The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: FAILED EMMISSIONS

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    vorcatec

FAILED EMMISSIONS

Hey Guys,

My dumb ass took off my stock headers and I guess the catalytic converter in order to put on my aftermarket headers. But it still looks like I have a second catalytic converter underneath the car. However, my check engine light has been on, and I failed emissions. I don't have my stock parts anymore. Anyone have any suggestions for how to pass emmissions or where I can get VERY cheap parts?

well in md, chances are they aren't gonna do the sniffer test on your car. what they do is just hook up to the obd-ii system in your car. having the light on is why you failed emissions. what i'd do is check to see why the light is on. for all you know it might not be exhaust related but it most likely is.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    In New York just having the light on fails you.

same here in California. you will never pass the visual inspection as a check engine light is an automatic fail. get your O2 sensors working properly; definitely get a print out of the trouble code(s) that it's throwing so you know for sure what the problem is that's triggering the check engine light.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

theblackpearl
    heh in my hometown in cali once you get the car registered and smogged once. you never have to smog it again! its fuckin awesome..

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    check into your o2 sensors, and if you need em then you come back and holla at me. I been trying to put you guys on for the longest. Now i have a drawer full of O2's and i only needed 2 for myself. The light comes on when there is a problem with the emissions on the car. Could be anything from O2's to IAC, ISP, MAS, MAF, Vacuum, TB, and or your cat is clogged.

Try resetting the ECU and if the light stays off then good if it comes back on then there is a problem. Here in NY i get what I call a (no car inspection). Some of you know what that means. Hey for 80 bux pass or fail i get my sticker. My car has never got on their machine and if i can help it, it never will.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Quote Originally Posted by theblackpearl
    heh in my hometown in cali once you get the car registered and smogged once. you never have to smog it again! its fuckin awesome..
    Dude, what town is that? I'm moving!

Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingpinoy
    no shit, huh???

I will answer your question perfectly right now. Ok, the metal elements in your cat are called 'rare earth metals.' Because they are rare and you don't have them anymore you need to pay that $$$$$$$ to get your stock parts back on your ride to smog. I'm in the same situtation. I have the AMSS headers and downpipe and carsound cat. I can't smog. Plus I got that egr limiter. Your dumb butt along with me decided to just pitch the stock hardware and keep the nice shiny new parts. Because I and it sound like you did this we need to replace the aftermarket installed exhaust work with everything OEM, oil change the thing, a little 93 and you'll be good. Now, comes the question you'll ask. Well, I don't have the stock parts what do I do. I went to the mitsu dealer here in fresno and asked him how much it would be for the 3 cats and the stock exhaust castings plus all the bs bolts and shiz. He quoted me about 3000 dollars US just for the parts. I hit the floor. What? It's because the odd metal element in the cat are like hard to mine resource wise that it's expensive. They put like platnium isotopes and cadmium, silver, all sorts of odd stuff in the cat. In california you have 3 read that THREE cats here for ca smog compared to the fed spec 8g. So, you're basically _____ed. I know. I've been taking the bus for the last 6 months because of this. I'm basically in the situation now on asking myself if I want to donate the car, part it out, strip it, you can 'retire' the car under some odd ca program if you 'qualify.' They'll give you a 1000 bucks to retire the car. If you want to keep the car check a junk yard. You can also wink wink the smog dude but that's not very legal. Think about the global warming issues. I truly wish I was not in this situation. My car does not throw the ces light like yours does. I have some extensive work done on the O2 sensors done down in sd to get the light off. I probably have about 1500 invested in the exhaust alone on my ride and I cant drive it because I cant smog it hence no registration for me. What we need here at the galant center is CARB legal executive order all that exhaust parts for sale by a supplier. Until then you either have to remove the parts for smogging, go to some dude who will let you pat his back and pad his wallet or move to spain with the rain in the plain. I recomend seeking out a supplier or producer who will apply for carb legal full exhaust port back system for our cars. If that would happen I would drop the dough for the install and parts so I can smog my car and then drive it again. Sigh ... I don't think I'll ever fix my car considering it will be like 4000 dollars for the parts and install just to go back to stock slow no vroom sound poo. I recommend to you to give your car to 'carangels.org' as a tax shelter and then use your savings to buy a 2g eclipse for like 2-3 grand and then work on building that up. You'll find that carb legal parts are your only option when looking to build a street legal rod that will pass smog in california. check out nopi online for ideas on a replacement ride. Also check insurance rates for potential replacements. I no it's bogus but the legislators are looking after our planet. Later.

theblackpearl
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingpinoy
    amador county... 8)

go to autozone and have the light checked to find out what the code is...likely an O2 sensor as mentioned... they might just be reversed, or u need to move one behind the cat to fool the system. Or you can buy an ML Eliminatror (google it) and install that. I've got headers for 4 years and never failed emissions or threw a light. It's all about the install... if it's done right you'll pass the obd II emission test every time
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.