The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Popping sound & steering play

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    Experienced TGC Member

Popping sound & steering play

All boots look good (afaik see no tears or cracks), though I'm gettnig this unbelievable loud popping sound everytime I travel over bumps. It becomes really bad when I'm riding on really uneven road. Also at speed I noticed some definate play in the steering. Turning the wheel to the left takes less energy than turning to the right... :?

Totally confused as to what it could be. Any suggestions that involve both steering play and popping noises?

Experienced TGC Member
    Un-fucking-believable. I ended up ripping the inner axle (cv joint) out of the boot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'>Un-fucking-believable. Â*I ended up ripping the inner axle (cv joint) out of the boot.</div>
    so throw the 5 speed in now son

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCSTUNR)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'>Un-fucking-believable. Â*I ended up ripping the inner axle (cv joint) out of the boot.</div>
    so throw the 5 speed in now son</div>

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCSTUNR)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'>Un-fucking-believable. Â*I ended up ripping the inner axle (cv joint) out of the boot.</div>
    so throw the 5 speed in now son</div>

HAHAHAHA fucking gear heads. You have no idea how seriously I'm considering this. I've been shopping for trannys for the last hour (found one for $600 shipped).

haha break a boot, and buy a tranny.

Hows it look? Can I just replace the boot? If I have to replace the whole axle I think I'm just going to go 5spd.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    looks like you only need to replace the axle. try to pry off the remaining axle on the trans.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    well if you're considering 5spd as an option, then i'm gonna have to tell you that YOU HAVE NO ALTERNATIVES SWAP TRANNIES NOW
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

how the fuck did u do that.. did u buy those cheap eBay coilovers? :x
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lonestar22)</div><div class='quotemain'>how the fuck did u do that.. did u buy those cheap eBay coilovers? Â*:x</div>

lol I didn't follow my own suspension removal tutorial. I forgot to prop the brake up and the axle slid out...taking the boot with it.

so, instead of buying an 80 dollar axle, youre going to replace the entire transmission (which will still require at least one new axle)?

thats... Odd.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>so, instead of buying an 80 dollar axle, youre going to replace the entire transmission (which will still require at least one new axle)?

thats... Odd.</div>

Naw, that's justification! Hell, when it comes time for me to do the swap, my justification (for the wife) will be "cause I can get better gas mileage"

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingpinoy
    Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    so, instead of buying an 80 dollar axle, youre going to replace the entire transmission (which will still require at least one new axle)?

thats... Odd.
    Naw, that's justification! Hell, when it comes time for me to do the swap, my justification (for the wife) will be "cause I can get better gas mileage"
    Hahah precisely.

Well I found the actual cause of the problem. Turns out the strut mount had gone bad. While it should spin freely, it should have zero lateral play. Though mine had zero lateral resistance (so it would go up and down if you even looked at it funny).

This is by far the cheapest part Mitsubishi makes.

$30 for 1 ball-bearing strut mount (im almost positive it uses BB) vs. $110 for a rubber boot.