The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lots' o'Miles: What Should I Do?

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19
    Virginia (If I showed you where I live, you would think I was hiding)

Lots' o'Miles: What Should I Do?

Okay people, here's the scenario. My current engine has about 95k miles on it with a short ram, performance muffler, and headers. I want more horsies, but my engine has too many miles for a turbo setup. I was wondering, should i stay NA and just do some headwork (maybe dohc swap) and manifold swap or should i invest in an engine with less miles and go turbo? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

To Be Missed....... Otto Racing WAI, K&N Air Filter, Otto Racing Performance Muffler, Header, GReddy Voltage Stabilizer, Strut Bar, APC Aluminum Shifter, Painted Calipers, M3 Mirrors, Optix Headlight Strobes, Audiovox 7.5" DVD Player/Monitor, JVC SD11 Headunit, Pioneer Premier 6x9s, Pioneer Premier 6 1/2s, 12' Rockford Fosgate Punch HX, Lanzar 1200W Amp.

galant_got_speed

Re: Lots' o'Miles: What Should I Do?

Quote Originally Posted by mitsuree8thgen
    Okay people, here's the scenario. My current engine has about 95k miles on it with a short ram, performance muffler, and headers. I want more horsies, but my engine has too many miles for a turbo setup. I was wondering, should i stay NA and just do some headwork (maybe dohc swap) and manifold swap or should i invest in an engine with less miles and go turbo? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    well heres the thing...im in the same boat you are.. i have 88k on my odo and would be pretty hesitant to turbo...BUT...the way i see it is even if ur motor goes u can always reinstall the turbo stuff..so its not like if u turbo this motor and it goes ur SOL on the turbo too...im getting my student loans pretty soon and i might have a couple extra grand in there somewhere and im thinkin of piecing together a turbo kit from the junkyard...for like 2 grand hopefully..that way i havent spent TOO much and still have a nice little boost setup.

I say freshen up your engine and piece together a little boost kit and add some punch...ride the motor till it dies then install the turbo on a new motor...thats just me.

I see what you're saying. That does make sense, but i'm still hesitant. i'm afraid that with even a little bit of boost that the engine is gonna go. And i'm in no position right now to get another engine. What if i replaced all of the seals on the engine and then run a turbo setup? That seems like it should let the engine live longer with this many miles.

To Be Missed....... Otto Racing WAI, K&N Air Filter, Otto Racing Performance Muffler, Header, GReddy Voltage Stabilizer, Strut Bar, APC Aluminum Shifter, Painted Calipers, M3 Mirrors, Optix Headlight Strobes, Audiovox 7.5" DVD Player/Monitor, JVC SD11 Headunit, Pioneer Premier 6x9s, Pioneer Premier 6 1/2s, 12' Rockford Fosgate Punch HX, Lanzar 1200W Amp.

galant_got_speed
    I see what you're saying. That does make sense, but i'm still hesitant. i'm afraid that with even a little bit of boost that the engine is gonna go. And i'm in no position right now to get another engine. What if i replaced all of the seals on the engine and then run a turbo setup? That seems like it should let the engine live longer with this many miles.
    yah thats what im saying, get anything that might be worn or broken fixed FIRST...then run a small turbo kit...like 8 PSI...all im really looking for myself personally...then you should be good to go.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Thats a lot of miles? My car has 77k with an old motor, doing just fine.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by galant_got_speed
    yah thats what im saying, get anything that might be worn or broken fixed FIRST...then run a small turbo kit...like 8 PSI...all im really looking for myself personally...then you should be good to go.
    You don't think 8 psi is a little much? I was thinking a maximum of maybe 5psi should be suitable.

galant_got_speed
    Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    wait...77k miles with an old motor? what does that mean exactly?

galant_got_speed
    You don't think 8 psi is a little much? I was thinking a maximum of maybe 5psi should be suitable.
    i hear our motors can handle 8 safely on stock internals...plus anything lower really isnt worth turboing....

Word. I think i'm gonna go with something like a 16g so if i wanted to i could go to about 10 psi or so after a swap.

galant_got_speed
    Word. I think i'm gonna go with something like a 16g so if i wanted to i could go to about 10 psi or so after a swap.
    yah man...i was thinking of having a speed shop in maine do all the work for me...all the parts + install+tuning= $5000.plus theyd warranty their work! lotta money but itd be damn worth it i bet...now to get my hands on 5g's...

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    wait...77k miles with an old motor? what does that mean exactly?
    My chassis has 77k, have no clue what the motor has. Was tol it has 30-40k but for all I know it could have 150k on it
    7g for life!

Matt had well over 100k before he went turbo right?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Sounds like they on a bad trip of acid J/K but still that is not alot of anything and i think all you guys are buggin.

My G has about 130k on it and im thinking bout boosting the shit out of it till it craps, and im already wild'n out with my 5spd. Wake up and hit this shit im passing to you.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Heads up

Like Ive posted before.

You guys are in an area of uncertainty. How well do you know the condition of your engines?

GalantGo with the 88k posted that he was coming into some money and what to do with it. Some members and myself recommended engine maintenance, just professional maintenance overall.
    The same recommendation comes into play here.
    Have your engine compression tested. head gasket replace with a good new one. How about a new timming belt etc. if you take care of your engine and bring it up to par, it will make your life easier when you boost it.

My opinion:
    Turbocharging an unknown engine with over 80k could equal a money pit.
    I would not do it unless I have that engine checked inside out.
    Just trying to help you enjoy your G.
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    yah man...i was thinking of having a speed shop in maine do all the work for me...all the parts + install+tuning= $5000.plus theyd warranty their work! lotta money but itd be damn worth it i bet...now to get my hands on 5g's...
    wat shop is that?

galant_got_speed
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Serstylz2)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galant_got_speed)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mitsuree8thgen)</div><div class='quotemain'>Word. I think i'm gonna go with something like a 16g so if i wanted to i could go to about 10 psi or so after a swap.</div>

yah man...i was thinking of having a speed shop in maine do all the work for me...all the parts + install+tuning= $5000.plus theyd warranty their work! lotta money but itd be damn worth it i bet...now to get my hands on 5g's...</div>

wat shop is that?</div>

http://www.f1dyno.com/

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    oh in Portland, i went there once w. a member here, friggin closed when i got there tho

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95mitsu03)</div><div class='quotemain'>Matt had well over 100k before he went turbo right?</div>

Yep. I think that 4-Grim was also over the 100k marker too.

ouch!

This just happened to Pinoyesv6

"I broke the timing belt last week on my car.

Went to the shop today to see what exactly went wrong. One of the tensioners locked up, shredded the timing belt, locked up the water pump blah blah blah, all in all, of course my car doesn't run. don't want to think too much about it.

option 1. drop in used/rebuilt motor. price on this will vary. the price of a used motor varies and the price of a rebuilt is 5 grand. then factor in a grand or two for install. keep in mind, if i do get a used motor, i'd still drop some money into it to change things like the timing belt just to cover my ass.

option 2. put on a new timing belt, water pump and everything else i broke in that region for $1200 and pray i didn't bend the valves. if i did bent the valves, another 2500 to fix everything up in that region i broke.

option 3. this will never happen, do a swap (evo motor whatever) or scrap the car and get a new on.

*thinking* i think i know what i'll do but wanted to see everyone's input."

It should give you an idea of how expensive it could get should you guys make the wrong decision.

Dont jump unless you know you've got a parachute
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )