The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SES light came on after sputter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 53 of 53
    You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    Well now im kinda stuck.. went to Advanced auto to use their obdII... said cylinder 2, so I swapped coil pack and boot from cylinder 2 to cylinder 4.. re-ran codes, it STILL said cylinder 2 misfire.. and this was after i let my SES light go off by leaving the key in Acc for a few mins... so I bought a spark plug socket, tightened the spark plug, which is brand new, re-connected coil pack and boot, cylinder 4 pack n boot still on cylinder 2 and vice versa.. still sputtering... possible 1 spark plug is bad? they are pre-gapped, thats what the guy at Advanced asked about.. wires are new.. plugs are new... what the hizell

TGC Regular
    if ur ses comes on
    run
    Donovan J.

Need something from england..or other eastern nations holla...
    I dont mind looking.

Car: Toyota Soarer GT-T Jspec "Limited"
    Galant: at home chillaxen :(

I don't really know how our Galants store codes.... But, I'd make sure that the code is cleared for sure, before you swap things around. I actually disconnected my battery a couple of times during this troubleshooting. REMEMBER to have your code for your radio handy, if you still have the stock stereo.

Anyways clear the code, then when it re-appears, check it again. Just to make sure. If it's giving you the same code for the same cylinder, look to see what stayed the same after your swapping....

For instance, if you swapped coilpacks and boots, what about the cables that go to the other 2 plugs (off the side of the coilpacks)? If you still have the same code, for the same cylinder, it may be one of these cables (if you did not swap them around before).

Quote Originally Posted by Satan
    I don't really know how our Galants store codes.... But, I'd make sure that the code is cleared for sure, before you swap things around. I actually disconnected my battery a couple of times during this troubleshooting. REMEMBER to have your code for your radio handy, if you still have the stock stereo.

Anyways clear the code, then when it re-appears, check it again. Just to make sure. If it's giving you the same code for the same cylinder, look to see what stayed the same after your swapping....

For instance, if you swapped coilpacks and boots, what about the cables that go to the other 2 plugs (off the side of the coilpacks)? If you still have the same code, for the same cylinder, it may be one of these cables (if you did not swap them around before).
    Yeh I'm thinking my ECU didnt fully reset when I did the swapping yesterday, I just disconnected my battery 20 mins ago, gonna leave it off for an hour then put it back on, swap 2 back over to 4 then drive the car calmly.. then tomorrow i'll get on it a bit and see if the code comes up, if it does it should come up as a cylinder 4 misfire instead of 2, since I'm bringing both coil pack and boot from 2 to 4.. as far as the wires go, those are brand new, they better not be givin me any dam trouble... lifetime warranty on em if they are though

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2

Yeh I'm thinking my ECU didnt fully reset when I did the swapping yesterday, I just disconnected my battery 20 mins ago, gonna leave it off for an hour then put it back on, swap 2 back over to 4 then drive the car calmly.. then tomorrow i'll get on it a bit and see if the code comes up, if it does it should come up as a cylinder 4 misfire instead of 2, since I'm bringing both coil pack and boot from 2 to 4.. as far as the wires go, those are brand new, they better not be givin me any dam trouble... lifetime warranty on em if they are though
    yea man this is what i did. i already got it man... its the Coil on my 8G. i have to wait for the parts.... hey Serstyles hit me up if you need that thing we talked about... later.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n3oAcid24)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    yea man this is what i did. i already got it man... its the Coil on my 8G. i have to wait for the parts.... hey Serstyles hit me up if you need that thing we talked about... later.</div>

Yea I will.. I got my SES light to come back on and the car is stuttering again, not as bad as before but it is... I'll scan it tomorrow, and if it says cylinder 4 then I'm in good shape.. I'll probably just buy it from u right away if it says cylinder 4, and get a new boot, 2 birds 1 stone ya kno.. I'll be in touch tho, thanks again

Misfire issue solved for me....

I swapped the coils around and found that the misfire moved to a different cylinder. Then, I swapped the boots and found that one of 'em was kinda "broken" inside (maybe from the previous owner changing plugs).

I did not have to buy a new coilpack... just the boot.

Cost about $18...

Mitsubishi part number is MN158977...
    for future reference, how do you take off the coil boot from the coil????

^^Just gotta pull on it and maybe twist, or "slightly bend," if you plan to re-use it.

It's been awhile, but I don't remember it being a difficult thing.

replaced the Coil Pack last night after work......... car runs WAY smoother now... that took care of lots of problems....

im gonna finish this thing up tomorrow since I have time after practice.. i need to be running smooth again

im gonna finish this thing up tomorrow since I have time after practice.. i need to be running smooth again
    hey man let me know if you need the part.... hope everything works out for you.... oh yea, hit someone in practice for me......

gooood news, I'm at Circuit City typin this right now, just ran in to get the part # for the boot... finally the damn misfire is reading on cylinder 4, gonna buy the new boot now from the dealership up the street, see if that gets it... if not I'll PM you for the coil pack... FINALLY!!!

gooood news, I'm at Circuit City typin this right now, just ran in to get the part # for the boot... finally the damn misfire is reading on cylinder 4, gonna buy the new boot now from the dealership up the street, see if that gets it... if not I'll PM you for the coil pack... FINALLY!!!

lol you sound like a kid at the candy store. lol....... koo man i hope you get the thing taken care of. i think the boot should be enough.... anyways, let me know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123