The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Check engine light on CEL

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Check engine light on CEL

Hi! I need help here please. My cars timing belt snapped while driving, and the mech changed the timing belt. car runs ok. I drove home with no probs. then the next day while checking and wiping the engine with the grease left off by the mechanic, I think I accidentally hit the wire of the coolant sensor. from then on I have a CEL 1 minute after starting it lights up! So I decided to change the sensor and the temp send out anyway, thinking that it maybe the cause of CEL. But still there is still CEL !! and I notice that my fan continously runs without shutting off on AC. I checked some threads here on what causes CEL. some says it was the O2 sensor. some says its the TPS. now Im confused. do you think the CEL is caused also by the timing belt that I changed? or is it just the coolant sensor?but why is it, after changing it(sensor) CEL still lights up. anyway. where can I find the O2 sensor? i dont think my car has it. and also this are the things that i've done:
    1. changed the coolant sensor and temperature send out
    2. cleaned throttle body
    3. tighten belts and cleaned the alternator terminals(thinking that it must be the alternator)
    4. Reset the computer by taking off negative terminal
    5. checked the EGR (and found out that it has blocked off plate, I dont think this is the problem coz I've been driving for years and no CEL)

with all these the CEL still lights up. anymore things to check that causes CEL? please help.... Anyway I have a 1994 Galant EFI 2.0. thanks
    Last edited by stormbringer; 07-26-2009 at 08:56 PM

Damn, 94 with 2.0L and EGR block-off, I havent heard of these before. Are you in the United States? I see it says San Francisco, but just to ask again. From all info you gave us it seems like it is an Euro Galant.

You cant shoot in random directions. When you have a CEL that means that you dont change everything that seems to be old and dirty, but the CEL means something very particular has gone bad.

NOw read here:

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    This is the way i do it.

I get a paper clip and then straighten it. One end goes in the pin one on the OBD2 plug, the other end goes to ground by any means necessary. The CEL is gonna turn off for a moment then it gona start flashing quickly with short pauses - you count the flashes /record that number/. Then the CEL will turn off for little longer, and it will start flashing again - record the number again.

Ex.: if your first count was 2, then longer pause then second count was 5 then your code is 25.

now this is the hard part - you have to pay close attention. If you ahve more than one code - it will pause between the codes, and the pause time is the same as the time between the two numbers. you can catch that because there are no 3 digit error codes.

or go here and follow the second picture

http://www.troublecodes.net/mitsu/
    Use the second picture with the big plug for 94-95 Diamante
    Last edited by mko; 07-26-2009 at 09:19 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Icon10

SF thats where I came from LOL my bad. I m here in the philippines right now. bought the car here. based on the pics that I search for the location of the EGR I found nothing except for the plate that was supposed to be in the place of the EGR. and I cant see any catalytic conv too under the car they said that the O2 sensor as some say was there before the cat. anyway i will try to check the OBD. thanks for your reply hope I can get this one right

yeah man get the light read first before changing anything, you might cause unrelated problems or get worse

I fixed it!!! I bought a defective coolant sensor, who would have thought that it is defective? its brand new! after doing all the things of what causes a CEL, I went back to the 1st step, I took my risk of buying a new coolant sensor from a different auto parts store, and Voila!!! it works all the symptoms are gone! this tiny little culprit drove me nuts! it took me almost a month searching how to wipe out that CEL. but thanks for you guys for support and its really a great help from you. ! thanks again!!

huh, you from daly city