The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tranny Swap, now speedo doesn't work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 31 of 31
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(show_galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>sounds like u work at a mitsu dealer, or you really know ur mitsu electronics, I may take a look at the wiring harness and see. I am gonna take an educated guess and say the newer trans still works with the old wiring system because it operates and shifts fine, maybe better than the older trans(maybe mind over matter). Â*If thats the case, then one can assume that the pcm is receiving the correct vehicle speed sensors to shift the vehicle as the vehicle shifts normally at all of the correct speeds/loads.</div>
    yes, the PCM IS receiving signals from the trans speed sensor... it has to in order to work (all mitsu autos have always had an input and output speed sensor). HOWEVER... that just means the trans is working correctly. I have no idea if the PCM has the capability of altering the signal and sending the correct one to the instrument cluster for the speedo. Id say almost 100 percent sure that it cannot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
    The reason why I can't switch these trannies or split em open is because this swap was done a couple months ago, and the donor car is gone to the big mitsu place in heaven. Â*

re: speedo awareness
    Sometimes those dedicated ones go bad, and need to be changed. Might raise the awareness a bit, not to mention the multitude of people here doing swaps or replacing trannies on their own to find out certain unexpected incompatibilities.

I might try and find someone close to me, censee or someone else with a 02-03 and see if i drop in their cluster in my car if it will work, if it does, then off to the junkyard or ebay i go.</div>
    sorry to hear it, but I already knew that incompatabilities are a common and irritating componant of parts swapping. Thats why Im usually against using any part that isnt VIN specific to your car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    yes, the PCM IS receiving signals from the trans speed sensor... it has to in order to work (all mitsu autos have always had an input and output speed sensor). Â*HOWEVER... that just means the trans is working correctly. Â*I have no idea if the PCM has the capability of altering the signal and sending the correct one to the instrument cluster for the speedo. Â*Id say almost 100 percent sure that it cannot.</div>

I would just like to understand this further. I just thought of something, does the tranny shift by itself, or does it need the help of the pcm to control when to shift? I mean is a tranny just dumb without the module, it might be a stupid question, but heck why not ask? My only point is, if the pcm is receiving and interpreting these signals, then it may likely be able to receive these speed signals, I will just have to test it out and see, cuz i would need to know, but what about the wire diagrams, i mean do u have a wire diagram for both models so that I may compare the two.
    -----------------------------------------------
    www.Galants.org Creator/Originator
    Behind every great fortune lies a crime.

j686m
    i was just about to make a thread like this because i was looking at my galant trans(03) and saw that speed sensor hole plug on mine and was wandering where the actual speed sensor was. well i was about to do a manual swap but shit not if cant have my speedo. i might be able to wire the manual speedsensor into the output shaft input wire, but it may be different number of pulses per rotation or a diferent type of signal

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    OK, here is the final word. I just spoke with my parts guy at Mitsu South Parts Central, they are a main supply hub. the speed sensors in the 99-2003 galant 4 cylinder have never changed, ever. they are all mechanical gear driven. he said that he is 99% sure the v6's are all the same too. on a side note, if your not aware dodge uses the same tranns in the stratus and sebring, for the people who had probs, there may be a chance the junkyard sent you the wrong trans assuming they were the same, if anyone cannot find their sensor or thinks its wrong, take a pic and email it to me. i will try to shed more light on it.

ALSO... please note, the transmission speed sensor and the Speedometer speed sensor are 2 TOTALLY different things. dont interchange or misunderstand that.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    also if you want, get me the vin# off the transmission itself, i can run the vin# on my computer
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stewi)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    ALSO... please note, the transmission speed sensor and the Speedometer speed sensor are 2 TOTALLY different things. dont interchange or misunderstand that.</div>

I am aware of that, I mean in essence thats what this whole thread is about. I am talking about my speedometer not working since I did a tranny swap. I haver no idea of where the tranny speed sensor is, but I am talking about where my speedometer sensor used to go on my old tranny. the new tranny shares the old case from the previous tranny with the hole bored out, but doesn't have the corresponding gear in it to turn the speedo sensor.

Thats my problem. I have an 02-03 tranny, in an 01 car.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Well sounds like both Stewi and Mannybrew are correct. Stewis parts source says they are the same, as the casing is the same. You can physically use a 99 speed sensor in a 2002-03 Galant. Where or not you can get it properly working in a 2002-03 car is the question. I have no clue on the subject, all my 7gs have the gear driven sensor.

Unless youre an electrical engineer and can somehow convert the gear driven sensors signal to match the output of the PCM, more then likely out of luck with the newer trans.
    7g for life!

Well I tried a newer cluster in my car, it didnt work. So much for that idea. So now it is known that a newer pcm and all of that good stuff would be needed and that may resolve the issue.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    is there any way you can get an aftermarket speedo and just wire the shit in there. Something like how those aftermarket shift lights hook up and shit?

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Some suggested I go with a digital gauge. I will see depending on how they work, compatibility and cost.

j686m
    an aftermarket speedo will not read the ac signal from the output shaft speed sensor on your new tranny. you have two options, replace your trans with the correct older one, or change your engine and body harnesses, pcm, ip cluster, imoblizer, keys and probably a few for things from the newer style galant. i know which one i would do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12