The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Transponder Key

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Transponder Key

So i was thinking about getting one of those lil switchblade type of keys like this one

cracking it open and throwing the key fob for my alarm inside so that i can have an all in one device.

if i had a 99 that would be really easy since they don't use transponder keys. but i don't. i have a 2k so that means i have to deal with the transponder key.

at first i was thinking hey, just cut off the key and squeeze the head in there. but it isn't that simple. with the transponder key a small amount of power is applied to the key via the ignition switch. then a certain frequency must be read from the key before the car will start and stay running.

with that said, anyone with the knowledge, you think all i'd have to do is connect the key blade to the key head via a wire or something a rather or is it come complicated??

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Re: Transponder Key

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    So i was thinking about getting one of those lil switchblade type of keys like this one

cracking it open and throwing the key fob for my alarm inside so that i can have an all in one device.

if i had a 99 that would be really easy since they don't use transponder keys. but i don't. i have a 2k so that means i have to deal with the transponder key.

at first i was thinking hey, just cut off the key and squeeze the head in there. but it isn't that simple. with the transponder key a small amount of power is applied to the key via the ignition switch. then a certain frequency must be read from the key before the car will start and stay running.

with that said, anyone with the knowledge, you think all i'd have to do is connect the key blade to the key head via a wire or something a rather or is it come complicated??
    there is no power delivered to the key from the switch. Its all done with a magnetic field. So just cutting off the head MAY in fact work, provided its not shielded too much.

OoO. thanks for the info.

ahh i just seen that key on ebay like 5 mins ago i was gona bid till i seen it was for an 98 ,-/....Let us know bro if it works..
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

TGC Regular
    I was thinking about getting one of those awhile back, especially since I have a '99!! But not to rub it in or nothing..LOL, us '99 year owners had to survive alot of recalls for you other guys. Anyway, I believe you can cut off the head of you key and mount it near or in your column so that you could use that key. If I'm not mistaken this is how installers put remote starts on cars equipped with this feature. You could also try to locate a mitusbishi or universal transponder bypass to accomplish the same thing. This is what my boi does at his shop when installing remote starters.

Here are a couple that may work for you, so you don't have to get another key coded at the dealership.
    http://www.gizmocity.com/vats.html

http://www.bypasskit.com/printpage.aspx?prodid=PKU-MIT

to test it out, i'll probably get a copy made of the key at the hardware store. yea, no transponder, and use that to start the car. but my transponder key will be on the same key ring as the key i use to start that car. if that works, i'll go ahead and order the things i need.

you 99 and older guys are lucky. there are alarm and keyless entry kits out there that come with the switchblade key fob so all you have to do is wire up the alarm/keyless entry and then get a key cut.

but yea, i'll keep you guys updated.