The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Shutting Down After Starting

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    CanesFan08

Shutting Down After Starting

I have a 2001 Mit Galant. As soon as you start the car it turns right back off. We have installed a new battery connection, and we know it's not the battery. This has been happening off and on for about 3 weeks. There is no problem in the starting aspect, turns right over. Not running rough, no smells, etc. No lights on. The other thing is that when it happened tonight, our keyless entry stopped working and our interior light is not coming on, and now our stereo/CD is not working.

Suggestions??

check your fuses. one fuse that comes to mind is one of the 10 amp fuses in the engine bay fuse box that are in the yellow surround.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

CanesFan08
    Thank you! Would the fuse's also be a reason for the shut down after starting?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CanesFan08)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thank you! Would the fuse's also be a reason for the shut down after starting?</div>

yup

BlackGoose
    '07 Charger SXT

CanesFan08
    One last question (I think lol), are the fuses something that we can change, or do I need to take it in? Would a diagnostics test, or any other test, be able to identify what fuses are blown?

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    when your car turns on, does it shutter? like it wants to stay on but it does not? If so keep your foot on the gas to around 2000RPM and let the computer balance itself, this is normal as the computer is trying to see how much air it needs for idel.

CanesFan08
    No,not at all. It's actually a very smooth, quiet transition shutting off. Once we get it running, it also runs normally, except shutting down as soon as pressure lets up off the accelerator.

I wonder if the key has become unprogrammed for the car. If you start the car with a key not programmed for it the car will shut down just like you said. A green key light will come on on the dash.

the cheapest tihng you can do is grab the fuse puller for inside the dash and start pulling fuses. you'll see which ones are good and which ones are bad. the bad ones are the ones that are melted inside. once you see a couple of good ones, and you will if you are just randomly pulling fuses, then you'll easily notice while ones are bad cuz they look burnt inside.

CanesFan08
    Okay, pulled the fuses, they're fine. We took it down to an automotive place this a.m. He said it may be the crank sensor, and that AllData showed that part on recall for Mit. We get to the dealership and he said no recall. He said it sounds like something to do with the idle. On diagnostics from the 1st place, they said everything looks perfect. So, I now wait to hear from the dealership sometime today or tomorrow.

Thank you all SO much for your thoughts on this pain in the butt problem!

RollinBishiStyle
    I had a problem like that with mine, as soon as i sarted it it would shut off without shudder. Had the IAC(Idle Air Control) cleaned and that fixed it. Try that before you spend money on it.

silversound
    Where is the IAC(idle air control) located,and how much would it be to replace it? i am having a similar problem

Mine did the same after some mechanic decided to mess with some wires....something ended up being a little loose
    "If you can't spot the sucker in your first 30 minutes at the table, then you are the sucker."

CanesFan08
    Just got the call from the dealership. It's the throttle body. Going to run $196. Does that sound right?

what are they doing to the throttle body? i mean i know a new throttle body costs way more than that from the dealer. if they're just cleaning it then it something you can do for like 3 bucks and a few minutes.

CanesFan08
    My understanding is that they are just cleaning it. Is it something that is easy to get to and we can do it ourselves?

yea its pretty easy. i do it all the time on my car whenever im working anywhere near the throttle body.

but seeing that the dealer will probably have already charged you for diagnostics and have already cleaned it anyways, i guess you're stuck with it.

CanesFan08
    Yeah, they will charge for that regardless, so I guess were stuck. I knew going to the dealership was going to be more anyway. Out of all the research I did last night on the Net, nothing indicated the throttle body. Expensive lesson, unfortunately.

Thank you very much for your help.