The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tranny Swap, now speedo doesn't work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 31

Tranny Swap, now speedo doesn't work

Ok I did a tranny swap with um_fan some time ago, and I have an 01, and his was an 02 or something. the 01 has a speed sensor that plugs into the tranny, where as the 02 has a speed sensor built into the tranny itself.

I only realized this once I swapped the tranny when I got home. I was checking out the manual and it said I should be able to pull the signal off of a wire on some module either at the top or back of the firewall behind the dashboard, which I would need to remove to gain access too. Anyone ever had this problem or know how to resolve it? or if I could just grab the same wire from the engine bay, it would save me hours of work, and then I wouldnt need to look at my carpc's screen to see how fast I am going(GPS tells how fast ur going)
    -----------------------------------------------
    www.Galants.org Creator/Originator
    Behind every great fortune lies a crime.

theblackpearl
    sweet another 5spd swap..thats awesome damn. umm well im running a 03 eclipse tranny and the speed sensor is located on the tranny itself. by the rear mount. i havent hooked mine up yet due to the fact the wires on it got cut so short by whoever dismantled the car. i would think your sensor would be in the same place. what im gonna do is see if i can solder some wire onto what lil wire is left on the sensor and thne tap those into my auto trans speed sensors wires..im not sure if that will even work or not but i think it should. as far as all the stuff on the firewall and all that i have no idea what youre talking about..

no im sorry not so fast, I wish I was 5 speed. lol, it is an auto. long story as to why i did an auto to auto swap.

theblackpearl
    awwwwwww booooooooooo shame on you

TGC Regular
    theblackpearl: use the sensor and plug from the stock auto tranny. thats what i did. the plugs on the auto and the manual are different but the speed sensor itself is exactly the same.
    Your signature is too long.

theblackpearl
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hsinya)</div><div class='quotemain'>theblackpearl: use the sensor and plug from the stock auto tranny. thats what i did. the plugs on the auto and the manual are different but the speed sensor itself is exactly the same.</div>

ummmm i checked all the sensors on the auto tranny and none of them were anything like the 5spd sensor... so maybe im just drunk but i just dont think that works...

anyone know any electrical shortcuts to this before i take a stab at removing the dashboard?

Xska55
    you should be able just pull out the speed sensor from the other tranny and replace into your current tranny if its bad but if you just swapped out one auto for another with out removing the speedo sensor from either tranny you should be able just to plug in your sensor wires with no problem i never heard of these tranny's changing there speedo sensors from year to year the way you describing it (it could be true) there pretty much all the same from what ive seen, even the speedo sensors from the 3g manual tranny are the same as the auto its pretty much plug-n-play maybe you can post up some pics of what your talking about so we can exactly what your talking about

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xska55
    you should be able just pull out the speed sensor from the other tranny and replace into your current tranny if its bad but if you just swapped out one auto for another with out removing the speedo sensor from either tranny you should be able just to plug in your sensor wires with no problem i never heard of these tranny's changing there speedo sensors from year to year the way you describing it (it could be true) there pretty much all the same from what ive seen, even the speedo sensors from the 3g manual tranny are the same as the auto its pretty much plug-n-play maybe you can post up some pics of what your talking about so we can exactly what your talking about
    B your right about the auto trannies, as far as I know all the auto's have the same speed sensor. however, in theblackpearls case, im pretty sure his sensor on the manual and his sensor on the auto were different from what he said, i've never heard of it before this.

show_galant, can you take a pic of your tranny, specifically near the back of the tranny straight down from the throttle body. i would like to see if its the same sensor. i cant imagine mitsu changing to an internal sensor, however if they did change to internal you can pick up on the signal off a wire on the harness, let me look thru my wiring charts. try to get me a pic of whatever you got. post it here or email it to [email protected]
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Ok, I will try to get a pic for you guys when I get a chance, but what does posting a pic do??? I had both trannies sitting in front of my face mine had the speedo sensor in that hole, and the new one from my friends ride, didnt have the sensor it had the hole there also, but it has a cover over it, and if u stick the sensor or your finger in it, there is no gear for it to turn the 99-01 sensor. I have a book, but like i said, i figure it shouldnt be that serious to pick up the signal. (Whew)

Sorry to get off post, but you are using the eclipse, I think it's the tiptronic or shiftronic whatever it is auto tranny?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by theblackpearl
    awwwwwww booooooooooo shame on you
    agreed :cry: shame on you

BlackGoose
    '07 Charger SXT

where did i ever mention an eclipse? As I originally stated, the donor tranny came from an 02 or 03 galant. I have an 01 galant. They are obviously both automatics, no tiptronic sh!t, and as originally stated, the newer tranny doesnt have an external speed sensor like the 01 does. I am sorry that I have to keep repeating myself, just to get a simple point across? Now if it is still unclear, all I am asking is, does anyone know where I can pull the speedo signal from besides from up under the dash as the manual states.

Please let me know.

Don't get all female, my fault for not reading the post.
    Mike

TGC Regular
    Hey..
    Im sorry to hear your speedo stopped.

That is all.
    Donovan J.

Need something from england..or other eastern nations holla...
    I dont mind looking.

Car: Toyota Soarer GT-T Jspec "Limited"
    Galant: at home chillaxen :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(show_galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>where did i ever mention an eclipse? As I originally stated, the donor tranny came from an 02 or 03 galant. I have an 01 galant. They are obviously both automatics, no tiptronic sh!t, and as originally stated, the newer tranny doesnt have an external speed sensor like the 01 does. I am sorry that I have to keep repeating myself, just to get a simple point across? Now if it is still unclear, all I am asking is, does anyone know where I can pull the speedo signal from besides from up under the dash as the manual states.

Please let me know.</div>

around 2002, all mitsus eliminated the dedicated vehicle speed sensor on all the automatics.
    why?
    because all the automatics already HAD an output speed sensor on them. The vehicle speed sensor was redundant. So now, the output speed sensor on the tranmission is used for not only correct shifting, but for vehicle speed. The PCM sends the signal to the gauge cluster.
    you CANNOT tap off the output speed sensor, as it is an analog A/C waveform that the PCM interprets.
    Since you have an older car, I dont think your PCM has the capability of sending the correct signal to the gauge cluster.
    i think the newer trannies still had the hole machined in the transaxle for the vehicle speed sensor, but mearly plugged it with a plastic plug. Whether or not the gear is still there is unknown (although you said it isnt, so Ill take your word on it).

basically, Im pretty sure you're outta luck as the gauges on the newer cars are digital and share a bus line with the needed data. Even if you had the line on your car, and even if you had a PCM that could signal the gauges, you would still not be able to translate the waveform coming from it, so you would also need a new gauge cluster.

youre probably going to have to get the correct trans, or open up the one you have.

got any pics?

if you really want to know the speed, you can be ghetto and have post it notes on your dash indicating at what RPMS = what speed. have a friend drive along side of you and tell u when u hit 50 and u note the RPMS, what RPMS at 60, etc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bglocc)</div><div class='quotemain'>Don't get all female, my fault for not reading the post.</div>
    Aiight, brotha, ain't nobody gettin female, it gets kinda frustrating repeating urself 3-4 times before someone reads your posts, but i respect u acknowledging u aint read the post, cool, no love lost.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Donovan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey..
    Im sorry to hear your speedo stopped.

That is all.</div>
    Yea life is rough, but what can you do right.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>Since you have an older car, I dont think your PCM has the capability of sending the correct signal to the gauge cluster.
    i think the newer trannies still had the hole machined in the transaxle for the vehicle speed sensor, but mearly plugged it with a plastic plug. Whether or not the gear is still there is unknown (although you said it isnt, so Ill take your word on it).

basically, Im pretty sure you're outta luck as the gauges on the newer cars are digital and share a bus line with the needed data. Â*Even if you had the line on your car, and even if you had a PCM that could signal the gauges, you would still not be able to translate the waveform coming from Â*
    it, so you would also need a new gauge cluster.

youre probably going to have to get the correct trans, or open up the one you have.

got any pics?</div>

Thanks, well as you said, the tranny does have the hole machined, and is just plugged, the gear is not present. So if I understand correctly, then I can probably luck out and win by changing from an 01- to an 02 cluster. If that doesnt work then I might might need to drop in a 02 pcm(did u mean ecu, or u mean the power train module?) to interpret the signal and I should be set? The correct trans is out of the question, :cry: , ask um_fan what a bish it was to do a double tranny swap, with 3 guys present. lol.

about the pics, naw I don't have any pics, and why does everyone want to see a pic of a plugged tranny anyways? like its the matrix. I mean all it is, is just a rubber plug in place of where the speedo used to be.

I am surprised that no one here except for u and the other guy maybe were the only ones to notice that the newer trannies didnt use this sensor anymore.

forgive my frustration, thanks for all your help...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qnz)</div><div class='quotemain'>if you really want to know the speed, you can be ghetto and have post it notes on your dash indicating at what RPMS = what speed. have a friend drive along side of you and tell u when u hit 50 and u note the RPMS, what RPMS at 60, etc. Â*</div>

Naw I'm good man, I can just revert to my gps, but the dayum text is so small to read how fast im going.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(show_galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Thanks, well as you said, the tranny does have the hole machined, and is just plugged, the gear is not present. So if I understand correctly, then I can probably luck out and win by changing from an 01- to an 02 cluster. If that doesnt work then I might might need to drop in a 02 pcm(did u mean ecu, or u mean the power train module?) to interpret the signal and I should be set?</div>

all this is not nearly as easy as it sounds.
    the wiring for all of it should be considerably different, and you cant just switch PCMs (powertrain control module) which are 1200 bucks new anyway as the immobilizer system will also need to be replaced and new keys programmed. Not to mention the subtle differences from year to year that may produce other drivability issues.
    the best choice? split the two trannies and swap the differential carriers (the old one should have the gear cut on it).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>The correct trans is out of the question, Â*:cry: , ask um_fan what a bish it was to do a double tranny swap, with 3 guys present. lol. Â*</div>

why? is it already installed?
    if so, its STILL easier to re-remove it and fix the trans than any other option

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
    I am surprised that no one here except for u and the other guy maybe were the only ones to notice that the newer trannies didnt use this sensor anymore.</div>
    most people dont bother checkin on stuff like that... I mean, how often does anyone really mess with their speedometer?

sounds like u work at a mitsu dealer, or you really know ur mitsu electronics, I may take a look at the wiring harness and see. I am gonna take an educated guess and say the newer trans still works with the old wiring system because it operates and shifts fine, maybe better than the older trans(maybe mind over matter). If thats the case, then one can assume that the pcm is receiving the correct vehicle speed sensors to shift the vehicle as the vehicle shifts normally at all of the correct speeds/loads.

The reason why I can't switch these trannies or split em open is because this swap was done a couple months ago, and the donor car is gone to the big mitsu place in heaven.

re: speedo awareness
    Sometimes those dedicated ones go bad, and need to be changed. Might raise the awareness a bit, not to mention the multitude of people here doing swaps or replacing trannies on their own to find out certain unexpected incompatibilities.

I might try and find someone close to me, censee or someone else with a 02-03 and see if i drop in their cluster in my car if it will work, if it does, then off to the junkyard or ebay i go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast