The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OMFG!!!!!! I could've been killed!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 42
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MBowen574)</div><div class='quotemain'>crap... this means even the recall-fixed ones are susceptible?

my dad keeps trying to get me to sell this car... maybe he has a point </div>

the recall was like this..

if the joints had more than .2 mm of movement, they got replaced.
    if they didnt, they got resealed as the main reason for failure was water intrusion.

he made it 50000 miles past the recall, which obviously didnt cut it. But he should have had the obvious noises check out long, long ago, too. Recall or not, a person is not suppost to keep driving cars that have obvious problems.

Well, see, there WASN'T a problem. Like I said, I never ever heard any noises. I didn't know anything about the control arm until the guy at the inspection place said I should replace it soon. Then, when I slammed into the curb that one time, that probably made matters worse, and it was only a matter of time until it gave way. Like I said, though, there never was any actual PROBLEMS or noises, or anything of the sort.

Either way, I'm not going to file a case against Mitsubishi for something that costed me $100 to fix and a day in the cold weather. Probably more of a hassle than it's worth.

Thank you for the help though, guys. Appreciated.

BMW owner. Galant fanatic.

http://www.video.3x00.com/chirs_pwn3d.wmv

Check that shit out

As we come under the bridge and begin turning, listen to the sound. It sounds like a tin can popping on computer speakers, but in real life it sounded like the frickin' devil. That's my control arm breaking...

Then, as we get onto the other road, you can't really tell, but my steering wheel starts vibrating like nuts, until the wheel finally lets go and turns all the way to the left, and I come to a skidding halt.

All is fixed now, though.

ouch......

hate that man. glad everything is back to normal!

hope i never have to hear that sound, especially with me putting so many highway miles on my car... :? :shock:

<span style="color:#000000">1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES Premium</span>

I can guarantee it won't be the highway miles. It's the pot holes, sharp turns and from-stop accelleration that probably wears out that part the most. When you're on the highway, the control arm doesn't move around that much.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NiTrOuSoXiDe)</div><div class='quotemain'>I can guarantee it won't be the highway miles. Â*It's the pot holes, sharp turns and from-stop accelleration that probably wears out that part the most. Â*When you're on the highway, the control arm doesn't move around that much.</div>

not particularly good to know as my G sees plenty of all that... i really just meant i hope it doesnt break on the highway. ive read reports of Galants breaking at 40, 50, 60 mpg and skidding to a halt, with one or both front wheels detaching! :!:

I remember a friend of mine, who has an Elclipse, saying something about his wheel "falling off while he was driving" long ago. I'll have to ask him what that was all about. Maybe it's a Mitsubishi thing.

Any reports of this being an occurance with the 8G's?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MBowen574)</div><div class='quotemain'>crap... this means even the recall-fixed ones are susceptible?

my dad keeps trying to get me to sell this car... maybe he has a point </div>

Even the best quality aftermarket (or factory) parts are susceptible to breaking.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NiTrOuSoXiDe)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well, see, there WASN'T a problem. Â*Like I said, I never ever heard any noises. Â*I didn't know anything about the control arm until the guy at the inspection place said I should replace it soon. Â*Then, when I slammed into the curb that one time, that probably made matters worse, and it was only a matter of time until it gave way. Â*Like I said, though, there never was any actual PROBLEMS or noises, or anything of the sort.</div>

If the bushing on the control arm or the balljoint was torn out or worn it should have been replaced then. There was a problem but it was ignored.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NiTrOuSoXiDe)</div><div class='quotemain'>I can guarantee it won't be the highway miles. Â*It's the pot holes, sharp turns and from-stop accelleration that probably wears out that part the most. Â*When you're on the highway, the control arm doesn't move around that much.</div>

Actually you'd be surprised to find how just how much they can move. On another note I hope you got the vehicle realiged after you fixed it. Also glad to hear nothing worse happened.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MBowen574)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    not particularly good to know as my G sees plenty of all that... i really just meant i hope it doesnt break on the highway. ive read reports of Galants breaking at 40, 50, 60 mpg and skidding to a halt, with one or both front wheels detaching! Â*:!:</div>

Happens on every make of vehicle.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NiTrOuSoXiDe)</div><div class='quotemain'>I remember a friend of mine, who has an Elclipse, saying something about his wheel "falling off while he was driving" long ago. Â*I'll have to ask him what that was all about. Â*Maybe it's a Mitsubishi thing.

Any reports of this being an occurance with the 8G's?</div>

Its not just a "Mitsubishi Thing". I've seen cars from such makes as Chrysler, Ford, Audi, GM, Honda, etc etc....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NiTrOuSoXiDe)</div><div class='quotemain'>I remember a friend of mine, who has an Elclipse, saying something about his wheel "falling off while he was driving" long ago. Â*I'll have to ask him what that was all about. Â*Maybe it's a Mitsubishi thing.</div>

ARRGGG!!

there was a RECALL for this very issue. It affected only the 94 to 98 galant, and the 95 to 99 eclipse.
    all owners were notified. Some chose to ignore the recall. some were recalled and fixed to the standards required by the recall, but wasnt enough to last forever. Your car WAS making noise, no doubt about it, and it should have had the arms replaced.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
    completely different suspension system.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Quote: Â*

completely different suspension system.</div>

Good! I plan on 8 G'ing myself by next summer, so hopefully this won't be an issue on my mind.

I appreciate the help guys. Thank you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NiTrOuSoXiDe)</div><div class='quotemain'>I remember a friend of mine, who has an Elclipse, saying something about his wheel "falling off while he was driving" long ago. Â*I'll have to ask him what that was all about. Â*Maybe it's a Mitsubishi thing.</div>

ARRGGG!!

there was a RECALL for this very issue. It affected only the 94 to 98 galant, and the 95 to 99 eclipse.
    all owners were notified. Some chose to ignore the recall. some were recalled and fixed to the standards required by the recall, but wasnt enough to last forever. Your car WAS making noise, no doubt about it, and it should have had the arms replaced.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
    completely different suspension system.</div>

Can we describe this noise by chance? i'm kinda paranoid now... the only thing i can hear are road/wind noise and a slight "thump" at certain speeds, probably to my nearly-bald very abused tires... :?: :!:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MBowen574)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Can we describe this noise by chance? i'm kinda paranoid now... the only thing i can hear are road/wind noise and a slight "thump" at certain speeds, probably to my nearly-bald very abused tires... Â*:?: Â*:!:</div>

"THUD-THUD-BANG-BANG"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    "THUD-THUD-BANG-BANG"</div>

so I take it it's pretty noticeable... good to know. i'm good at hearing problems generally. i try to keep an eye on my car and keep it safe. <knock on wood>

Im getting this very problem fixed right now I have been noticing a noise that feels and sounds like my tire is wobbling and this is after new tires and everything I got a new lateral arm, and compression lower controll arm, and im gonna get a new upper controll arm also for the drivers side (off ebay) gonna redo the passangers side 2 (got a loan from the bank to do fixes on my car, but ran outta money after buying the 2 parts for the lower controll arm, and tripple pillar gauge pod with gauges, and other stuff all of which is stuff to dignose other problems with my car, and other Misc parts) so as soon as I pay off some debt Im gonna go for a whole front end rebuild. by the way where did you get your lower controll arm from I tried auto zone, and napa they were both shocked that they had no info on it at all so thats where research and ebay came in I also have the chilton galant/diamante/mirage 90-00 book, and the other one cant remember the name so I have all the torque specs and everything. Im just gonna rebuild the whole front end if I have to I love my G to death no way ill get rid of it even if I have to garage it for a couple years and get another car to take me arround for a while. As you may be able to tell by the name im planning on getting an evo IX soon, and buyin my gf a 06 eclipse so... <that had nothing to do with anything but oh well.
    My son was born!!! 4/18/06
    Easton
    Vya
    Ornelas

j686m
    Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    Quote Originally Posted by MBowen574
    Can we describe this noise by chance? i'm kinda paranoid now... the only thing i can hear are road/wind noise and a slight "thump" at certain speeds, probably to my nearly-bald very abused tires... :?: :!:
    "THUD-THUD-BANG-BANG"
    manbrews is right, any clunk or thud of anykind should be checked on as soon as possible by competent shop or experienced technition. a suspension failure can be deadly

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mitsubishi_Lover)</div><div class='quotemain'>Im getting this very problem fixed right now I have been noticing a noise that feels and sounds like my tire is wobbling and this is after new tires and everything I.</div>

Did replacing the lateral arms fix the wobbling feel/sound? im having the same probblem with my galant at the moment. its driving me nuts... feels like the tyres are out of balance, but have only just been balanced etc. I get the wobble/shaking (no clunking) under accelleration and cruising on the freeway, (120 KMPH) its intermitant tho.
    Mikey

Actually it didnt, but I think it was the passengers side that is wobbling so I will need to replace that also. I was going to tell you all that I wouldnt be on for a while, but looks like I will... Went to the mitsubishi dealership on thursday, and bought a 05' Lancer, but looks like I couldnt be financed for it so I got me a 02' galant (which would have been my first choice, but they didnt have it on thursday.) so looks like ill be checkin both. The only problem is with my baby coming soon I wont be workin on my 7th gen till after the baby is born (Due May 11th) so maybe not till about june or july.
    My son was born!!! 4/18/06
    Easton
    Vya
    Ornelas

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Dudes, just buy the part and replace it yourselves, its easier than making chocolate cake. Besides that any noise of any kind coming from the wheel is a bad sign. (Creeking, squeaking,popping,pulling to one side, or anything out of the ordinary should be looked into).

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Galant98ES
    Kinda older topic, but I'ma add something too.
    I have a 98 *G* ES factory 5spd manual and my lower control arm went out. Good thing i noticed it on time because it started making noise and the steering wheel would vibrate when you use brakes. The ball joint almost fell out, only thing it was holding it was the rubber seal around it. I replaced that, but recently I'm starting to hear similar noise again. Could it be that one of the axels got damanged?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast