The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: $650 to change a timing belt!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 27 of 27
    midwestgalant
    awww you dont need it changed, lol i have 112k on mine and it runs great, i just changed my oil like a weekago from the last time i changed it which was jan last year. my car runs great except my exhaust is rusting away but i got the parts for that coming off of ebay new cat and muffler plus all new piping

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(midwestgalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>awww you dont need it changed, lol i have 112k on mine and it runs great, i just changed my oil like a weekago from the last time i changed it which was jan last year. Â*my car runs great except my exhaust is rusting away but i got the parts for that coming off of ebay new cat and muffler plus all new piping</div>
    Better safe then sorry. Id rather spend $300-400 replacing the belt and tensioners myself then keep on driving it and have to replace the valves, guides, possibly pistons, timing belt, and tensioners a year or so later. Take your upper timing belt cover off, check the condition of the belt. If your going on 112k on the original belt, its only a matter of time before it snaps on you.
    7g for life!

I changed mine at 133K miles and would not suggest that ANYONE risk waiting that long. If you have 112K miles, either replace it yourself, or pay the dealer... just get it done.

Cost me less than $100 with new drive belts and all, and took about an afternoon (3-5 hours).

I surely paid the price.
    Pearl White 2001 Mitsubishi Galant ES
    Injen Race Division CAI System
    Denso Iridium Spark Plugs
    Magnecor Ignition Wires
    Showoff Krypton Series Xenon Headlight Bulbs (H4)
    Showoff Krypton Series Xenon Fog Light Bulbs (893)
    Clear Corner Lights w/ PIAA Xtreme White Bulbs (1157)
    Reverse Indiglo Gauges
    Kenwood KDC-MP522 MP3/CD Receiver
    Infinity Kappa 652.5i 6.75" Door Speakers
    Kicker K693 6x9 Rear Speakers
    Brembo Cross-Drilled/Slotted Disc Brakes
    Axxis High Performance Brake Pads

i paid $1100 for my 60k service... timing belt, drive belts, and other stuff that is included in the 60k service....

theblackpearl
    my shits coooooooooo now.. 8)

knock on wood...

Tearstone
    Damn I had no idea it costs this much to do the timing belt. I only charge members $120 to do their timing belt here. Luckily on the V6 you can go to 100K without changing out the timing belt. Mitsu did some weird shit when they went into the 2003 models and recommended a different maintenance schedule with the same part # timing belt. WTF was that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12