The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Is adding IHE worth it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 42

Is adding IHE worth it?

From what I have read here it seems like adding IHE (intake, header, exhaust) only gives like 1/2 second improvement is 0-60 and 1/4 times. For the cost of the mods that doesn't seem like much. My question is does having the above mods make the car seem that much faster or more responsive? Or is the improvement better than 1/2 second? My car is a V6.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    those that can...do. And those that cant only think bout it. in other words, only if its worth it. Yes you will gain but not much

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Check the Club3G Timeslips Database? to get some comparisions of cars with different mods.

honestly, unless you are gonna be driving the G for the rest of your life, being able to improve the 1/4 to 15ish seconds is not all that great compared to todays standards. but the final decision is still up to you.

as i realized two years ago, in the end, its still a four door FWD grocery getter. unless you can change that, ya know?

it takes alot to actually make the G "fast" by today's standards. at least it still looks stylish.

cliffs: dont I/H/E if thats all you're gonna do for the car peformance-wise. i dont think its worth it.

Seriously, unless you plan on adding a RIPP Mods SDS or Nitrous, just IHE is not really worth it. I have RIPP headers on my V6 along with a Dynomax cat-back and an AEM CAI. In the mid and upper RPM range, I can feel a difference... the car pulls alot harder. But it's not enough to say that it's worth it. I had planned on going stage one on the RIPP SDS with a tranny cooler and methanol injection, but it doesn't look like that will happen since I'm saving up to buy my own place... and once I have a monthly mortgage payment, I won't have extra money to spend on my car. I wish I knew back in 2000 what I know now. All the money I spent on JDM parts and other cosmetics, I would have put towards the SDS. Or if I had the money now, I'd look towards a turbo and engine buildup like Tearstone has.

hmmm...after my upgrades i ran much faster. look at my sig, thats so far my best 1/4
    [email protected] <- '01 ES V6 (detuned for daily commutes)

Black '94 Audi S4 soon RS2'd running 28 psi
    Chipset [X]|Injectors[X]|Turbo[X]|RS2 Manifold[X]|Bosch 3-BAR MAP[X]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2000GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>honestly, unless you are gonna be driving the G for the rest of your life, being able to improve the 1/4 to 15ish seconds is not all that great compared to todays standards. but the final decision is still up to you. Â*

as i realized two years ago, in the end, its still a four door FWD grocery getter. unless you can change that, ya know? Â*:) Â*

it takes alot to actually make the G "fast" by today's standards. at least it still looks stylish.

cliffs: dont I/H/E if thats all you're gonna do for the car peformance-wise. i dont think its worth it.</div>

15's is still not bad for a daily driver... most cars bought nowadays are still with slow 4 bangers... to each his/her own i guess

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2000GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>as i realized two years ago, in the end, its still a four door FWD grocery getter. unless you can change that, ya know? Â*:)
    </div>

Does anyone else feel the same way? :? Is our G really just a "grocery getter"?

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FRCFD6)</div><div class='quotemain'>hmmm...after my upgrades i ran much faster. look at my sig, thats so far my best 1/4</div>

Your time is so far out of the norm that it could be considered an outlier. What's elevation around the track you ran at?

it was at great lakes dragway, wisconsin. its at 715 ft

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhema83
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000GTZ
    as i realized two years ago, in the end, its still a four door FWD grocery getter. unless you can change that, ya know?
    Does anyone else feel the same way? :? Is our G really just a "grocery getter"?
    well to be fair. the 8g designs is just tight. but if we really want to make it faster, i'd say engine swap would be the answer. if the mods like headers and exhaust and stuff ain't gon do much then save up for an evo or a 4g63 engine. but gs would still be a luxury sedan not a true race car.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by milo111000
    but gs would still be a luxury sedan not a true race car.
    nope
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

LMFAO

L-M-F-A-O

LUXURY SEDAN?

are you kidding?

whats luxurious about any U.S. mitsu ?
    diamante is a full size "luxurious sedan" but its still not a luxury car

the galant by no means at all even in the loosest interperatation is a luxury sedan.
    are camries luxury sedans? how about accords? or the ford taurus LOL
    try well appointed ECONOMY or sport sedan (depending on your trim level)

you can try to make it look luxurious by throwing flashy chrome and leather on it. but it just makes it look cheap IMO.

the 8g looks nice and all. i admire them. i really do. they handle so very well. a very tasteful design.

:? but luxury?
    My balls

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You'd be surprised. In many crowded developed Asian economies, the Galant (and Accord, Camry, Cefiro) are considered "luxury cars". In fact, many of them come with leather, sunroof, ABS and other options that are usually available in the "luxury" trims in US, like the LS or GTZ.

The reason is very simple. The governments there tax cars very heavily to control the number of cars on the congested roads. Also, pollution can be a problem, so large capacity engines are penalized. For example, the most common car in Singapore is the Thai-made Toyota Corolla Altis 1.6, which costs about 40k USD new with economy trim. Gas is more than 3 USD a gallon two years ago.

For 60k USD, you can buy a Galant 2.0 4-banger there. Here in America, you can buy an Evo!

That said, the Galant was never designed to be a "fast" car. Mitsu built the Lancer Evo and 3000GT for a purpose.

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    AMEN!!! :twisted: true true that it's not too luxurious compared to benz, and the bms but what i'm tryin to say is that the galants are tagged as luxury galant. elegance or no elegance to our taste, it's still called a luxury sedan like the camrys and accords..

Quote Originally Posted by milo111000
    AMEN!!! :twisted: true true that it's not too luxurious compared to benz, and the bms but what i'm tryin to say is that the galants are tagged as luxury galant. elegance or no elegance to our taste, it's still called a luxury sedan like the camrys and accords..
    Yeah, they are "tagged" as luxury, and many come with leather and stuff. But I think they are not worth the money. Seriously, who on earth in his right mind will spend 60 grands on a Galant or Camry, and then another 10 to make it "faster"? I would either get a cheap used Corolla to fetch groceries, and get my adrenalin fix from a superbike, or get a *real* fast car like a JDM Evo MR, WRX STi Spec-V or Integra Type-R.

If you have a V6.

Get Intake (AEM, Injen...) Headers (CMF, RIPP...) and a Nitrous Kit (NX, Venom...). Even a 50 shot will get you going pretty fast. On a V6 with a 50 shot you should be around 275hp at the crank, or more if it is tuned.

If you have the money get a 5 speed, if not get a torque convertor. Either will drop your quarter mile times by about 1/2 to 1 second more.

There is no way anyone can say that a car with almost 300 hp is just a grocery getter.

Even a V6 with 200 hp isnt slow compared to other cars its price range/year.

This is just my opinion of how to do things. This is the route i decided to go. NO2 is the best power per dollar hands down. You just need a kit and some colder plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrs2
    There is no way anyone can say that a car with almost 300 hp is just a grocery getter.
    i'll have to disagree. yes, after all those mods you listed (which btw is more than just IHE) the galant will be fast. but its still a grocery getter because of what is was stock- a FWD family sedan. today's family sedans are getting wilder- AWD 300hp lexuses. and even those, to a certain extent, are still considered grocery getters compared to sports cars.

point in case: take a civic for example. doesnt matter how many mods you have on it, turbo'd, engine swapped, doesnt matter if it runs 10s or 11s on street tires... its still a civic.

this then takes the debate toward the topic of "do i spend money to make a slower car faster or just buy a faster car to begin with". the cycle will never end as long as cars keep getting more and more efficient in making power and it's cheaper to buy a faster/more powerful car.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i'll have to disagree. yes, after all those mods you listed (which btw is more than just IHE) the galant will be fast. but its still a grocery getter because of what is was stock- a FWD family sedan. today's family sedans are getting wilder- AWD 300hp lexuses. and even those, to a certain extent, are still considered grocery getters compared to sports cars.

point in case: take a civic for example. doesnt matter how many mods you have on it, turbo'd, engine swapped, doesnt matter if it runs 10s or 11s on street tires... its still a civic.

this then takes the debate toward the topic of "do i spend money to make a slower car faster or just buy a faster car to begin with". the cycle will never end as long as cars keep getting more and more efficient in making power and it's cheaper to buy a faster/more powerful car.
    but a 300hp galant is still a fast car period. who cares if it's a 4 door family sedan. with good suspension and a good power package you can be wasting some "sports" cars.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation

but a 300hp galant is still a fast car period. who cares if it's a 4 door family sedan. with good suspension and a good power package you can be wasting some "sports" cars.
    true. but i guess the people who think completely modded out civics are still just civics would. and i guess i am one of them.

edit: btw, i'd take a galant vr4 anyday. im just saying the USDM galants are not something i'd work on personally because of the ceiling factors such as traction due to FWD. but yes that can be changed too. so.. it just goes on and on. you can take any car and completely mod it.

2nd edit: i thought of another example. take an ugly fat girl. give her lipo and plastic surgery. would you hit it? some people would. some people would not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast