The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SES light came on after sputter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 53
    Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    hey man im having the same problem. let me know what happends.... last time my SES light came on it was 3 cylinder misfire. so let me know how you fix it.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n3oAcid24
    hey man im having the same problem. let me know what happends.... last time my SES light came on it was 3 cylinder misfire. so let me know how you fix it.
    First thing to try is changing plugs/wires, thats wat the recommended fix is. I'm still tryin to figure out why mine is misfiring, but you may just have a regular case and have to change the plugs n wires. Stick w. NGK plugs and almost any wires for your car will be fine. I have Duralast on there, OEM is best, Magnecor makes some, so does NGK

edit: you have Magnecor's, I'd just change plugs, stick w. NGK like i said

koo. yea im trying to get some NGK wires but cant find them in Chicago.... i checked my plugs last night and they were find. i have some extras in the car too..... anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2
    http://sparkplugs.com/results_cross.asp?pid=me96

NGK wires for i4
    i know but i was trying to pick them up locally so i can put them on this weekend........... most likely im going to order them from that site...

oem wires

i have some off a totaled 8g i4 stock pm me a offer
    I have a salvage galant with grey interior and white outside very little body damage just little dents. I think it has a locked motor because it ticks and it has a new starter. It is a total part out and I have parts from many other galants in the past. Pm me if you need any parts and I will let you know if I have them or not.

Re: oem wires

Quote Originally Posted by atish25
    have what, plug wires? How much could you do for 1 coil pack?

Re: oem wires

Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2
    Quote Originally Posted by atish25
    have what, plug wires? How much could you do for 1 coil pack?
    i need a coil too..... let us know.

update.. car doesnt really sputter anymore, havent pushed it at all, idles rough but nowhere near as rough as it was.. I did add some fuel injector cleaner the other night and it seems that adding that has calmed the car down, could it be a fuel problem based on that fact, or strictly cylinder/spark plug/spark wire/coil pack since the code shows Cylinder 2 misfire?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Serstylz2)</div><div class='quotemain'>update.. car doesnt really sputter anymore, havent pushed it at all, idles rough but nowhere near as rough as it was.. I did add some fuel injector cleaner the other night and it seems that adding that has calmed the car down, could it be a fuel problem based on that fact, or strictly cylinder/spark plug/spark wire/coil pack since the code shows Cylinder 2 misfire?</div>

well i add the cleaner every time i fill up. at first yes it worked but then it all comes back after a while.... i get a misfire on the 4th cylinder and then it says RANDOM..... kinda sucks.

Misfire issue solved for me....

I swapped the coils around and found that the misfire moved to a different cylinder. Then, I swapped the boots and found that one of 'em was kinda "broken" inside (maybe from the previous owner changing plugs).

I did not have to buy a new coilpack... just the boot.

Cost about $18...

Mitsubishi part number is MN158977...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Satan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Misfire issue solved for me.... Â*

I swapped the coils around and found that the misfire moved to a different cylinder. Then, I swapped the boots and found that one of 'em was kinda "broken" inside (maybe from the previous owner changing plugs). Â*

Cost about $18... Â*

Mitsubishi part number is MN158977...</div>

what do you mean by "BOOT"?

There is a boot that comes off the bottom of the coilpack and goes onto the spark plug. Inside that boot there is a spring and some plastics, etc... anyways, these sometimes get beat up and break (don't work right anymore).

When I got my SES code for the misfire, I swapped the coilpacks to isolate the isse and ensure it was coilpack related. I then swapped this boot from the bottom of the coilpacks and found that my misfire moved with the boot. BTW: The SES code will tell you which cylinder the misfire is happening on. So you have to pull the code, after each move.

I called the dealer and a few other places and all said that the boot only came with a new coilpack, but I found out different... hence the partnumber in my earlier post.

Hopefully this helps ya out some.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Satan)</div><div class='quotemain'>There is a boot that comes off the bottom of the coilpack and goes onto the spark plug. Â*Inside that boot there is a spring and some plastics, etc... anyways, these sometimes get beat up and break (don't work right anymore).

When I got my SES code for the misfire, I swapped the coilpacks to isolate the isse and ensure it was coilpack related. Â*I then swapped this boot from the bottom of the coilpacks and found that my misfire moved with the boot. Â*BTW: Â*The SES code will tell you which cylinder the misfire is happening on. Â*So you have to pull the code, after each move.

I called the dealer and a few other places and all said that the boot only came with a new coilpack, but I found out different... hence the partnumber in my earlier post.

Hopefully this helps ya out some.</div>

ok now i get it. so the bottom comes off and that the boot. well i know its misfiring in the 4th cylinder(PO304). so what ill do is switch the coilpacks to make sure thats it. i already have some coming in though. im sure its the coilpacks.... if not though.... im also waiting on the NGK wires.....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Satan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Misfire issue solved for me.... Â*

I swapped the coils around and found that the misfire moved to a different cylinder. Then, I swapped the boots and found that one of 'em was kinda "broken" inside (maybe from the previous owner changing plugs). Â*

Cost about $18... Â*

I just went out n did this, didnt take off each boot tho, just swapped the whole piece from cylinder 2 to cylinder 4.. car is still spuddering but my SES light went off for now, when it comes back on I'll get the code read and see if it went to Cylinder 4 misfire, if so then I will be elated to buy a new boot... I'm still doin research as to what our coil pack is/looks like, I dunno what I'm even lookin for.. is the coil pack the square box that sits on top of the boot assembly?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Serstylz2)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Satan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Misfire issue solved for me.... Â*

Cost about $18... Â*

I just went out n did this, didnt take off each boot tho, just swapped the whole piece from cylinder 2 to cylinder 4.. car is still spuddering but my SES light went off for now, when it comes back on I'll get the code read and see if it went to Cylinder 4 misfire, if so then I will be elated to buy a new boot... I'm still doin research as to what our coil pack is/looks like, I dunno what I'm even lookin for.. is the coil pack the square box that sits on top of the boot assembly?</div>

isnt the coilpack the whole thing? instead of the plug wires going in there, its the coil right? i think thats right.

I'll see if I can post a pic of it tonight (drove my Supra to work today).

Basically, what you have on the 4 cyl is 2 coilpacks on top. Each coilpackhas a cable coming out to a plug, as well as the boot underneath. Each coiplack controls 2 plugs/cylinders.

So when I saw this, I realized that if it truly was that a coilpack went bad, chances are that both plugs would not get a spark (tho the SES code only showed 1 cyl misfire).

Once you loosen/remove the 2 10mm bolts holding the coilpack down, simply lift/pull it up. The piece underneath is the boot. Be carefull that you don't F it up any worse thn it may be. Without bending the boot, pull it off of the coilpack and replace it.

The coilpacks are interchangeable, so you can move them, then move the boots, so that you can isolate the EXACT cause of the misfire.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Satan)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'll see if I can post a pic of it tonight (drove my Supra to work today).

Basically, what you have on the 4 cyl is 2 coilpacks on top. Â*Each coilpackhas a cable coming out to a plug, as well as the boot underneath. Â*Each coiplack controls 2 plugs/cylinders.

So when I saw this, I realized that if it truly was that a coilpack went bad, chances are that both plugs would not get a spark (tho the SES code only showed 1 cyl misfire).

Once you loosen/remove the 2 10mm bolts holding the coilpack down, simply lift/pull it up. Â*The piece underneath is the boot. Â*Be carefull that you don't F it up any worse thn it may be. Â*Without bending the boot, pull it off of the coilpack and replace it.

The coilpacks are interchangeable, so you can move them, then move the boots, so that you can isolate the EXACT cause of the misfire.</div>

awesome explanation, I know exactly what i'm looking at now. I'm gonna try to get the code to return today and get the code read, should say cylinder 4 misfire now.. when that happens, I will try to swap the boots around and see if I can isolate the problem that way like you did..

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Serstylz2)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Satan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Misfire issue solved for me.... Â*

Cost about $18... Â*

I just went out n did this, didnt take off each boot tho, just swapped the whole piece from cylinder 2 to cylinder 4.. car is still spuddering but my SES light went off for now, when it comes back on I'll get the code read and see if it went to Cylinder 4 misfire, if so then I will be elated to buy a new boot... I'm still doin research as to what our coil pack is/looks like, I dunno what I'm even lookin for.. is the coil pack the square box that sits on top of the boot assembly?</div>

Arel here are a few pics of the coil packs on my G. It's a little dirty :oops:

yea man this should take rooughly around 5 minutes to do.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast