The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Next Step

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    i've been slowly upgrading various parts on my G for a while now. i haven't had money in a year to do anything with, but i'm finally saving some. i'm pretty happy with the appearance, so now i'm focusing on performance. i know most of what i want to do, but not sure which steps to go in...curious to see some opinions from experience.

out of 3 basic steps, what would you go with first?

-brake upgrade (rotors/pads/calipers)
    -suspension (drop a couple inches)
    -exhaust/cams

i figure those will all be around the same price range...i already have an intake and a catback exhaust, so i would just be picking up some headers. are they worth it? would a header+cam combination make a noticeable difference? should i even bother with the 4g64, or look to swap? i've been contemplating the 4g63t + 5speed manual conversion, but i know that's a ways off, as it stands.

1.suspension
    2.brakes
    3.exhaust

Back from the dead!!!

I suggest you go with suspension. Couple of members and I just installed agx and teins. Once you do this your love for the G will double and you will be motivated to do the rest. Its a whole new different car with a new upgraded suspension.

Trust me, go for it!
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    yea definatelly the suspension first then whatever order after that if your going with just basic cross drilled rotors etc i wold do that next if your gong big brake conversion i would probroblly do that last because it can be a little expensive

Quote Originally Posted by shortdogg2k05
    1.suspension
    2.brakes
    3.exhaust
    x2. Once you get your suspension set up it really changes the whole car and trust me you will be more happier!!! Its definately worth it. So far ive done the first 2 and am waiting to do an exhaust but i definately think its the way to go.

Lo§'s 99 GTZ

Just to clarify something, you aren't anywhere close to needing cams at this point and they would do nothing for. You can save up for a turbo kit for the 4g64, but it wouldn't be anything like a manual 4g63 if thats what you were thinking. You're talking $1000's of dollars here for the turbo kit and much more labor for an engine/tranny swap.

Stick with the basics for now. Suspension would be the first thing I would do for sure. A good Tein coil-over setup is well worth the money and you can set the height where you please. Get a STB to go with it at the same time, they aren't too expensive.

Second, I would do the headers to finish out the exhaust since you have the intake and cat-back already.

Thirdly on your list would be brakes. Unless your rotors are warped already and pads are shot I don't see the necessity to upgrade these right away. I still have my stock rotors and pads on my 1G Eclipse that I race, you want to talk about "needing" something, that would be it. For normal driving there is no need to upgrade except the look of the cross drilled ones.

Other things you may want to consider is like JDM tails or something to set it off from the rest. Pretty reasonable on ebay or from others. Keep an eye out on ebay for the STB too and other lil items you may want. Performance wise, you're not going to get a ton of results unless you go turbo. Then you will look at upgrading much, much more engine parts.
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

Calipso
    #1. Suspension
    #2. Brakes
    #3. Exhaust

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    #1: Suspension
    Reason: Factory suspension sucks ass!!!

#2: Exhaust
    Reason: If your going to start heading in the performance direction then this will help.

#3: Brakes
    Reason: Your not fast enough yet to need a upgrade. Cross drilled rotors at this point should be
    more than enough.

Calipso
    Quote Originally Posted by SkylineG1
    #1: Suspension
    Reason: Factory suspension sucks ass!!!

#2: Exhaust
    Reason: If your going to start heading in the performance direction then this will help.

#3: Brakes
    Reason: Your not fast enough yet to need a upgrade. Cross drilled rotors at this point should be
    more than enough.
    Well, at least if he isn't going to update his rotors he should get a good quality set of pads. I always felt the stock pads were horrible.

And yea, factory suspension sucks badly. My Teins and AGX's ride like a cloud.

nice, thanks for the inputs. so that's a definately suspension next. i've been feelin that as well, especially since it's both visual and performance. any opinions as far as tein vs megan? coilovers are the way to go, yeah? since they are adjustable?

special appreciation for the in depth post from sinsere. i'm always on ebay waiting for something good. i have the black ice headlights (cleared w/silver reflector) as well as black tyc tails (i know, most people say rice, but it works with the wheels i have). i like the jdm tails, but not enough to drop another couple bills on them over what i have.

Calipso
    Quote Originally Posted by Koncept
    nice, thanks for the inputs. so that's a definately suspension next. i've been feelin that as well, especially since it's both visual and performance. any opinions as far as tein vs megan? coilovers are the way to go, yeah? since they are adjustable?

special appreciation for the in depth post from sinsere. i'm always on ebay waiting for something good. i have the black ice headlights (cleared w/silver reflector) as well as black tyc tails (i know, most people say rice, but it works with the wheels i have). i like the jdm tails, but not enough to drop another couple bills on them over what i have.
    Honestly koncept. Do you're own thing. People here hate the TYC's so bad, but when they first came out when fishboy was doing the group buy, everyone was buying them and rocking them. Including myself. I still think they look better than USDM and JDM (Except perhaps maybe 3rd gen JDM's). I myself have the chrome TYC's painted entirely black except the red lenses (Thanks IPAINTU) and I have got nothing but complements from people in my area.

I can't say much of anything about megan springs, as I haven't had any experience with them. But the basic teins are nice. Gives your car a decent drop. Nothing extremely aggressive.

If you are going to replace your struts (Which you will have to do with aftermarket springs) go for KYB GR2's. I have KYB AGX's, but I like to go all out when I buy parts sometimes. If I could go back in time, I'd buy the GR2's.

When you say black ice headlights, what do you mean? Do you mean these? eBay link

I'm very interested in what type of headlight you have if you actually have a different reflector in there.

Suspension, exhaust & brakes huh ???

well id like to lower my ride but our roads arent made for it up here . it would look nice but it would hit on every sidewalk and alomst at every overpass we got here lol
    i though of getting air suspension for the front so i could lower and rise it at will but its too heavy and expensive YET...

as my oem one it isnt so bad so far , so this brings me to my first question,

is there any kind of upgrade i can do that wont drop the car and would be better street wise i do race a lot and am hard on the brakes

as for the brakes well i just got some new brembo rotors but my car isnt so fast that i need the big brake system and rear disc YET

as for my exhaust. i already have basic header ( the obx one) and an apex-i muffler.

is there more to my exhaust than that ???

ok so i just got 2 k to spend on my car that il put entirely in my engine

the only mods i have so far are magnecor wires & iridium plugs , incomplete air intake (i have to finish but i cant decide on which is best) i think our 4g64 engines come with stock forged pistons so there good for approx 600 hp right???

it is ABSOLUTLY sure that i wanna supercharge my g and i was thinking of riipps supercharger so my big question is this , what should i buy first lol

the fuel management ?
    the bigger injecgtors?
    the bigger intake manny ?

i do want to do the swap, and im currently looking into the parts so this is for the engine

i need some advice from you guys so anything back is greatly appreciated

2002 blue G RIP07
    2003 grey G with the heart of an Evo 8
    1999 beige G . winter beater and well its beige

Qs - there is a Megan Cat-back system i have, i really like it. fits perfectly, sounds nice.

i was mistaken on the name of the headlights, since it's been a while since i got them. they are actually the Black Diamond headlights. i saw them on ebay once a while ago and snatched them up quick. i haven't found them since, anywhere.
    they have a silver reflector in place of the amber on the stock heads, that's the only difference. but it's awesome.
    look kind of like http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00-01-AC...047422927QQrdZ1these, but for a galant, of course. the ebay guy was autodynasty, and the header to the auction was 99-03 MIT GALANT 1PC JDM BLACK DIAMOND HEADLIGHTS 00 01. sorry i couldn't find more information than that :S

Calipso
    Quote Originally Posted by Koncept
    Qs - there is a Megan Cat-back system i have, i really like it. fits perfectly, sounds nice.
    i was mistaken on the name of the headlights, since it's been a while since i got them. they are actually the Black Diamond headlights. i saw them on ebay once a while ago and snatched them up quick. i haven't found them since, anywhere.
    they have a silver reflector in place of the amber on the stock heads, that's the only difference. but it's awesome.
    look kind of like http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00-01-AC...047422927QQrdZ1these, but for a galant, of course. the ebay guy was autodynasty, and the header to the auction was 99-03 MIT GALANT 1PC JDM BLACK DIAMOND HEADLIGHTS 00 01. sorry i couldn't find more information than that :S

Those are frigging nice looking man. The clear reflector ads a whole new element. I'm all for clearing amber lenses, but a clear lense is badass. :shock:

Qs. You will definately have to upgrade your fuel pump/injectors. Most likely if you buy the supercharger, it will be a kit and come with these components along with many other pieces you will need. I can't see many people/places selling just the blower and not the components. Its pretty much the whole enchilada or nothing. the only thing the supercharger kit wasn't coming with when I was looking was the headers.

On the coilovers, I can't say which is better or worse. All I can say is that I have the Tein basic dampers, the lowest priced ones you can get, and they are real nice. I had Eibachs and stock shocks and they are way better than those, and I got the height I wanted front and back. There is also Ground Controls which I've heard are decent as well to match up with the KYB's. Just a matter of how much you are willing to spend. I got mine for $800 online. One of the better prices I've seen.

No problem on the help. i really try to in areas I can. Happy shopping.
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...