The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 94 GS DOHC injector size and ECU questions.

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    NTnoob

94 GS DOHC injector size and ECU questions.

I am doing a 2.4L swap into my 1994 Eagle Talon ES (non-turbo), using a 2.4L 4G64 bottom end with Galant GS DOHC pistons and a milled 1.8L DOHC hyundai head (42cc vs. 47cc for a DOHC DSM head). The milling will drop it another cc or two, giving 40ish cc's of combustion chamber volume. This combo yields around 11.5:1 compression.

I have a 1994 DOHC Galant GS ECU on the way, and I would like to know if it is going to plug into my current plugs, or if I am going to have to do some hacking. The ECU plugs on the non-turbo DSM's are the exact same as the turbo DSM's, only short a few wires (knock sensor, maf reset, etc...).

The reason I would like to use the Galant DOHC ECU, is that it has knock sensor circuitry, which my non-turbo ECU lacks, plus it is calibrated to more closely match the type of engine I am building (albeit for a little lower compression). Fine tuning will be acomplished by a DSM MAF translator.

Additionally, I need to know what size injectors the Galant ECU is calibrated for, so that I can get a set of them to be installed at the same time.

I know I'm not exactly a Galant owner, but I appreciate your input all the same. Cant wait to see what kind of bump in power I will get from going from a lousy 9.0:1 2.0L, to a 11.5:1 2.4L.

Thanks,
    -Rob

Re: 94 GS DOHC injector size and ECU questions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NTnoob)</div><div class='quotemain'>I am doing a 2.4L swap into my 1994 Eagle Talon ES (non-turbo), using a 2.4L 4G64 bottom end with Galant GS DOHC pistons and a milled 1.8L DOHC hyundai head (42cc vs. 47cc for a DOHC DSM head). The milling will drop it another cc or two, giving 40ish cc's of combustion chamber volume. This combo yields around 11.5:1 compression. Â*

I have a 1994 DOHC Galant GS ECU on the way, and I would like to know if it is going to plug into my current plugs, or if I am going to have to do some hacking. The ECU plugs on the non-turbo DSM's are the exact same as the turbo DSM's, only short a few wires (knock sensor, maf reset, etc...).

The reason I would like to use the Galant DOHC ECU, is that it has knock sensor circuitry, which my non-turbo ECU lacks, plus it is calibrated to more closely match the type of engine I am building (albeit for a little lower compression). Fine tuning will be acomplished by a DSM MAF translator. Â*

Additionally, I need to know what size injectors the Galant ECU is calibrated for, so that I can get a set of them to be installed at the same time.

I know I'm not exactly a Galant owner, but I appreciate your input all the same. Cant wait to see what kind of bump in power I will get from going from a lousy 9.0:1 2.0L, to a 11.5:1 2.4L.

Thanks,
    -Rob</div>since there is already a vehicle wiring harness that will fit the motor you are buildig, and an ecu w/ knock sensors....

save yourself a TON of trouble and just get a wiring harness from a 91-94 eclipse turbo. or use your current harness and add the couple of extra wires.
    run an eclipse ecu
    don't run the 94 gs ecu. the connectors are a totally different shape so you will have to rewire every single pin on the ecu. also i don't think it will be compadable with your reed switch style speed sensor.

you can get a 1g EPROM ecu and get jeff O. at dsmchips to burn you a chip designed for your airflow and timing characteristics, as well as your chosen injector size too. then tuning will be very minimal.
    he can also incorporate other wonderful features like launch control, windowed nitrous activation, recalibrate it for your maft-pro.

that would be the most simple and effective route.
    the injectors on the GS are identical to the injectors that are currently on your motor. 275cc i believe. not much. i have a set taking up space in my garage.

sounds like a beast though. what are your plans for it?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

NTnoob
    First off, thanks for the advice... You are completely right about the ECU, a Turbo ECU will just pop right into my plugs, all I have to add is four wires. I have the faq somewhere, its for people that want to turbo their Non-turbo DSM.... The only reason I was hesitent to run that ECU, is because I found the GS ecu and it seemed to more closely match my setup. I thought it was perfect, till now.

Technically, this is my Girlfriends car and she said no turbo is going in her car because all my other vehicles that have turbos, currently dont run ('95 gsx, Broke my transmission after I ran a 12.21@118, and my '92 Typhoon, which I broke a ring landing in my crappy stock GM rebuild). So she wont let me turbo it... haha... not that 11.5:1 isn't going to break shit... lol. But what she doesn't know wont hurt her. or something.

Anyhow, back on topic here, I have not heard of Jeff O. and how will he be able to burn me a chip without tuning the vehicle? It seems like it would sort of be a hit or miss type of deal. I also assume, you mean for him to burn me a chip into a socketed 1G turbo EPROM ECU (non-turbo's dont come with EPROM's)?

BTW, stock non-turbo injectors are 240cc.. Tiny.

Plans are to hit 200HP with no power additives. I want to be able to keep up with / spank an Integra Type-R and Ill be happy. Right now, Im sitting on a stock 135HP.

-Rob

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NTnoob)</div><div class='quotemain'>First off, thanks for the advice... You are completely right about the ECU, a Turbo ECU will just pop right into my plugs, all I have to add is four wires. I have the faq somewhere, its for people that want to turbo their Non-turbo DSM.... Â*The only reason I was hesitent to run that ECU, is because I found the GS ecu and it seemed to more closely match my setup. I thought it was perfect, till now.

Technically, this is my Girlfriends car and she said no turbo is going in her car because all my other vehicles that have turbos, currently dont run ('95 gsx, Broke my transmission after I ran a 12.21@118, and my '92 Typhoon, which I broke a ring landing in my crappy stock GM rebuild). So she wont let me turbo it... haha... not that 11.5:1 isn't going to break shit... lol. But what she doesn't know wont hurt her. or something.

Anyhow, back on topic here, I have not heard of Jeff O. and how will he be able to burn me a chip without tuning the vehicle? It seems like it would sort of be a hit or miss type of deal. I also assume, you mean for him to burn me a chip into a socketed 1G turbo EPROM ECU (non-turbo's dont come with EPROM's)?

BTW, stock non-turbo injectors are 240cc.. Tiny.

Plans are to hit 200HP with no power additives. I want to be able to keep up with / spank an Integra Type-R and Ill be happy. Right now, Im sitting on a stock 135HP.

-Rob</div>
    it really won't be all that hit and miss.
    since the dsm ecu is knock dependant, it will always run the timing that is as aggressive as possible, w/o exssesive knock.
    so pretty much, since your mas is going to delive the signal for whatever airflow you pull in. all he has to do is assign a certain amount of fuel for that airflow at whatever rpms. yes your power curve will look much different than a f/i curve. he basically gies you a closer map to what you would want. then you fine tune it with your maft or whatever tuning device
    another MASSIVE advantage to the 1g turbo ecu over the galant gs ecu=
    you can datalog w/ the 1g turbo ecu. which for whatever reason cannot be done on the 94-95 galant ecu's
    you can also view knock w/ the 1g logger.
    so there you have it.
    as for more info on the eprom chips
    www.dsmchips.com
    jeff olberhertz or whatever is the owner of the site.
    he does great work. w/o even seeing my setup he made me a chip that runs 550cc injectors at 18psi with zero knock and 0% correction on my safc2. so he knows what he is doing. i'm sure you won't be the first guy to request a chip for a non turbo setup.

good luck

1994 Galant GS-Turbo