The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Alarming oil consumption...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 27 of 27
    Since I posted in this thread almost a year ago... I've had some other stuff happen. The car started leaking oil (about a drop a day) somewhere on the rear of the engine. I haven't bothered to fix it. I thought I'd sell, started seriously looking for a new car (Intrigue, Aurora, Diamante, Maxima, etc.), but gave up after, um, 9 months of not finding anything. I guess I'll just keep the G and hope the tranny doesn't fail.

Anyway, I've also recently had soem problems with the O-Rings around the tops of the spark plug wells leaking. This in turn soaked into the spark plug boots and caused them not to fit into the holes anymore. I'm kinda broke right now, so it hasn't been fixed. I got the o-rings, but haven't gotten the wires or perimeter head gasket yet. Anyone else have this problem?

BTW, my oil consumption hasn't changed in a year and 20,000 miles. Still 1 quart every gas tank. 90% sure it's the piston rings, which are too big a job to tackle during school/work. Damn it'd be nice to drop the 4G and get a V6 TT w/ AWD powertrain. Pipe dream...

<span style="color:#000000">1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES Premium</span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MBowen574)</div><div class='quotemain'>Since I posted in this thread almost a year ago... I've had some other stuff happen. The car started leaking oil (about a drop a day) somewhere on the rear of the engine. I haven't bothered to fix it. I thought I'd sell, started seriously looking for a new car (Intrigue, Aurora, Diamante, Maxima, etc.), but gave up after, um, 9 months of not finding anything. I guess I'll just keep the G and hope the tranny doesn't fail.

Anyway, I've also recently had soem problems with the O-Rings around the tops of the spark plug wells leaking. This in turn soaked into the spark plug boots and caused them not to fit into the holes anymore. I'm kinda broke right now, so it hasn't been fixed. I got the o-rings, but haven't gotten the wires or perimeter head gasket yet. Anyone else have this problem?

BTW, my oil consumption hasn't changed in a year and 20,000 miles. Still 1 quart every gas tank. 90% sure it's the piston rings, which are too big a job to tackle during school/work. Damn it'd be nice to drop the 4G and get a V6 TT w/ AWD powertrain. Pipe dream... Â*:(</div>
    replacing the valve cover gaskets is easy.
    spark plug o ring leaks are common on most any make and model.
    it happens.
    there isn't any bolts in the center of the valve cover on your sohc so the o rings aren't fastened as tightly as the rest otf it.

if you fix all of the oil leaks,
    your oil loss will be reduced for sure.
    yoru engine might be using less oil than you anticipated.

oil pan gaskts are easy.
    valve cover gaskets are easy.
    just clean off the wires with soem brake parts cleaner and keep using them until you have money to replace them.

ever do a compression check?
    only takes abbout 15 minutes.
    you can rent the tool at any parts store(most places for free(you coudl even do it in the parking lot of the shop).
    that will give you an indicator if your oil olos is from ringwear, or if its just valve seals.
    of course oil cna be consumed other places as well(rod and main bearings,

and this goes for everybody:
    if you have oil leaks.... any at all,
    then you can't jump to the conclusion that your oil loss is based on consumption. it is normal for an engine to use oil over a period of time.
    every little bit leaking out just adds to that amount you "think" you are burning.

also, with no leaks in the system, the oil won't get as easily contaminated.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MBowen574)</div><div class='quotemain'>Since I posted in this thread almost a year ago... I've had some other stuff happen. The car started leaking oil (about a drop a day) somewhere on the rear of the engine. I haven't bothered to fix it. I thought I'd sell, started seriously looking for a new car (Intrigue, Aurora, Diamante, Maxima, etc.), but gave up after, um, 9 months of not finding anything. I guess I'll just keep the G and hope the tranny doesn't fail.

BTW, my oil consumption hasn't changed in a year and 20,000 miles. Still 1 quart every gas tank. 90% sure it's the piston rings, which are too big a job to tackle during school/work. Damn it'd be nice to drop the 4G and get a V6 TT w/ AWD powertrain. Pipe dream... Â*:(</div>
    it happens.
    there isn't any bolts in the center of the valve cover on your sohc so the o rings aren't fastened as tightly as the rest otf it.

oil pan gaskts are easy.
    just clean off the wires with soem brake parts cleaner and keep using them until you have money to replace them.

you can rent the tool at any parts store(most places for free(you coudl even do it in the parking lot of the shop).
    that will give you an indicator if your oil olos is from ringwear, or if its just valve seals.

then you can't jump to the conclusion that your oil loss is based on consumption. it is normal for an engine to use oil over a period of time.
    every little bit leaking out just adds to that amount you "think" you are burning.

also, with no leaks in the system, the oil won't get as easily contaminated.</div>

I realize oil use/oil leaks are very common, but large clouds of black smoke at half to full throttle are not, and I believe indicative of bad piston rings. Ah well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MBowen574)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCstunr)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MBowen574)</div><div class='quotemain'>Since I posted in this thread almost a year ago... I've had some other stuff happen. The car started leaking oil (about a drop a day) somewhere on the rear of the engine. I haven't bothered to fix it. I thought I'd sell, started seriously looking for a new car (Intrigue, Aurora, Diamante, Maxima, etc.), but gave up after, um, 9 months of not finding anything. I guess I'll just keep the G and hope the tranny doesn't fail.

it happens.

oil pan gaskts are easy.

also, with no leaks in the system, the oil won't get as easily contaminated.</div>

I realize oil use/oil leaks are very common, but large clouds of black smoke at half to full throttle are not, and I believe indicative of bad piston rings. Ah well.</div>

probably.
    but everything is nothign more than a guess until you check compression.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

here you go buddy here are all the gaskets you will need, plug o-rings and such use it wisely

and its cheap toooooo.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-98-MITSU...026018883QQrdZ1
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    JDM 5 SPEED 4G64
    TO GET TO A MAN'S HEART....IS THROUGH 4G64 egh and may be through 4B11T

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    <snip>
    I realize oil use/oil leaks are very common, but large clouds of black smoke at half to full throttle are not, and I believe indicative of bad piston rings. Ah well.
    probably.
    but everything is nothign more than a guess until you check compression.
    Are you sure it's black smoke? Black smoke is a sure sign of a car that's running rich. Blue smoke is the indication of bad rings/valve seats /etc.

1996 Galant S

Quote Originally Posted by Galant Kid
    Are you sure it's black smoke? Black smoke is a sure sign of a car that's running rich. Blue smoke is the indication of bad rings/valve seats /etc.
    Yes, it's black. Have you even seen an older car that, when it's accelerating hard, a large black cloud puffing out of the tail pipe? Blue oil is oil that's been combusted (i.e. burning oil due to bad valve seals letting a LITTLE bit into combustion). This is a relatively massive amount that's left behind in the chamber as the piston downstrokes and it's exhausted thru the exh. valves with the burnt gas. add enough of it together, and you're looking at a big black cloud of unburned oil and oil consumption in the quart-per-gas tank (300 miles, give or take) range.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12