The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: TUTORIAL: How To Wire JDM Headlights/Install Tip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 25
    Proto

TUTORIAL: How To Wire JDM Headlights/Install Tip

**DISCLAIMER** You do this at your own risk! Neither TGC or myself is responsible for you screwing something up or frying your electrical system.

Tools/Supplies Needed:
    * Wire Cutters
    * Wire Strippers
    * Electrical Tape
    * JDM Wiring Harness
    * USDM Wiring Harness with Connector

USDM Wiring Removal/Beginning Procedure:
    1. Locate your USDM headlight wiring under the hood
    2. Find the connector and unplug it from the car harness
    3. Using your wire cutters cut the red/pink, blue, and black wires so you have enough to play with (about 2-3" from the connector).
    4. Take the USDM wiring with connector out of the car.
    5. Strip about 1" of insulation off the 3 wires
    6. Get your JDM wiring and strip about 1" off the 5 wires

JDM LowBeam/Highbeam Wiring Procedure:
    Outter Light
    LOWBEAM: Red wire with white stripe to red wire on connector.
    HIGHBEAM: ALL red wire to blue wire on connector.
    GROUND: Red wire with blue stripe to black wire on connector.

Inner Light
    HIGHBEAM: ALL red wire to blue wire on connector.
    GROUND: Red wire with blue stripe to black wire on connector.

JDM Wiring Harness:

USDM Wiring Harness/Connector:

FAQ:

UPDATE:
    Q: How do I achieve turn signals and parking lamps in the corners?
    Any 99-03 Galant, 94-99 Celica, 98-02 Corolla Connector and Pigtail. I personally used a 96 Celica connector and pigtail, fit perfect into the JDM corner.

City Lights and Parking Lamp: Tie the city light wire and your parking lamp wire together, crimp it using a splice, insert the chassis parking lamp wire into the other end, crimp it.
    Turn Signal: Crimp the one from the connector and chassis together using a splice.
    Ground for Connector: Use the chassis turn signal ground
    Ground for Parking Lamp/City Light: Use the chassis parking lamp ground.

Q: Can I use my USDM turn signal in the corner lamps?
    A: Yes you can, same connector and bulb size (1156).

Q: Will I have parking lamps anymore?
    A: Yes view above post.

Q: What are 'city lights'?
    A: The 'city lights' use the wiring for your USDM corner lamp. Black is ground, green is positive. The bulb sits inside the outter lamp part of the housing.

INSTALL TIP:
    This will answer your question about cutting/grinding the USDM bumper support. All I did was use a 20oz hammer and hammered mine back, took all of 5 mins to do for both sides.
    Last edited by Proto; 05-25-2009 at 04:25 PM

Experienced TGC Member
    Ok is there any way to wire the turn signals on the usdm headlights? Don't feel like getting jdm ones.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepervr-4
    Ok is there any way to wire the turn signals on the usdm headlights? Don't feel like getting jdm ones.

bulbs are too small and not bright enough on usdm. i actually got jdm heads but yet to install them. (hmmm maybe proto can halp one day, i don't know maybe sunday?) the jdms have a bigger diffrent bulb harness.
    if you wanted too you could drill tin the housings for a bigger bulb?

don't your stock ones have rust and all that other crap all over them, i know you can claen them up, but won't light output suck?

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kolio
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepervr-4

bulbs are too small and not bright enough on usdm. i actually got jdm heads but yet to install them. (hmmm maybe proto can halp one day, i don't know maybe sunday?) the jdms have a bigger diffrent bulb harness.
    if you wanted too you could drill tin the housings for a bigger bulb?

don't your stock ones have rust and all that other crap all over them, i know you can claen them up, but won't light output suck?
    Never said it was for the stock heads I have on now. I have a extra set of heads. I think I may have to drill it out or something.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

drill it out and ad the new bulb harness and your good to go.

only prob with the stock bulbs is that they are tooo weak

You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Proto
    I've done it before. The USDM corner has a lower voltage like LED bulbs so you have to buy an Electric Flasher Can in order to achieve it so the turn signal blinks properly.

i got my jdm light in last week, decided to try to install them today. so i got to start takingm y front apart and i dident know where to start. its like every parts i need to take off i need to take a different part off first and they all ovwer lap each other. after braking my grill, cutting a scree that goes into the headlight and upper brace with the angle grinder, brakeing 4 tabs off my bumper cover and braking the bottom tabs off my old headlight everytnig is off. now i just gotta figure how to get everything on without braking it all. when i go to the junkyard this week ill get a new grill and upper brace.

is there any how to around here on assembly/dissasembly?
    parting out my 7g project. 1g turbo head with gs cam gears, talon tsi front and rear brakes/5lug conversion. xtc 2g fwd clutch and pressure plate. complete 7g 5spped swap. jdm e54a headlights stock 97 tails, interior trim pieces. [email protected]
    http://www.thegalantcenter.net/forum...211#post477211

Proto, wanted to add this picture of the wire colors on my 94. Two of them are different than you described.

When I cut the USDM harness, the wires were as follows:
    1. The red wire is the high beam
    2. The black wire is the low beam
    3. The red wire with blue trim is the ground.
    Mitsubish must've changed the color code in later years.

those two wires are aftermarket....Protos 7g was a 94

Mine is also a 94. The picture is the wires from my original USDM harness.

Hey Pogi how did you bend the bumper support? Did you guys also use a hammer and just bend it? And did you use just a hammer for did you also use a torch? I tried just a hammer and i could barley get the thing to budge the top of it started going concave but the sides where the other piece is welded onto wont move...Probably going to just go buy a grinder and cut the top half and get it over with.

I took the hacksaw and cut the corners of the bumper support, then took a ball peen hammer and whacked the crap out of it. It went down. :D

The 94 and GS model has a couple changes in wiring according to the diagrams. Just check your Haynes or Chiltons to verify.
    RIP
    1995 7G 4G64 / 63T DOHC Turbo
    Part Out Coming Soon

In search of 2G 3000GT VR4

Daily driving
    Dat '08 Cobalt Coupe

I just went and bought a dremel and some metal cutting discs and see if i can get it to work tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by bmxmike View Post
    Hey Pogi how did you bend the bumper support? Did you guys also use a hammer and just bend it? And did you use just a hammer for did you also use a torch? I tried just a hammer and i could barley get the thing to budge the top of it started going concave but the sides where the other piece is welded onto wont move...Probably going to just go buy a grinder and cut the top half and get it over with.
    i don't know why it is hard for people to bend the supports back. took like 5 min to bend them. the funny thing is we didn't even take out the t-bar.

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    As far as the city lights, if i'm not mistaken, i thought the USDM corner light, fit right into the JDM city light socket. I didn't have to wire the city lights. My pair even came with the socket and wire harness, but i didn't need to use them. My lights are the 2piece glass lights.

yes the city lights and marker lights are the same

Quote Originally Posted by Proto View Post
    I've done it before. The USDM corner has a lower voltage like LED bulbs so you have to buy an Electric Flasher Can in order to achieve it so the turn signal blinks properly.
    What is a "electric flasher can"? I wired my turn signals to my USDM headlights and it flashes all fast and funny..... Let me know!

Proto
    Late and wrong, but you could just solder in a resistor to achieve the same affect.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    reggie i need pointers on the rewire to the turn for the usdm maybe im over analyzing it
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast