The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Paint Job

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 40 of 40
    Quote Originally Posted by ipaintu
    GTX are you the guy in Jacksonville that wanted me to come paint something? I was very busy that weekend and then went on vacation that monday.. Was it you tho?
    Wait, No... I asked you once about my bumper though, and I'm on Hilton Head, SC not in Jacksonville.
    But if sh.t keeps happening to my car, I'll sure visit you in the future

Hey ipaintu,

Can you give me any reccomendations of any shops that you know in Los Angeles/Cali area, that at least have a good rep. for their jobs. Im looking to get my car painted in a month or so, but have no idea how to choose a shop (aside from finding out which ones are used by insurance companys to paint back to oem).

Any help would be appreciated.
    Just living another day in the universe !

lets sum this up like most things in the after market world YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!!!!!!!

ipaintu
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantking07)</div><div class='quotemain'>lets sum this up like most things in the after market world YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!!!!!!!</div>

Not true... I have seen some shitty jobs for alot of cash, then we get some shitty truck or car and they only pay like 225.00 and it comes out better than some base/clear 1200.00 cars..

So its not all true in the you get what you pay for. Its more like

You get as good as a shop can give...... If your nice about it no matter how much you pay..

hey my local macco wont do candy type paints...only what they have avilable, cuz i wanted flakes they said they only run what they go in thier lines so no flakes or custome jobs??? is dat all or just certian maccos?
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

ipaintu
    its mainly cause there painters dont want to paint it or dont know how...

To do a kandy you have to know wtf your doing or youll come out looking like shit..+ House of kolor kandy kit with clear coats and reducers are like 500.00..

if i drove down to FL in the summer from DE, would u be able to do something like dis??? whats an estimated time u need my car?
    13 GTR

ipaintu
    yes no issues. If you brought the car down and had no major bodywork or rust replacement then 3 to 5 days maybe even sooner. If its just a reclear then thats maybe a 2 to 3 day job... Really if the car is really clean then youll be out fast...

ya the car is paint is awsome...nice shine wax it monthly, i wanted a 2 tone flake job. but ill pm u when the time comes closer
    13 GTR

ipaintu
    if time is right could be as fast as 2 to 3 days ... Just keep in touch..

yo what part of DE are you from just wondering because i used to live there and its not that big lol

A friend of mine took his Bronco to macco to get it painted, paid for their most expenisve package and it looks descent, no runs, chips or anything, just not that high of a gloss. When I was in my accident the body shop I took my car to had my car done in 6 days and they had to disassemble, order parts, bend the front frame section, reinstall everything, paint it and have the car inspected. They did an awesome job I took it to a mitsubishi dealer and the mechanics couldnt even tell it was in an accident. If i was to pay for a complete paint job through them it would cost me around $2100 for one color. It all depends on the place you can pay $2000 and get a shitty job done or pay $200 and get a great job done. look at what the cars have done look like if they look like crap done have them paint your car. Usualy you get what you pay for. Always get it in writing that if its not to your expectations they will repaint it at no charge till it does reach your expectations. Personaly its not worth while for me to pay someone to do their job and get mediocer (sp) quality , if I pay for something i want something thats going to look perfect. I have friends that are body people and have had to repaint Macco car's Before (not dissing Maco just posting an opinion) a normal body shop is going to put more than 3 layers of paint, my last car when I had it painted it had 8 coats of color and 4 of clear but i paid for a high quality job. just make shure that if you get a paint job done, that the person is good at their job and take pride in there work, if not then you might get a good looking job, it just tends to be that you wont. Sorry for rambling on, and on but it kind of pisses me off when people get crapy quality for something they pay for.

ipaintu
    Well Guy alot of what you said it true... But a few things.

You said a 3 coat paint job isnt gonna last.. See thats where your wrong.
    A paint job isnt messured really in coats. Its messured with mills. eash coat of paint is about 1 mill thick so on that the OEM book says
    2 mills of base color and 3 mills of clear coat.

Now as far as you haven 8 coats put on.. Less talk about this.

If I turn my gun fliud down to a smaller amount of fluid"AKA Paint" hitting the painted surface then yes I could use 8 coats. so to speak.
    Now if I turn My fluid tip to WIDE ASS OPEN then I can one coat a car and ship it. Now is it gonna last as long as the 3 coat ones.. why wouldnt it It has the same amount of paint on car just all at once.
    So to say you had 8 coats.. Well since you was honest about Maaco let me return the favor.

You tell the person what they want to hear. Thats what you got.. You wanted to hear 8 coats so they told you this, I doubt you was sitting there watching your paint being applied.. Even if you did, I doubt you knew what you was looking at.... Then on top of that to think more paint on a car is better someone again LIED!.. You need to check into Solvent Pop or Cracking.. This is cause by too much paint applied to a surface and not drying the right way..
    Paint is put on 1 coat. You need to make sure it has a strong base so the 2nd coat doesnt run or the vapors has released so when the 2nd coat is applied it wont be too "undry"
    When the job is done if the coats wasnt applied right then the top coat will dry sooner cause of the "shell" effect. Which means the top coat is getting direct air or heat to it and the lower layers arent.. Which in return you get a pop... Thats the vapors popping to the top to release..

Now I dont know how long you have been painting or been around it. I am I-Car Gold ,ASE, BASF,Dupont,And PPG Schooled.. hell tho I maybe wrong. I mean all these yrs of painting, Hell I may not know as much as you.... I mean since you have had 3 or four cars painted.

Also Your n Dever CO.. Well let me tell you something about the Maaco there. That shop is the TOP Selling shop of the Maaco chains. They sell over 185k a MONTH in paint jobs. He is the Most respected shop in all 1200 shops.. So I dont know guy maybe Im wrong and your right.. Who knows...

But one thing for sure.
    If you got a Kandy paint job you got 8 coats. If you got a base clear.
    You got air blew up your ass and lied too...

Im not coming down on you tho.. Maybe someone told you what you wanted to hear....

the owner of this truck also says the truck dont shine and was trying to talk down his price on pickup.

Some people just dont have a clue.

For the record I did watch my old car get painted with 8 coats, and it won best paint for the 3 shows i entered it in. We wetsanded it alot to get a perfect jib and the friend of mine that painted it wanted that many layer to keep the paint thick enough because we wetsanded it so much. I wasnt dissing Macco I was just stating an opinion. I stoped by the Macco in my area the guy told me that they dont do extremly high quality jobs. They do good quality here but he said and I will quote him "We dont do show quality paint jobs, we do a basic paint jobs for people at a minamal price." I know all painters are different but if he said it to me, a possible customer, I dont know if I would go there (My opinion not encouraging anyone else to follow) he looked at my car saw the quality of how it was painted and he said they normaly wont reach that quality. Im not dissing Macco just stating my opinion and going off what ive been told by other body people so dont get pissed at me. im just going off of the info that I know and several other peoples perfesional opinion.

ipaintu
    Im not pissed at no one guy.. but I will state again If your guy told you he put 8 coats of paint then 8 coats of clear he over did your paint job and thats why you had to wetsand and buff. I dont have to buff that pic of the truuck above was stright out of booth base clear. I won many shows and painting a custom kandy as I wait for a coat to dry and come typed this. I am in the booth now per say.
    All i know is you dont put that many coats of EACH paints on. maybe a COMBINED 8 coats is right. 3 paints and the rest clear.. Then yes thats possible. I use a good paint tho and dont need to do many things other than watch how my coat is laying. Todays High Solid clearcoats are made for heavy spraying on the first coat. not like back in the day when you had to dust coat the car. Now you can do 2 to 3 coats of wet clear and be done . ready to go to show...

Im not dissing anyone you speak to. but do member If you want to hear I will put 8 coats and you can watch then what i will do is turn my Fluid down and let you see 8 when in real I only did 5...

Thats all...

Oh since you have a show winning car post up sir. less see some please..

Thanks,..
    A NOT mad painter...

It was my old car. We wetsanded it so much because the car was 31 years old when it was painted and with such large single surfaces, he wanted so many layers so he could completly eliminate all orange peel (thats what he called not sure if thats what its called, he wanted a miror quality finish) he said he overdid it a little but he was spraying coats slightly lighter than normal because his compresor was screwing up. He occasionaly does it this way but only for high price paint jobs because he found that he can get a better quality with it. Its just the way he paints his technique. Also I double checked there was 6 coats of color and 2 of clear I had the numbers mixed up from somewere but it was almost 4 years ago and it seemed like the wetsanding was never going to end.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    my maaco job is holding up great, the blue is still deep and it looks sweet as ever in non direct sun. i still havn't waxed it yet, i think i will start now.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

yo what part of DE are you from just wondering because i used to live there and its not that big lol

Bear...But all over the place wilmington,New castle
    13 GTR

ipaintu
    here is a kandy teal without wetsand or a buff. This is a show winner.

8k in rims 4 k in guts and 3 k in paints.

tbrufio6
    This may be a dumb question but, I am getting my car painted again very shortly, it's by a guy my dad used. What do I need to ask the guy in order to get the best deal and not get screwed over. Also, do I need to give him the paint code or something? Its the Kaplana black or whatever it is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12