The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: TearStone-8g I-4 Turbo Info 4/3 update pics/ vid/ #'s

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 310

TearStone-8g I-4 Turbo Info 4/3 update pics/ vid/ #'s

I Have an 2000 Galant I-4 Auto with 64K,
    From now on I will be updating this page with the whole turbo process which im going to go threw, from equipment bought to the install period and any problems I face with this kit, since I havnt seen one I-4 with this Kit on TGC..I guess it can be the same thing like jets blacks write up except mines not a custom build. I should receive the kit by January 6th but I will gather all the parts before then so it can get dropped at the shop..I'll get as many pics when they install/tune the car. Any suggestions on parts advice is welcome and appreciated.Prices will be updated based on deals, I know every one is down to save few bucks right?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    * Means i bought the part already...
    Turbo (TearStone)

*Budget Front Mount Intercooler, T3/04e Turbo Kit w/Fuel system $2599.00+$125 ship

2001+MIDPIPE (Need this if u got under 01) 199.00 TearStone

Gauges/Tune:

*Greddy- EGT -P/H/W- 60mm- Elec Part#16000804 $172.00Shipped injectedperformance
    *Greddy-Mechanical Boost - 60mm Part#16000212 $85.40 Shipped *AEM UEGO WIDEBAND Part#30-4100 $250.00
    TOTAL:$500.00 GReat Company!!!! Saved me $$$

GREDDY Turbo TIMER Part#15500020 $80.00 TearStone

*GREDDY EMANGE BLUE Part#15500500: $290 Shiped ImportCarPlus
    *Greddy Blue Ignition Harness Part#15900902 $33 Shipped ImportCarPlus
    *Greddy Blue Injector Harness Part#15900901 $30 Shipped ImportCarPlus

AFPR
    *Aeromotive AFPR A1000 -6 30 to 70 PSI
    Part Number # 027-13109

*B&M Fuel Pressure Gauge
    Part Number # 130-46054

+9.99 Handeling Charge free shiping 1-2 Days
    $174.97 JEGS.com

*Fuel Rail with -6 inlet and SS lines
    CLub3g seller

*Walbro fuel pump
    Injected proformance

*NGK colder Plugs (10)
    Part#BKR7E

R/C O-Ringd for injector

TRANSMISSION
    *Tranny Cooler-Flex-a-liteĀ®- Part# 12A $75.95 RipMods
    This is Very Cruital for an AutoTranny when u have so much heat,you can also pick this up from pepboys/autozone from what i been told.

PS: Some of this stuff u can find on ebay and save 15-30$,So u can search that also, i rather buy everything from an company just my personal opinion

Reference:
    www.TearStone.com
    www.Rippmods.com
    www.Club3g.com
    www.Greddy.com
    www.injectedperformance.com
    *ImportcarPlus serch for her on TGC/Club3g

Do It Your Self Installs

Here is a Great example of the install of a Emange so you get a idea if your going to do it your self.I got permission from "Napalm" to use his write-up. I add'ed Few more of "Napalms" write-ups.
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27116

Install a Turbo Timer (Greddy) This is for Eclipse but You can get an Idea, atleast you know what the turbo timer should hook up to, of course we might have different locations or colors, but the timer is the same one i listed above.
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5667

Other Valable Info

How turbo work basic info..Good basic knowledge
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

Choosing the right spark plug for FI applications:
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32577

Fuel Injector Information:
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27795

FYI - old install instruction for the then AAI (now Tearstone) I4 kit:
    http://www.modernmustangs-memphis.org/Hold.../AAIInstall.doc

What you posted Pinoy,thats for the Ehchanced kit correct?
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Experienced TGC Member
    AWSOME thread bro. Good luck, and cant wait to see the results.

Tearstone
    You can go to your local Autozone, O'Reilies or Pep Boys to pick up a performance transmission cooler for cheap. That's why I don't carry those because they are readily available in those places. To me that's like carrying Mobile 10W-30 on my website LOL.

good luck
    Accident. Deemed Unfixable. Got a check for it.

Quote Originally Posted by IceDouTGaLanT
    What you posted Pinoy,thats for the Ehchanced kit correct?
    I believe they are for the enhanced kit - much of it should be pretty close, though.

-Update-12/12
    Since the high heat with the setup,i dont think my regular quaker state wont holdup , so im moveing onto this....You think the 5w-30 would be good for an I-4,from reading i think it seems fine, but not an oil guy..

SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil: (12) 1 quart bottles $75.00

AMSOIL Preferred Customers save money -- about 25% off Retail Prices -- on AMSOIL Products.

I am going to do this, $10 for a 6-month trial membership, unless somebody close to DE wants to go half with me and put up $10 also and we can have an 1 year membership? That way we save 25% of the oil and I can ship em out to you if you like? of course u pay actual shipping.
    13 GTR

i'm not trying to be a dick here, but...

600 dollars in gauges what a waste.

could have gotten all autometer eletronic full sweep off ebay for around 250 easy. not that anyone really needs an electronic boost gauge. and why do you need a fancy smancy electronic fuel pressure gauge. thats a terrible waste of dough.

that 350 to 400 dollars you could have used and gotten emanage ultimate and run speed density w/ no mas. plus be able to actually USE your wideband for closed loop wide open throttle(target a/f auto tune)
    then your boost / vac data woudl be elctronic cause you would be able to view the readings from the speed density map sensor. you would also be able to vent your bov to the atmosphere w/o screwing up your air fuel ratio.
    you would have much much better tuning and performance capabilites with that setup.

not to mention you coudl get a midpipe made at an exhaust shop for under 100 bucks.

does the tearstone kit come w/ an adjustable fpr?

just some thoughts. trying to get you A WHOLE LOT MORE BANG for your buck. fine if you want to support vendors, but don't go wasting your money on something just cause it says greddy on it.

my humble opinions anyways. why would anyone want to listen to me?
    good luck with it anyways. tearstone seems to put together deent kit

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    well said. i say ditch all the greddy stuff. autometer EGT + mechanical boost will run you $200 flat on ebay. stick with the wideband, good call on that one. why do you need a fuel pressure gauge in the cabin? because you dont.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

thanks for the input, i choice greddy, becasue i asked shops which are gona install it over here and they said autometer is okay, but greddy is built better so i took thier word,i rather spend few bucks now then later on it brakes and waste more money on replaceing it..but if u honestly think that greddy and autometer is no diffence except the logo on it then ill take ur word,since ur boosted,the fuel pressure, the maker Donny i balive said i needed this,so i was going to get,i have no clue why maybe tearstone can answer that?but thanks for the input,the stuff above i havnt bught anything except the kit,and soon the aem ugeo since its an GB price,everything else im getting ready to buy..But i looke don ebay i cant find thhose guages under 250? could u show me a link to one? thanks alot for ur help,this is why i wanted to start this thread so i can get input from people like you,and not just vendors,installers and people who i know.
    -ron
    13 GTR

greddy gauges are made at a higher calibur than autometer in most of autometer's line. however i haven't personally heard of one breaking. but if that were, you could buy 2 autometer gauges before you were to the cost of a greddy. i doubt that that wil be the case however as it is unlikely that the first would even break. its your project so don't let me discourage or sway you. your car your choice man. i was simply trying to illustrate how that money could be more effectively spent. there are a few things i wish i had done a little bit different ly the first time around. which would have yeilded more, for less. so i thought i'd throw that at you.

as for the fuel pressure..
    you really only need a fuel pressure gauge under the hood. that way you can set your base fuel pressure. now, with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, for every extra psi of boost you will get 1 extra psi of fuel pressure. that means that fuel is added at a 1:1 ratio to boost. the key is that if you know you are running at 8 psi, then if your base fuel pressure is 42 psi then at 8 psi of boost, you are going to hit 50 psi of fuel pressure. every single time.
    so there is really no need to buy an expensiv cockpit mounted fuel pressure gauge. me and 90% of the people out there mount their gauge on the fuel pressure regulator. most adjustable fuel pressure regulators come w/ the gauge.

once again you really don't need an electronic boost gauge cause its a waste of dough. and its very very easy to install. in fact, no harder than the electronic. you can get those in whatever style you like for around 40-50 bucks. assuming you aren't buiying indiglo or other fancy gauges.

egt is an important gauge however.
    i run an autometer phantom egt. full sweep electric i got mine for 120 on ebay. best price i found.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I talked to "russ" from tearstone he stated;

If you purchased an electric fuel pressure, then you would be okay,Running a fuel pressure in the cabin is important if your running a pressure based method of tuning
    13 GTR

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Well theres no need to run an expensive electric fuel pressure regulator. Just grab the Aeromotive AFPR and a B&M fp guage to mount on it
    7g for life!

