The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: tranny and dipstick ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 32

tranny and dipstick ?

ok well i check my tranyy fluid it's nice and pink and smells good but the level will be high on 1 side of the stick and low on the other why is this i'm curious cause sometimes it shifts hard when going into fourth when in drive

are you checking the fluid the right way? car warmed up, ebrake up and the car in neutral??

how many miles do you have on the fluid?

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

yes i'm checking the fluid right way and i just bought the car when i test drove it was fine but the dealer ship serviced all fluids and now this happens it's weird cause only does it around 40-50 mph shifting in to fourth and the rpm's don't go up like it's slipping just a plane hard shift

ok with that said. was this a mitsu dealer? and if not, did they use mitsubishi diamond sp-iii fluid or any of its equivalents? new fluid at the right levels can still cause problems if it wasn't the correct fluid in the first place.

no it wasn't a mitsu dealer and i'm guessing they used dextron111 but the dipstick thing is confusing the hell out of me to

Quote Originally Posted by 00gtz
    no it wasn't a mitsu dealer and i'm guessing they used dextron111 but the dipstick thing is confusing the hell out of me to
    i'd go ahead and go back to the dealer and check. using the wrong fluid can cause you problems like that. i know that for a fact, i've been in the same boat.

k thanks anyone know this dipstick theory were it reads on 1 side of the stick and not the other unless you turn the stick around 180 degrees and reinsert

sorry that does not help me i'm taking the car back to the dealer on wensday

just out of curiosity ............. can someone here tell me where it says to check the transmission fluid while warm"and idling in neutral " with the ebrake on ????? I must have missed that class.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    are you checking the fluid the right way? car warmed up, ebrake up and the car in neutral??

how many miles do you have on the fluid?

[img]

in your owners manual and any shop book tells you that i never seen an automatic were you checked it in park
    [/quote]just out of curiosity ............. can someone here tell me where it says to check the transmission fluid while warm"and idling in neutral " with the ebrake on ????? I must have missed that class

could you please quote the owners manual , Since I rebuild transmissions for a living , I would love to know who is right you or me ?

[img]

Oh and I forgot , Chrysler products like 30 years ago were the only cars to do the neutral thing , since it is very dangerous to do it that way anymore . ALL other vehicles with dipsticks are usually done in PARK . for those of you who are not knowledgeable . The OWNERS MANUAL also tells you to change your oil like every 7500 miles , I believe nobody here does that !!!

[img]

well if you rebuild them can you tell me what might be wrong then maybe i understood the manual wrong

I don't know the scientific reason as to why the 2 sides read differently , but you are correct , they do !!! ALWAYS use the lower reading as the correct reading And always check the fluid at normal operating temperatures .

[img]

well say if i check it at normal temp with the dip in 1 way i will get a normal reading then if i turn it and try again i get a reading that is way to high wtf is there a certain way this is suppose to go in or something

Quote Originally Posted by 00gtz
    well say if i check it at normal temp with the dip in 1 way i will get a normal reading then if i turn it and try again i get a reading that is way to high wtf is there a certain way this is suppose to go in or something
    #1 always check trans fluid level 3-4x in a row
    #2 always use the lowest reading as your correct level

If you think this is bad try filling up a ford van , the fillertubes are like 4 feet long and you have to check the level a million times till you know its right

[img]

Quote Originally Posted by dzulboytoy
    Oh and I forgot , Chrysler products like 30 years ago were the only cars to do the neutral thing , since it is very dangerous to do it that way anymore . ALL other vehicles with dipsticks are usually done in PARK .
    technically, you CAN check the 40 and 50 series mitsu trannies in park, as the manual valve has only 3 positions (forward, nuetral, reverse). when you travel from reverse to park OR nuetral, it goes to the same position.
    BUT.. thats not how mitsu tells anyone to do it, as thier older trannies (20/30 series) HAD to be checked in nuetral lest you get a completely inaccurate reading as the torque converter recieved no pressure in park.

this isnt new information, though. For someone that "rebuilds trannies", that should be very common as mitus' been that way for nearly 20 years.
    most aisin warner trannies (i.e everything used by toyota) are like that, and hondas are to be checked with the engine off!
    every manufacturer is quite different. Just because GM checks used to check their trannies in park really doesnt mean all others do (note that GM no longer has dipsticks on most of thier trannies).

Whats a mitsu 20/30 series transmission ? Are you refering to the KM series????

[img]

Quote Originally Posted by dzulboytoy
    Whats a mitsu 20/30 series transmission ? Are you refering to the KM series????
    KM was the nomenclature in the early 80s. For example, the KM175 that was the first 4 speed fully electronic (and unreliable) tranny in the 85 to 87 galant 4 cylinder. The 6 cylinder version was much tougher.
    they were redesigned and renamed into the 20 and 30 series (I.E the F4A21, in the 89 and up galants). the last 2 digits represent the series and model of that tranny.
    so, F4A21 means Front drive, 4 speed, automatic, 20 series, model 1.

they still use the same basic designation today, with some minor changes.
    for example, the tranny in a 2000 galant with a 4 cylinder would be a F4A41. the 6 cylinder would be F4A51. All wheel drive models start with a W.

it gets deeper than that, but im keeping it simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast