The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: replace radiator in 8g

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    opy1095

replace radiator in 8g

I need to replace my radiator in my 99 galant is this hard? are there any tutorials?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    This must me done while the car is cool, any attempt to do this while the car is hot will result in minor or major burns. Do this at your own risk.

Drain radiator by unsrewing the top cap and locating the drain cock in the bottom left hand corner of the radiator, disconnect the radiator hoses from the top and the bottom of the radiator. Get 2 14mm bolts(for A/T) and disconnect the two lines at the bottom of the radiator that goes to the A/T and screw the 14mm bolts into the hole so it doesnt leak any fluid. Unplug the radiator fans and unbolt the radiator support brakets that holds the radiator in place. Slowly pull the radiator up and out of the way making sure there is nothing left connected to it to hold it down.

Now that the radiator is out you wanna lay it on the floor and start unbolting the radiator fans and swapping them onto the new radiator.
    Once done you want to install the new radiator in reverse order when you took it out.

Have like 2 gallons of Antifreeze, pour it in the radiator till it reaches a certail level, you will know when. Then start the car, and let run with the pressure cap off, when the engine reaches normal operating temp the fans will come on (for faster results you could rev the engine to make the fans come on) When they do, add more antifreeze it will go down slowly and bubbly cuz air is coming out, repeat this untill you have filled the radiator and it appears that it cannot take anymore. Replace the pressure cap and get the 12 or 14 i believe and look for the bleeder valve, should be a lil nut in the thermostat housing or some effect. Feel the top and bottom radiator hoses for heat and little by little loosen the bleeder valve till you see all the air and steam start to flow, repeat this process till no more air comes out, only antifreeze(hot). Then tighten the pressure valve and fill your resevoir to the half mark.

Get inside the car and turn on the heat to high and hot. Does heat come out of the vents?

Also check for leaks and check your temp guage, it should be at the right mark. On my G it doesnt even reach the middle mark but others may differ.

I might have missed a few things but when i do small jobs like that it really is a no brainer.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

chances are you still have the A/T so don't forget to check the AT fluid and make sure its back at the proper levels since you are gonna lose some when you disconnect the cooler

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    can someone re-up the pix?

and how long/far would you drive if the top of your radiator had a crack? I didn't even notice mine until today and I gotta take a 3.5 hr trip from Charlotte to Atlanta and back this weekend

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    nobody would be able to tell you that..every so often recheck your resevoir to make it isnt low but chances are you gonna have coolant all over the valve cover or manifold

its 4 bolts top mount bracket bolts;4 hose clamps(2 radiator 2 transmission cooler lines);and the fan plug;various small bolts to remove the fan shroud from the radiator;btw unclamp the transmission lines from the transmission its way easier for istall and reinstall
    Last edited by 02redgalant; 09-23-2010 at 02:37 PM

bleeder valve where is that??? i never noticed one when doing my head job.

There's a DIY video on youtube,Not hard at all.

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    when disconnecting the tran oil line I disconnected the one on the passenger side first and plugged it really quickly. then when I took off he driver side i did not lose much oil.

also my liquid came out brown when I changed it, Stewi recommended I used water wetter and mixed it with distilled water(4gal) and using that to clean up the inside, after a month drain that out again and then put 50/50.

Also i have never changed a radiator and it was really simple just notice where everything is, so drain, disconnect bottom hose, drain some more disconnect top hose drain some more, disconnect tranny lines plug them. unplug electrical, remove air box, remove two bolts and out it comes.
    Last edited by Dominicano; 09-28-2010 at 03:15 PM

Quote Originally Posted by mrg7243 View Post
    bleeder valve where is that??? i never noticed one when doing my head job.
    If by bleeder valve, you meant to say drain plug? If thats what your trying to say, it is located at the very bottom of the radiator. Get under your car with your head facing up, and pointing torwards the rear, you will notice the drain plug is on the bottom, right side of the radiator.

it looks exactly like this, but i think if i can remember correctly it is black.
    Last edited by Joshua42007; 09-28-2010 at 03:21 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    naw mine is white