Tearstone
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well theres no need to run an expensive electric fuel pressure regulator. Just grab the Aeromotive AFPR and a B&M fp guage to mount on it</div>

Electric fuel pressure regulator, I've never heard of such a beast.

I think Iced Out galant is asking about a gauge to monitor fuel pressure (an electric one) inside the cabin of his car. There is nothing wrong with that, especially if you are using fuel pressure method of tuning.

A fuel pressure regulator is an entirely differnet animal. You have 1:1 FPRs that just adjust your base fuel pressure regulator and add one pound of pressure for every pound of boost.

Then there are FMUs which do not maintain a base fuel pressure but they multiply the amount of pressure depending what disc you are running i.e. 4:1, 6:1, 12:1 etc, but are not very good to run in high boost situations since the amount of pressure and stress your putting on those injectors is not a good idea. Do yourself a favor, buy bigger injectors and a good driver like an e-manage to make them more effective.

S-FMUs same as a FMU but you are adjustable.

Just my .02.

maybe you should understand what each component does before you go out and buy everything

1994 Galant GS 5spd

i did reserech what each part does that i listed,i mean thats how i found out what i needed,i dont know everything bout it like u do,i just entered the FI world so im still new,most the stuff i read or hear from people who are boosted.im just gona go wit the greddy since it seems to have more options then the autometer phantom series,a good friend of mine also stated this.

"either is fine, however
    with greddy you aren't only paying for the name, you are paying for better gauges, they have a warning light, and they hold "peak values" if you set them to do so..so say your fuel pressure dropped below 20psi which is bad, it would turn the light on.. and i think they sound alarm too
    so you would instantly know something was wrong"
    13 GTR

FYI, the "recommended" gauges for the Tearstone kits are boost, EGT, and fuel pressure, according to the actual builder of the kit.

Currently I'm going to run boost and wideband A/F from Zeitronix ZT-2 and EGT, fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp via Defi Display. If I were to do it again, I would just have the Zeitronix ZT-2 with boost, A/F and EGT, but I already had the EGT from Defi. Admittedly not the cheaper setup, but the advantage of both the Defi Display and the Zeitronix is everything is in one compact package and I don't have a ton of gauges everywhere.

Defi Display:

Zeitronix ZT-2:

all this talk about fuel pressure gauges is confusing. why does everyone think it's so neccesary to have one in the cabin? what are you going to know from it? fuel pressure? so what. unless your fuel line explodes or starts leaking like a bitch (the car isn't going to run after that point anyways) a fuel pressure gauge means nothing. why not get an oil pressure? you're more likely to have oil problems than fuel problems. why not get oil temperature? so your fuel pressure drops below 20? the engine isn't going to like that and you'll be able to tell a lot sooner than looking at a gauge.

does the tearstone kit come with an FPR? if not then you need to get one, and get the fuel gauge that screws into the regulator in the engine bay.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>all this talk about fuel pressure gauges is confusing. why does everyone think it's so neccesary to have one in the cabin? what are you going to know from it? fuel pressure? so what. unless your fuel line explodes or starts leaking like a bitch (the car isn't going to run after that point anyways) a fuel pressure gauge means nothing. why not get an oil pressure? you're more likely to have oil problems than fuel problems. why not get oil temperature? so your fuel pressure drops below 20? the engine isn't going to like that and you'll be able to tell a lot sooner than looking at a gauge.

does the tearstone kit come with an FPR? if not then you need to get one, and get the fuel gauge that screws into the regulator in the engine bay.</div>

Honestly, I would agree with you on not needing the fuel pressure gauge, but I already have it so its going in dammit . Anyway, as far as I know, the Tearsone kit for the I4 uses the stock FPR (as well as the V6 kit). From what I was recall, an aftermarket FPR would not be needed unless boosting past the set PSI of the kits.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast