The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tearstone V6 Turbo Kit (Lots of Pics)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Showing results 81 to 100 of 157
    Tearstone
    LOL you guys were right on the money. I just replied over on Club3G.com saying the same thing. Check for vacuum leaks. The car should idle like it came off the showroom floor at the dealership.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tearstone)</div><div class='quotemain'>LOL you guys were right on the money. I just replied over on Club3G.com saying the same thing. Check for vacuum leaks. The car should idle like it came off the showroom floor at the dealership.</div>
    Us 7gers are "turbo" smart
    7g for life!

i wish u guys lived in my town :cry:
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Tearstone
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tearstone)</div><div class='quotemain'>LOL you guys were right on the money. I just replied over on Club3G.com saying the same thing. Check for vacuum leaks. The car should idle like it came off the showroom floor at the dealership.</div>
    Us 7gers are "turbo" smart </div>

That's a relief, I'm happy to see a positive support group here on these forums.

Yah my MAF popped off my intake pipe today(no clue why, second time its hapenned! stupid worm clamps). Car died, would start back up but was hard to keep an idle, had to give it gas intermitantly. Popped the coupler back on, ran like a champ
    7g for life!

Tearstone
    Got a story as well on a hard lesson to learn about vacuum leaks.

When I first started installing turbos on the Eclipse GT a common thing to do is swap out the upper intake plenum at the same time for better flow. I put a GTS plenum on a GT car and bolted everything down for it's first start up. So, the time came to fire her up and she wouldn't keep running! I was starting to panic... like WTF did I do wrong? So I sat on it for a day then we started poking around the engine bay to find out that the upper intake plenum was not sitting flat on the lower intake plenum. Apparently the brackets no the GTS that hold up the rear of the plenum are different than the GT so although we though it was bolted down tight it wasn't. Fixed that and she ran like a champ.

Another time it happened was recently where learning everything I have before... I couldn't crack this one but of course this guy was using a Diamante VRX plenum. Typically when changing plenums the EGR recirc tube is eliminated in the process. So the vacuum leak was actually the valve was stuck open on the plenum and the idle was just horrible although it did stay running. So I put my finger over the EGR hole... and it was like a night and day difference. The fix for that was just to pull the hose off of the valve.

That also leads me to wonder what other side effects does disabling the EGR have as well.

my car wont idle when the battery gets disconnected. it will idle very low (like 400rpm then stall, and if ur driving it and shift into neutral while rolling after driving it the first time after connecting the battery, it will stall) it shakes and vibrates and freaks out all over the place. when stopped, just my .2
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Short video I took last night of the first startup:
    Low res (208x160 858kb):
    http://home.comcast.net/%7Elen_dejesus/Tur...2005-12-30s.wmv

Med res (320x240 2,283kb):
    http://home.comcast.net/%7Elen_dejesus/Tur...-2005-12-30.wmv

Hmm open wastegate? Wheres the smoke coming from again? Definitely check for boost and vacuum leaks. Did you use tbolt clamps or worm clamps?
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hmm open wastegate? Â*Wheres the smoke coming from again? Â*Definitely check for boost and vacuum leaks. Â*Did you use tbolt clamps or worm clamps?</div>

I routed the vacuum line from the wastegate to the turbo compressor outlet. When installing the wastegate it looked closed - I'll check it again.

Worm clamps on all the silicon elbows/connectors for the intercooler piping, t-bolt clamps on the exhaust.

Smoke is coming out of the area where the downpipe and the turbo meet.

Found another thing, looks like the Braille battery got drained, so I'm going to just pick up a kit to relocate the OEM battery to the trunk.

I tapped the vac line from the FPR for the BOV and boost sensor - that should be fine, right?

Just thought it sounded loud. You have the downpipe and everything hooked up? Probably just the garage.

Oil should not be in the downpipe, check the turbo inlet and see if theres any oil there. Might have something leaking onto the pipe.

Go for the battery relocation. Just get a sealed Optima yellow top, they rock! You can get a battery box at Auto Zone I believe. I bought a relocation kit off Summit for $50. Not an NHRA legal box(requires certain tie downs and ventilation), but its good enough for right now.
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Go for the battery relocation. Â*Just get a sealed Optima yellow top, they rock! Â*You can get a battery box at Auto Zone I believe. Â*I bought a relocation kit off Summit for $50. Â*Not an NHRA legal box(requires certain tie downs and ventilation), but its good enough for right now.</div>

While your at summit grab the entire kit from taylor its only 120 or so and I believe it is HHRA legal.

Wander: good luck with this project I can only imagine whats going through your head as your coming to the conclusion of the install.

Tearstone
    That smoking looks pretty normal to me after an install, it goes away after running the car for a bit.

The speaker on this computer is kind of crappy, so I can't say for sure if what I'm hearing is normal or not.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tearstone)</div><div class='quotemain'>That smoking looks pretty normal to me after an install, it goes away after running the car for a bit. Â*

The speaker on this computer is kind of crappy, so I can't say for sure if what I'm hearing is normal or not.</div>
    yeah after getting your greasy hands all over the turbine, manifolds, and all your exhaust piping its going to take several miles to bake it all off.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

PacificGlow
    Very nice! I'm glad to see Russ making customers happy
    The kit for my eclipse will be here shortly!

Let me know how everything turns out!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tearstone)</div><div class='quotemain'>That smoking looks pretty normal to me after an install, it goes away after running the car for a bit. Â*

The speaker on this computer is kind of crappy, so I can't say for sure if what I'm hearing is normal or not.</div>

yup, especially if the pipes are jett coated. my AAI manifold smoked for about 2 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I recharged the battery, and was able to get it idling for a second, but it dies again. What should the vacuum reading be at idle?

I'm going to break down the IC piping and redo it again.

Any of you guys in the Bay Area think you would be available to perhaps give me a hand?

Edit:
    I'm getting code P0102 (mass or volume air flow circuit low input) - I'm guessing I still have a leak somewhere. I tried my Home Depot IC tester, but I think I need to blow some kind of smoke in there first to see where the leak is.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    just get soapy water in a spray bottle and lightly spray it where the pipes are connected, if you have a leake it will bubble, if you have a bad leak, it will spray all over...
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>I recharged the battery, and was able to get it idling for a second, but it dies again. What should the vacuum reading be at idle? Â*

I'm going to break down the IC piping and redo it again.

Any of you guys in the Bay Area think you would be available to perhaps give me a hand?

Edit:
    I'm getting code P0102 (mass or volume air flow circuit low input) - I'm guessing I still have a leak somewhere. I tried my Home Depot IC tester, but I think I need to blow some kind of smoke in there first to see where the leak is.</div>if you can hear that htere is a leak coming from somethwre(probably many places)
    just take a long piece of boost line and put it in your ear. then with the other end move it over the suspected leak areas and listen for the leak.
    you will find them in many places.
    usual suspects
    ANY intake gasket you might have- throttle body, upper, lower plenum
    -lower injector seals. these things turn into hard plastic when they get old. also, if you didn't seat one properly it will leak like crazy.
    -retrace all of your boost lines. make sure they are zip tied at the nipple.
    if you don't have any boost leaks you should be able to maintain a constant pressure in your charge pipes. you cna use your boost gauge, or mount a pressure gauge on the boost leak tester.
    its almost always something simple though

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i used carb/choke cleaner to find the leaks near my injector seals but you have to use it while the car is on cause when you spray it near a leak the rpms go up. but if your sar wont stay on i dont think it will work for you.

did you look over the settings on the emanage?
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast