The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lifter tick

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Lifter tick

I seen it somewhere on this forum where to get rid of lifter tick. But i couldnt find it. But as my car grows older, my lifter tick gets louder and louder. And i was wondering what was it i have to do to get rid of the lifter tick without takin them out of the head and cleaning them. This is kinda weird because 2g and 3g eclipse comes with revised lifters that doesnt tick at all. Alot of dsm owners swap those in there head. Should ares even be ticking like this.

Thanks

i got mine changed out under my car's powertrain warranty. so i supposedly have those "revised lifters" you speak of. the ticking went away at first but after a while, and if i don't run amsoil, the ticking comes back. changed the oil with amsoil and it was gone.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

really, all i did was i went to express oil change. i got their $40 engine flush kit done and once that was done, i got synthetic oil put back in. of course i have been running synthetic since i got it with 33,000 mi. on it so it didn't matter much. and for good measure and since i haven't had it done since i had the car, i got a fuel system treatment that adds an additive into the intake manifold and burns out the extra carbon deposits. I try to do one every 15,000 mi. or so. just extra preventative maintenance!
    2001 Mitsu Galant ES 4Cyl.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I had some bad lifter tick. I removed the lifters, soaked them in cleaner, flushed all the old crap out and put them back in and lifter tick is gone. 2gs do not have the revised lifters, just the 3gs. The majority of 1g/2gs have some sort of lifter tick.

Check out the Vfaq www.vfaq.com on how to clean them. They are cake to remove and put back.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    seth, the 3g SOHC motors dont use the same lifters as the 1g and 2g DOHC cars. I think the only galant that has those are the 94 DOHC's. The lifters in the SOHC are tiny, half the size of DSM lifters.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I thought the 3gs had revised lifters?

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/lifters.html

Bottum of page.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    3g eclipse, 2000-2005 have the same lifters as the 8g galant sohc, they are little teeny tiny lifters. half the size of dsm lifters.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have been doing a lot of research change, instead of clean, my lifters. Now, from what I have read, there is a 3rd revision of lifters for our engines (specifically the 8g 4cyl). I have a 2003 4cyl Galant and wanted to know if any of you know if this model comes with the 3rd revision (with the bigger top hole and larger side hole feed). I read the vfaq that seth mentioned "http://www.vfaq.com/mods/lifters.html" and at the bottom says that the 3rd gen was released in 2004, so I'm assuming my Galant does not have them.

Instead of buying the aftermarket alternatives, if I just buy the OEM 2005 eclipse's lifters, should these be the new revised lifters as mentioned above? Or can I go ahead and buy the 2003 Galant's lifters (which might have a part revision now) and expect the new ones? Does anyone have a Mitsu part# of the revised lifters?

Please help!

Any info guys? I really need to buy this today or tomorrow.

Is it that my posts just don't get seen, or are they never listed under "New Posts"?

Ive seen it ... just cant help, sorry. For what its worth I had a lifter tick and after a few different attemps to get rid of it Seafoam finally did the trick. Maybe running the 4 quarts of ATF through it a week before along with the imediate oil flushes afterwards helped.
    A full week since the Seafoam the G is smooth and tick free. Let's see how long it lasts.
    My 2 cents
    Sphinx
    Sphinx
    2000 ES 4G64 ~ Bridgeston Potenza 205/60/15 ~ K&N Typhoon intake/filter ~ KYB GR2/Excel-G ~ CM Springs ~ V6 TB ~ STB OEM 3G Eclipse ~ Drilled Slotted Rotors ~ PrePaid Legal Sticker ~ Graco Car Seat

Thanks man. I have been thinking of that option, but really, if my G has an upgraded lifter in the market, I would definitely like to try that so that the problem does not come back later on.

Dont blaim yah, might do the same in the future.
    Good luck bro

Sphinx
    2000 ES 4G64 ~ Bridgeston Potenza 205/60/15 ~ K&N Typhoon intake/filter ~ KYB GR2/Excel-G ~ CM Springs ~ V6 TB ~ STB OEM 3G Eclipse ~ Drilled Slotted Rotors ~ PrePaid Legal Sticker ~ Graco Car Seat

krazy3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
    Ive seen it ... just cant help, sorry. For what its worth I had a lifter tick and after a few different attemps to get rid of it Seafoam finally did the trick. Maybe running the 4 quarts of ATF through it a week before along with the imediate oil flushes afterwards helped.
    A full week since the Seafoam the G is smooth and tick free. Let's see how long it lasts.
    My 2 cents
    Sphinx
    Sphinx
    Could you explain the exact method you used? Did you just fill the crankcase with ATF and run it 10 minutes and the just swap with correct oil and filter once? Twice? Also Seafoam in the oil , then change or leave it.

Thanks I just bought a 2001 and it is in great condition but would love it to be quieter :)