The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tearstone V6 Turbo Kit (Lots of Pics)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 157
    im glad your doingit yourself keep the money inhouse haha where did you decide toget it tuned at im trying really hard to get my water injection finished and tuned before the meet

me you and dustin are gonna have a a crazy trip down to La hahaha
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Quote Originally Posted by underated
    im glad your doingit yourself keep the money inhouse haha where did you decide toget it tuned at im trying really hard to get my water injection finished and tuned before the meet

me you and dustin are gonna have a a crazy trip down to La hahaha
    Yeah, I'm I cheap bastard, besides getting it installed by a shop would cost way too much (got quoted around $1600 for a 2 day install :? ).

I'm thinking of getting it tuned at WORKS in San Francisco or BRG Racing in Concord. Most likely I'll go to BRG as thats where I did my baseline.

My plan for tonight is to get the supporting stuff, like colder plugs, fuel pump and maybe even try a test fit of the pipes, or get the injectors installed.

1600 wow dat is alot...
    i got quated 800-1000 tuned and everything,they guy looked over teh kit from tearstones site and said its simple bolt on so it wont be much..but i do have an I-4 compared to ur v6.i wish i was able to be like you and do it my self and save few bucks
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

got damn 1600 where was that quote from?

good luck Len let me know if you need any help are you doing this in SF?

take lots and lots of pictures
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

I was quoted 600.00 out the door tuned.
    Love,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by VegasMatt
    I was quoted 600.00 out the door tuned.
    That's actually pretty good - I might have gone with a shop if they charged that - the one that was for $1600 was WORKS (expensive, but they specialize in Mitsubishi) - it was actually $95/hr est at 2 days, but I really think it is an 8 hour or so job so it might not have been that much as the guy was estimating on the safe side. This did not include tuning though, so thats a real good quote.

I'm sure I could have gotten a quote cheaper somewhere else, but I want the satisfaction of putting it on myself.

I dont have the time to install the kit myself, its easier for me to drop the car off and pick it up in a few days. The shop that is going to do mine did AK1s 1st turbo 8g so they know what they are doing. They also specialize in Mitsu, lots of Evo's but there is room for a Galant in there.
    Love,
    Matt

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingpinoy
    I'm sure I could have gotten a quote cheaper somewhere else, but I want the satisfaction of putting it on myself.
    if your installing it urself,better get used to riding a bear like the guy over tehre
    <<<

j.k good luck, we need more progress pics

Tearstone
    I like what you did with those manifolds I'll be following this thread and trying my best to help you when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearstone
    I like what you did with those manifolds I'll be following this thread and trying my best to help you when I can.
    Unfortunately, the paint didn't hold up and is flaking off :?

Got the fuel pump installed - I spent friggin hours trying to get the damn lock ring back in place and its still off - maybe the fuel fumes were getting me loopy. I still don't have the !**#@$ lock ring on - found a place that sells specialized tools and am having that special Mitsu tool the ring overnighted to me so I can get er' done. The mallet and screwdriver wasn't cutting it for me as everytime I tapped, the ring would start to displace and get lopsided.

I think I may have to figure out something for the power steering cooling loop that goes in front of the radiator - test fit of the intercooler looked like the piping might run into that. On the plus side - the intercooler fits nicely in the lower opening of the bumper, after removing the piece of black plastic. I'm sure I may still have to cut a bit from the bumper cover, but it doesn't look like I have to cut too much.

Going to drop and tap the oil pan tonight and finish off the exhaust side piping. Pics to come.

there should be a single bolt on the bracket that the hood latch connects to i undid that bolt and put the power steering cooler on the other side of it and then bolted the bracket back up. works like a charm

we need pics every night you work on it haha i feel like a junky that needs a fix lol

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    hmm, i disconnected my power steering loop that runs in front of the radiator. it got in the way of my intercooler too. i've only had the steering cut out once but it was a hot day and i was turning the wheel back and forth like crazy cause i was in a parking lot. eventually i plan on using my auto tranny cooler as a power steering fluid cooler.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Bye bye short ram, you served me well. Time to find you a new home.

Pulling out the fuel pump assembly - probably one of the hardest parts - took me a good part of the night trying to wrestle the damn thing out.

Buckets of fun:

New Walboro fuel pump (silver) and old OEM fuel pump (gold) - notice the Walboro is longer, hence the need for modifying the fuel pickup sock (see http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23630 ):

Don't think I'll have any issues with battery clearance:

Prepping the front and rear collectors, wategate, and BOV:

Test fit of the front collector - the square flange is where the turbo sits. Had to remove the driver's side fan for clearance. The lower radiator hose is just barely touching the pipes - Tearstone is sending me a heatshield for that:

Wastegate, say hello to filter :?
    Actually, I've got a Greddy oil filter adapter that adds about 1/2" of height to the filter, so there really shouldn't be any clearance issues once I remove that Greddy adapter:

Progress has been hampered by the search for some proper tools to tap the oil pan - of course the Home Depot that's 3 minutes from my house doesn't have the tool I'm looking for :evil:

Also gotta say that the OEM exhaust from the cat to the precats is one heavy mofo - glad its gone :twisted:

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar
    aah you neened one of these

too bat it doesnt help you put the thing back together again!
    would the oem fuel pump for the V6 fit the i4?

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar
    would the oem fuel pump for the V6 fit the i4?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krispy03)</div><div class='quotemain'>aah you neened one of these

too bat it doesnt help you put the thing back together again!
    would the oem fuel pump for the V6 fit the i4?</div>

Actually, I was able to find a company that sells specialized tools, and they sell that particular tool - it is soooooo much easier to screw in the ring with the tool, and I imagine that it would save gobs of time in the removal. Plus, it was a bit disconcerting to be banging on the fuel tank with a hammer and scewdriver :shock:

Some more updates:

Originally had a problem with the lower radiator hose touching the turbo piping:

Tearstone's solution was to flip the radiator hose [Guinness]BRILLIANT![/Guinness] Now there is plenty of room - also removed some brackets holding down some wiring:

Got the oil pan tapped with gobs of JB Weld for good measure:

Test fit of the turbo and intake assembly (wire to MAS had to be extended):

To get the intake piping to fit, the battery has to be either relocated, or replaced with the Braille battery - a perfect fit actually:

Rotated the compressor section of the turbo down:

Drivers side plumbing for the intercooler to the throttle body:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

do it do it. I can't wait to see the finished product. What psi do you expect to be running? Also, did you build up your engine at all for this?

Tearstone
    Your making a lot of progress with your kit installation. I really appreciate all the feedback in all the emails that I have received from you.

She's looking purdy

While the wastegate looks like it comes pretty close to the filter the top of the wastegate never really gets that hot believe it or not, plus it recircs right back into the downpipe:

BTW, that's a cute little battery haha

dmn great progress Len looks like you should be done before the meet... what else do you have to finish up

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(underated)</div><div class='quotemain'>dmn great progress Len looks like you should be done before the meet... what else do you have to finish up</div>

What's left:[LIST]
    Remove plenium
    (dropped my ratchet wrench in the back, so I need to get one of those claw thingies to get it out, which is holding up a lot of work :oops: )
    Install injectors
    Install fuel rail spacers
    Install colder plugs
    install e-manage
    extend O2 sensors
    finish intercooler piping
    mount intercooler
    refill coolant
    refill oil
    remount bumper cover, cutting where necessary
    double check all mounting/bolts/etc
    [LIST]