some pliers or vice grips, give them a quick twist and they should pull right out.
    yeah i knew they pulled out, just can't find my vice grips. as for the 5th gear pin, i used a drill bit to tap it out :-?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Ice
    almost done with my lsd installation, just can't get the friggin pins out of the lsd insert. :evil: this is one of the hardest parts, and not to mention i had to cut about 3mm off the 5th gear pin off so i could get it out, it was too long to tap through should be done by the end of the day today.
    yeah i was nervous about doing it, but i had to cut about 1/5 off the 5th gear pin also. idk how the hell you're supposed to get that pin out without cutting it....

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Once I used my air hammer, the 5th gear pin game out just fine. I <3 Air tools :)
    7g for life!

i actually lost my roll pin in the main case. :shock: when it came out it fell just right to where it went in one of the holes for the oil to the main case... and now i have no clue as to where it went. My reassembly went much rougher than the disassembly. only due to my own idiocracy.

I got the main case on with sealant and half bolted when i remembered i needed to look for the roll pin...
    so i took it back apart again.

then i couldn't find the roll pin so said "two tears in a bucket."
    I'm trying top get the case back on and it just won't friggin go. i pull it back up to see that the race ans shim are out of the housing. which i didn't have the problem the first time. so fixed that and got the case on with more sealant and 3/4 of the way bolted when i look and see the 5th gear oil feed sitting on the floor. By now i'm cussing myself. MUTH@ F()^(_)^&#036;

so case comes back off, get the feed in and race and shim on. and now my sealant wants to start acting up on me. coming out of the back of the tube instead of the front. ARRRGGG!!! so i'm like whatever, as long as it comes out, i'm getting this Biatch done today. slapped her back together, and got over to the local Ace store for a new roll pin. 3/16 x 1in. just as long as the original.

so what should have only too 20 min max, took a hell of a lot longer. Glad my dad gave me that impact wrench!

Thanks for putting the link to the other tutorial on the Gspeed sight

Dude that sounds exactly like my install lol! I took it apart, did the LCD install, put everything back, sealed the main case and DOH! forgot to make sure the reverse shaft was aligned. Took it apart, fixed teh reverse shaft, sealed the main case, forgot the oil feed haha. It sucked, but I eventually got it right and its been running every since!

Better to have a small headache now then a big expensive headache in the near future.

Did you ever find the roll pin? That coudl be dangerous if its still in there!
    7g for life!

Did you ever find the roll pin? That coudl be dangerous if its still in there!
    Nope! Short of taking all the gears out, i looked. even tried holding the case and shaking it to hear it. Yeah that didn't work so well. You'd have to be a pretty strong Mo Fo to shake a tranny,even with most of the case off and differential out.

I'm thinking when i get the tranny installed the pin will end up falling and staying at the bottom of the case........ i hope. that or the gear will eat it up. without any damage hopefully :pray:

Yah it should be pretty soft and the gears would just eat it. Just hope the remenants dont cause problems

Did you use the "penny in the 5th gear" trick to get the nuts off? It makes pennys look pretty cool :D
    7g for life!

Once I used my air hammer, the 5th gear pin game out just fine. I <3 Air tools :)
    it wasn't the actual movement of the pin that was a bitch, but the clearance. i used a drill bit and a hammer; couldn't hit the pin away from the gears, because i couldn't get to the other side because the gear was in the way. i couldn't hit it towards the gears because with 1/3 of the pin still in the shift rail/fork, the pin was already pushing on the teeth of the gears and wouldn't go anymore without risk of damage to the teeth.

after reading your guys' experiences, i'm having some serios dejavu. when i first put the main case back together, i tightened everything down, let the RTV become nice and rubbery, and then i dropped that BITCH of a pain down one of the oil holes right into the main case. took the main case back off, got the pin out, RTVed it back up, tightened all the bolts. forgot the god damn oil guide. god damnit. took the case back off, installed the guide, put a third helping of RTV on and tightened up the case. went to put the shift pin in, and it FELL THROUGH THE GOD DAMN HOLE AGAIN. in a fit of rage i refused to take the main case back off, so i took one of my telescoping magnets and shoved it down the hole, but it wouldn't fit at first because it was too big, so i had to dremmel it down small enough to fit. then i finally got the pin when the magnet clicked onto it.

and now i'm reading the same thing happened to you guys. awesome. tis the price you pay for pseudo-traction

1994 Galant GS 5spd

That's some funny shtuff Matt. i thought iu was the only idiot that had to go through all that.

No i didn't use the penny, i had an impact wrench my dad gave me. Worked like a friggin charm. Came right off!

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Eh, what penny trick?

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

If you dont have air tools its near impossible to get those two nuts off the top gears. I you stick a penny in between the two gears you can just use a breaker bar to remove the two nuts as the penny is brittle enough the gears just tear into it and it will prevent the gears from moving.

The penny looks pretty cool afterwards...
    7g for life!

If you dont have air tools its near impossible to get those two nuts off the top gears. I you stick a penny in between the two gears you can just use a breaker bar to remove the two nuts as the penny is brittle enough the gears just tear into it and it will prevent the gears from moving.

The penny looks pretty cool afterwards...
    yeah i used a penny the fist time i had to take 5th gears off. when i did it a second time to swap out for the taller 5th gear, i used a shop rag. the penny is more than weak enough to not cause any damage to the gears, but it just didn't sit right with me. with a thick shop rag they turn about 10% of a full rotation then stop.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Ahh come on, a penny is cheaper! I bet shop rags cost more then one penny! Muwah I am bored.
    7g for life!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12