The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Intercooler Questions

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Intercooler Questions

what are u guys doing about an intercooler. what should i do about piping will anything fit perfectly or will i have to do something custom? does any kind mount perfectly?
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    www.johnnyracecar.com has some cheap FMICs. Have to make your own piping which isnt hard.
    7g for life!

does it have to be mandrel bent?
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    i made my intercooler piping by ordering exhaust bends and straight pipe. got a good fmic on ebay
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    My suggestion is to choose a FMIC that you want to use. Depending on the intercooler and endtanks you can start planning out intercooler piping routing.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Yes the pipe route DEPENDS on the type of intercooler, side to side or both inlet/outlet on one side.

My piping for my side to side FMIC:
    http://www.iamsethmo.com/Pics/Engine%20Swa.../FMIC%20Piping/

Helps you get an idea of how it should be.
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    thanks for the pics,seth. i know it will help me a lot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>thanks for the pics,seth. Â*i know it will help me a lot.</div>check your pm's

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

im making my own ic piping put of 1/8" thick aluminum piping. i was going to buy them, but looking around all the kits were made out of very thin stuff and i never found anything specific for the 7g galant. so i am just going to make the stuff. i have a mendrel bender at home as well as a mig, tig, and stick welder so i can do it myself, plus i can weld the flange for the bov instead of buying the adapter shit. my suggestion to you is to just make the stuff out of exhaust pipe or something. its easy to bend and to weld(if u know someone that welds). most kits are a rip-off. hope this helps.

Proto
    why are you bringing back old threads from over a year ago?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    at least its good info :smt102

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ct96mitsug
    im making my own ic piping put of 1/8" thick aluminum piping. i was going to buy them, but looking around all the kits were made out of very thin stuff and i never found anything specific for the 7g galant. so i am just going to make the stuff. i have a mendrel bender at home as well as a mig, tig, and stick welder so i can do it myself, plus i can weld the flange for the bov instead of buying the adapter shit. my suggestion to you is to just make the stuff out of exhaust pipe or something. its easy to bend and to weld(if u know someone that welds). most kits are a rip-off. hope this helps.
    Most of us can't afford a real mandrel bender for home usage. Though I do agree with fabbing up the stuff yourself. You can buy cheap mandrel bent steel from here:
    http://store.racing-solutions.org/

Also you will need a good cutting tool. And I'm not talking about a dremel. With a good cutting tool and a bunch of mandrel bends you can fab your whole IC system...shit you can even make your own turbo manifold.

Also as far as intercoolers are concerned, I got mine from Johnnyracecar. It was a great deal, but he hasn't made intercoolers in over a year.

Go to ebay. Damn near anything on ebay will work fine. There are multiple threads on DSMtuners regarding Ebay FMICs. A lot of people have had success with them (...its not all that difficult to fab an FMIC if you tig weld...).