The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: tune up, wire and plugs question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 35

tune up, wire and plugs question

I have asked a lot of question here lately, and I thank you for all your help, I am trying to save up to do all this work next year except for the temp sensor which I just ordered today.

But now I'm thinking on doing a semi tune up in a couple months.

I have been looking for plug wires, the cheapest aftermarket ones I have found are Accel thundersports for just under 70 bucks. Since my fiancee is footing the bill, I'd like to make it cheaper, she told me that she had a set of MSD wires that she bought for 45 bucks for her Honda. On my Honda, I have a set of Moroso, I think that they were substantially cheaper as well.

So now I'm thinking I can't find any good websites tailored to Galants. Well, this is a great site but I mean aftermarket online stores for Galants. Where do you guys go online to get your aftermarket parts for your G's?

I also need plugs, what are good and cheap that you would suggest? I'm a heavy footed driver but I rarely partake in racing my car. I don't think I'm going to need any iridium or platinum plugs.

But yeah, throw me out some suggestions for plugs and wires.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I would like aftermarket wires soley for the purpose of having colors to select from, my engine bay is soooo boring.

Thanks,
    Matt

i guess before i start suggesting brands, i should ask which color are you looking for lol

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

I don't really care. It's not like I'm doing a color theme to the car, I'm keeping the car really dark and subtle, but I just want a splash of color in the engine bay, any wires in red, blue, or yellow will do.

ngk makes wires for the 7g. thats what i have in my 8g. they were one of the cheapest that i could find for the 8g. i know ngk is quality because ngk makes some of the wires for mitsubishi. plus they're blue. always a plus in my book.

After a few hours of searching I found some NGK wires at summit for 57 bucks. Great price for what you get from what I read about them. Blue is a good color too

Now onto plugs. I don't need expensive plugs, I would like a good brand though. I thought about just heading to autozone or walmart to pick some up, but I'd like to hear what you suggest for plugs. Any brands better than the rest?

it sounds like you aren't gonna do much with your car then the factory plugs are good enough. nothing special.

Proto
    NGK V-Power's

just get stock plugs. no iriduim , no uranium, plutonium or platinum.

get the factory knickel plugs and set them to the stock gap.

thats what i run on my 19 psi 4g63t. cept mine are one range colder with a smaller gap. which would not benifit you

might as well replace your distributor cap and rotor while you are maintaining the ignition.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    run BKR5E-11 plugs. if you want one step colder, get BKR6E-11. won't hurt your motor if its unmodded, but run the 5s if you don't plan on putting on any mods. straight up copper V-power from NGK. no bullshit, just plugs that are more reliable than a trojan
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

By the way, how hard is it to change the distributor cap and rotor?

I think I'm going to go with NGK V-power plugs.

its pretty easy to do. there are a few bolts that hold the cap in and once the cap is removed the rotor should just pull out. one thing you got to remember is the order the wires were in on the old cap. shouldn't be too hard, just mark them before you pull them off the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    run BKR5E-11 plugs. if you want one step colder, get BKR6E-11. won't hurt your motor if its unmodded, but run the 5s if you don't plan on putting on any mods. straight up copper V-power from NGK. no bullshit, just plugs that are more reliable than a trojan
    you running 6 heat range matt?

you oughtta be

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

So, I had a misfire and had to change the plugs, I was in a hurry and grabbed what they (Advance) had at the counter, a set of Bosch Platinum 2's.

The car still stutters, so I'm going to try to get some new wires soon and do the tune up a lot sooner than planned.

I think I'll have a little extra money, so I plan to get a K&N filter for the stock location, I would like to try to drill a nice hole in the filter housing to increase airflow. I tried a search but found a bunch of CAI threads. Should I try to modify the housing or is it even worth it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ohgrfreak)</div><div class='quotemain'>So, I had a misfire and had to change the plugs, I was in a hurry and grabbed what they (Advance) had at the counter, a set of Bosch Platinum 2's.

The car still stutters, so I'm going to try to get some new wires soon and do the tune up a lot sooner than planned. Â*

I think I'll have a little extra money, so I plan to get a K&N filter for the stock location, I would like to try to drill a nice hole in the filter housing to increase airflow. Â*I tried a search but found a bunch of CAI threads. Â*Should I try to modify the housing or is it even worth it?</div>
    ditch those plugs man. nothing but pain.
    just tape your stock air filter onto the half of the airbox that is attached to the mas. then throw the rest of the intake parts in the garbage.
    or spend 15 bux on a cone filter and adaptor from ebay.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I didn't even think of that, I have a AEM cone filter on my wrecked Honda I could use. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do that (the MAF adapter).

So I should go back to the original plan with the NGK V power plugs, I'll change those again when I get the wires.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ohgrfreak)</div><div class='quotemain'>I didn't even think of that, I have a AEM cone filter on my wrecked Honda I could use. Â*Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do that (the MAF adapter).

So I should go back to the original plan with the NGK V power plugs, I'll change those again when I get the wires.</div>
    yes, run ngk or denso. only. its so incredibly easy to change the plugs in your car, there is no point to running anything other than a nice knickel plug.
    ngk-r w/ vpower.
    even the ngk platinums for your application are not preffered.
    and as cheap as they are, you could change them as often as you like, or as little as once every 18months. i change mine every other month on account of my turbocharged setup eats them up.
    but they will last in your application.

a very very good habit to have:
    :!: :arrow: every time you change your oil, pull a spark plug or 2. just pull em out and read them.
    what color? do they smell or appear to be fouled. does the electrode have a nice sharp edge on it? or is it rounded off?
    just keeping tabs on them will allow you to stay ahead of the game, as well as give you a heads up on how your engine is ACTUALLY performing in the long run.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I can't seem to find any autoparts stores here that carry the NGK plug wires, and I found out that summit charges way too much for handling and shipping, making the wires almost 70 bucks. I checked out other sites and found ACCEL wires.

Where are some good sites that carry the NGK wires, or would the ACCEL wires be a good idea?

i got mine at http://performancepartsstore.com/ they have good prices.

sparkplugs.com also has them. i believe they're like 22 bucks for the 7g. i believe we still have a discount there if you use the coupon code "CLUBTGC".

Is this car interchangable with my 7G? I found some wires that I love and the only model they have listed is a 1994 GS.

1994 galant GS 2.4L, 4 Cylinder, Gas, MFI, VIN "L"

I may get a set of ACCEL, and they are only 60 dollars with free shipping. I can't justify spending almost 70 bucks for NGKs unless you think they are really worth it.

weirdest thing. when i looked it up at sparkplugs.com i looked it up under a 98 galant and it was like 22 bucks. but then i looked it up for a 97 galant and it was 63. and i am 99.99% sure that the 97 and 98 galant have the same motor. i'll have to look into that.

ok i looked into it. the 98 shows the listing for the 8g galant. the 97 is the corect listing for the 7g sohc. with that said the ngk part number i believe is ME80.

then iwth a google search, i found this site http://www.clubplug.net/index.html which you can get the wires for less than 50 bucks shipped if the prices are correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast