The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My 97 ES wont idle properly

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

My 97 ES wont idle properly

All,
    My 97 ES runs fine but at idle it runs funny. It normally idles at about 900 RPMs but starting yesterday I noticed the idle would be at the normal RPM, then itll drop down to about 3 or 400 RPMs, then it will go back up to the normal idle and idle fine for about 4-8 seconds then itll blip back down to 2-400 RPMs for about a second then come back up. But sometimes it blips down to 1oo RPMs or less and cuts off. I havent checked anything yet but heres what I was thinking so far (Someone PLEASE tell me if im wrong, I am by no means an expert and my G ride is my daily driver right now so I am hoping to get it squared away fast)

#1 check fuel pressure
    #2 check vacuum with a gauge
    #3 Check Idle Air Control

Any other hints???? I am going to pull my intake off and check everything from the honeycombs forward as well in case something is loose

and wassup peeps! I know I been gone a minute but im still around

bunyan
    blah blah blah

haha 87

87?
    blah blah blah

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulbunyan)</div><div class='quotemain'>87?</div>

haha decent

check your distributor also it may be going bad
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joaltava)</div><div class='quotemain'>check your distributor also it may be going bad</div>

Any suggestions as far as HOW to test it??? I could hook a timing light up to individual wires and see if they dont fire when the rpms drop...but then again too much fuel may cause it to not spark too right?

bunyan
    blah blah blah

Proto
    IAC = going bad.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proto)</div><div class='quotemain'>IAC = going bad.</div>

IAC = BAD = :x :x :x :x :x

lol...ill clean my throttle body and check the IAC later and post how it goes. Thanks for all the suggestionsz too so far guys!!!!

bunyan
    blah blah blah

blur2u
    Mine was having very similar problems. I just cleaned my throttlebody. (it was filthy) Now the problem is gone, but I did have to adjust my idle screw way down after the cleaning. It looks like in the past someone had raised the idle screw to compensate for the dirty throttlebody.

Thanks to manybrews for the tip!!

All,
    I filled my tank to 1/2 tank and the problem disappeared. Sometimes it's the obvious things

*doh*

bunyan
    blah blah blah

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    So it was out of gas? lol
    7g for life!

Yup. Ran outta gas lol...
    blah blah blah

Haha that sucks, Ive never ran out of gas in my Galant. Have a few times in my old truck though haha. Good times.
    7g for life!

I know man. I was thinking it was something else. I was dreading having to troubleshoot something else on my Galant. Now I just gotta do the distributor o ring and everything else is pretty much good to go. Oh yeah I think Ill have to do the lifters sometime soon. I be hearing them tick for the first 4 or 5 minutes when I start my car. Any hints on replacing em??

bunyan
    blah blah blah

They arent bad at all. I took mine out yesterday and cleaned them. You can do it without removing the cam gear or timing. I just followed the Vfaq. Putting the rockers back on was the hardest part, but I was expecting them to be a bigger pain. If I were you, Id just replace them with the revised 3g lifters. I cleaned them, soaked them for 2 days in cleaner, and they are still ticking haha

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/lifters.html
    7g for life!