The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: $650 to change a timing belt!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27
    01galant4me

$650 to change a timing belt!!

My car is at the dealer this moment undergoing the 60k service. The service writer recommends the timing belt replacement and tensioners for $650. :shock:

Mitsu uses a belt for timing? Is this the norm for Japanese cars? What happened to using a nice metal chain?

He said while they're in there, I should do the water pump for another $250.

This $360 service is now costing me over $1,200. This I don't need with Christmas two weeks away.

I know I can get it done cheaper at an independent shop, but I don't know of any trusted shops as I always goto the dealer. I can probably do it myself, but it's thirty degrees outside, and I have no manual.

Sorry for the long post--I just needed to vent before I said goodbye my money.

damn that blows

Back in the Family!!

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Sorry to here that but it is true cost. The dealer in Buffalo wanted $500 without the water pump and it'll be another $200 with the pump. I got a quote from another dealer for $300 if I bring the parts myself and they'll warrantee the work for 1 year.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    DOes the $650 include labor? Water pump only costs $100 from mitsu and its just a matter of removing like 8 bolts once everything is apart that is needed to replacet he belt and tensioners.

Shouldnt cost more then $300-400 for belt and tensioners, but you should be able to get it done for $700-800 at local shops, just be careful on which one you choose.

O, btw 4cyl or v6?
    7g for life!

01galant4me
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    DOes the $650 include labor? Water pump only costs $100 from mitsu and its just a matter of removing like 8 bolts once everything is apart that is needed to replacet he belt and tensioners.

Shouldnt cost more then $300-400 for belt and tensioners, but you should be able to get it done for $700-800 at local shops, just be careful on which one you choose.

O, btw 4cyl or v6?
    The $650 is for parts and labor for timing belt r & r, seals, and tensioner.

Yeah I'll just bite the bullet and have them do it.

Thank god I got a little Christmas bonus this year.

other recommend services...

The service writer wants $195 for induction service. Isn't that just a can of BG44k into the gas tank?

$150 to flush brake fluid? I'm really glad i invested $40 and bought a Motive power bleeder.

650 sounds right for this area. i was just talking with another member about the same thing the other day.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Experienced TGC Member
    1,600 for V6.

And only Japanese car I know that uses a chain is a Celica.

You should shop around - One dealer wanted $800 just for the timing belt - I got timing belt, water pump, and a couple of other things for $650 at another dealer. Thats for a V6 BTW.

if your still under a warranty make a claim for the water pump and while there in there just get the timing belt done.. thats what the service guy at my local mitsu dealership told me to do.. he quoted me around 300 bucks to get both done.. =O

theblackpearl
    i did mine myself..now my car is fucked up...wooohooo

My dealer quoted me 600.00 for the V6 belt change and another 150 to change the water pump. 750.00 out the door.
    Love,
    Matt

Holy shit I didn't realize it cost so much for a timing belt.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Changing a timing belt takes a bit of time.....its nothing near like chaning an oil filter. Price sounds about right...labor will kill you though and its varies depending on the shop. Some shops charge different labor rates so prices vary. You can think of this in another way...$650 for proper maintanance to your motor...or $1000+ replacing a whole new motor.

I don't think there is a timing chain driven motor for Mitsubishi.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

can someone tell me every piece exactly that is required in the 60k service, what pieces, gaskets etc?

I am about to have my 60k service done in the next month or so. I know i can get some parts alot cheaper then the dealer, like the ignition cables i got for 41 compared to 71, OEM parts too.

Thanks,
    2002 Galant ES - I4, Viynl Interior by P
    Pioneer AVH-P5700 DVD, RF P4004, RF P8002, 2-Infinity 12" Perfect 12.1DV Subs
    Lightning Audio Digital Capacitor
    Infinity Speakers,GTZ Spoiler, Ractive E-brake, Chrome Door Handles, CF Armrest
    Freedom Design Strut Bar, Cleared Corners
    KUMHO 711 Tires, CF Interior Trim

everything that is recommended by the manufacturer for the 60k is stated in the warranty book that came with the car. a bunch of the stuff on there says check this and check that so you might not need parts or you might need parts depending on what you see when you check the various components. you might also want to contact the dealer and a few outside shops to see what they include in their 60k serivce so you can get an idea of what else could possibly be done.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

thanks, for sure i am going for the tranny fluid change, radiator fluid change, water pump and time belt change, i've done the oil, plugs and wires myself.
    2002 Galant ES - I4, Viynl Interior by P
    Pioneer AVH-P5700 DVD, RF P4004, RF P8002, 2-Infinity 12" Perfect 12.1DV Subs
    Lightning Audio Digital Capacitor
    Infinity Speakers,GTZ Spoiler, Ractive E-brake, Chrome Door Handles, CF Armrest
    Freedom Design Strut Bar, Cleared Corners
    KUMHO 711 Tires, CF Interior Trim

i paid $1200 for timing belt, water pump plugs wires and dist. cap. now i need my transmission flushed.
    SportBike Powder Coating
    "Not Just Bikes"

[email protected]
    Photos
    http://www.photobucket.com/sportbikepowdrcoating

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theblackpearl)</div><div class='quotemain'>i did mine myself..now my car is fucked up...wooohooo</div>

LOL! Just pay the man.. sooner or later.. you WILL pay!
    2005 TGC Fantasy Football Champ III
    http://www.Gencoupe.com/garage/3337

I have a coupon for a local dealer for the timing belt change for $325, after tensioners, idlers, seals, water pump, and an A/T control relay and the rest of the 60K maintenance I was charged $825...after I puked and had many drinks I didnt feel to bad since the maintenance is required...but now my chit squeels like a virgin at a frat party when I start it during cooler outside temps :?
    Guidelines for Republicans: 1. When in charge, ponder. 2. When in trouble, delegate. 3. When in doubt, mumble.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet Black)</div><div class='quotemain'>And only Japanese car I know that uses a chain is a Celica.</div>
    All Suzuki vehicles use a timing chain instead of belt. Ask the salesmen, they are all trained verbatim to tell the customer the many many advantages of chain over belt.

Even when you're asking about, say, the A/C controls. "Oh, the A/C in this car is driven directly by the timing chain that wraps itself around the compressor 42 times. That's because chain never, ever wears out, ever. The car will destroy itself around the chain and the chain will fall to the ground."
    Eclipse
    --
    1994 Diamante LS - 220K+
    2003 Galant ES - 90K+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast