The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: quick LED light install Q's...

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

quick LED light install Q's...

hey guys, just picked up 2 10" LED tubes for under the driver and passanger side dash. I know the basics of wiring it to the battery but i'm a little confused with some parts. I know the red wires go to a toggle switch and the black goes to a ground. I saw something about an in-line fuse. is this necessary? if so, i have no idea what kind of fuse to get and how/where to solder it in. also, what gauge wire should I use to go from toggle switch to the battery. sorry I'm a n00b with electronics and wiring. I tried searching but didnt find much. Thanks

Re: quick LED light install Q's...

Quote Originally Posted by slayer544
    I saw something about an in-line fuse. is this necessary? if so, i have no idea what kind of fuse to get and how/where to solder it in.
    its not necessary. but if there is a power surge, or a short, you can either ruin your led lights or cause an small electrical fire, or if you're really lucky, you'll get both

but yea, the fuse goes inbetween you switch and your powrer supply. you should have the fuse as close to the power supply as you can.

for wire size, if its just the two lights, i say just get a wire that is slightly bigger than the wire that is on there now.

as for size of fuse, you have to figure out the power draw of your lights. shouldn't be too much. you'll know if you have too small of a fuse if it keeps blowing. but with that said, you shouldn't exceed the wire's amperage rating or the fuse would be useless.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

cool. thanks man. I'm probably gonna get a 5amp glass fuse. is that too much for 2 10" LED tubes? im most likely gonna get more anyway but not yet.