The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car temp question(problem)

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Car temp question(problem)

So two days ago, I was driving 80MPH and I lay an eye on the temp gauge and it's pointing alittle higher than it usually does right on the middle mark that's located on the fuell gaugh that's next to it. So I was thinking the car might need some coolent. I check it and it's fine, no need. So I decided to take it yesterday to a mechanic and see what he says. He said that my water pump was over due (70k) and that I should change it along with the belt (my belt was loud anyway and I was planning to change it). So I said sure, and did the deal for $500.00 flat (hopfully I didn't get rippid off?) here is the problem...

after the mechanic did the change, I drove this morning for an hour and the car's temp gaugh is still higher than what it used to be. Its pointing right on the middle mark of the fuel gaugh but it didn't increase or cross the mark at all. it just maintained that. Also when I parked the car and let the it idel, it ideals around 900rpm now instead of the usual 600RPM. I thought reseting the ECU might fix the problem so I disconnected the battry now and I will reconnect it in an hour or so....

so anyideas what could be doing that?

Experienced TGC Member
    Change your Thermostat.

very easy, takes no more than 20 minutes, and should fix you right up
    -Chris

do you have to drain the radiator to install the thermostat? and where is it located excatly?

Man I just started having the same problem last week. How much does a new thermostat cost? Is it any easy install?
    "A mile of road takes you one mile...A mile of runway takes you anywhere."

Re: Car temp question(problem)

Quote Originally Posted by xmor
    So two days ago, I was driving 80MPH and I lay an eye on the temp gauge and it's pointing alittle higher than it usually does right on the middle mark that's located on the fuell gaugh that's next to it. So I was thinking the car might need some coolent. I check it and it's fine, no need. So I decided to take it yesterday to a mechanic and see what he says. He said that my water pump was over due (70k) and that I should change it along with the belt (my belt was loud anyway and I was planning to change it). So I said sure, and did the deal for $500.00 flat (hopfully I didn't get rippid off?) here is the problem...

after the mechanic did the change, I drove this morning for an hour and the car's temp gaugh is still higher than what it used to be. Its pointing right on the middle mark of the fuel gaugh but it didn't increase or cross the mark at all. it just maintained that. Also when I parked the car and let the it idel, it ideals around 900rpm now instead of the usual 600RPM. I thought reseting the ECU might fix the problem so I disconnected the battry now and I will reconnect it in an hour or so....

so anyideas what could be doing that?
    first thing.. there is no "overdue" time to replace a waterpump. there is NO time schedualed to ever replace it. you replace it if it fails. some places sell one every time they do a timing belt, which is a complete waste of time and money.
    i can count on one hand the amount of water pumps Ive had to replace in the past 5 years.... they just dont fail. And even if you WANT to replace it during the timing belt service, you shouldnt bother until the second belt is due (at 120K miles).
    now, having said all that, replacing the water pump isnt going to cure ANY overheating issue UNLESS that waterpump was physically leaking. water pump vanes are made of steel; they dont "wear out" with time, nor do they every loose the ability to cool the engine. The only reason to EVER replace on is due to a leak or a failing bearing (usually both happen at the same time).

next issue. If it idles too high, the guy did something wrong, which wouldnt surprise me considering hes recommending a waterpump at 70K.

As far as I can remember, my car has always ran that way, the temp gauge needle is always in the middle, even though a previous Galant I had ran much cooler. I've posted a topic about this a while back, but noone seemed to know the reason. My car is in pretty good condition under the hood, and I even took it to the dealer trying to figure it out, but they said that nothing is overheating, everything is ok and all. I even tried flushing the radiator, etc... Anyways, if you figure out the problem, PM me :?

what year is your car??

i know with some of the 99's they had a lil overheating problem because they ran a single fan setup. but in years later they upgraded to a dual fan setup

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    what year is your car??

i know with some of the 99's they had a lil overheating problem because they ran a single fan setup. but in years later they upgraded to a dual fan setup
    actually, the dual fans were added to help AC performance.

the cars shouldnt overheat no matter what... even in 110 degree weather.

there are many reasons as to why it would run hot.. T-stat, fans inop, low coolant, etc.etc.