The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: synthetic oil question.

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

synthetic oil question.

Hey guys I have 78k on my g. (00) I have been looking into the Valvoline's SynPower full synthetic. I think it is new or something.. well I am not familiar with synthetic oil. I need help with the right weight of the oil (10w-30) or if there is any other better brand? The filter is the same right? and I think it last twice or about 5k per oil change. please anyone help me with this. Thanks.

You should use 5w-30 especially if you have cold weather. But 10w-30 will work.

I use that new Q state synthetic. It works pretty well.

well I live here in miami. The coldest it gets is like 50. Tks.

Well if you are changing to synthetic from dino oil at the number of miles on your car right now, check all of the seals if you havent replaced them recently. Dino oil can leave residue that have helped keep the seals together. When you switch to synthetic, there might be a chance those residues will come off resulting in a leak.

this is what i use

when i use anything else, i know that my car isn't getting the best i can give it.

i love it so much i drive about 40 miles each way just to get it "locally"

but yea, combined with a mobil1 or k&n filter, my car has been really happy. even a sight increase in fuel economy.

amsoil says you can run their oil for up to 25k or 1 year before an oil change but you must also remember that your oil filter doesn't last that long.

with that said, i push about 7.5k before i change my oil. been doing that for a while with no problems.

started using it at about 35k. no problems with leaks or any of that such. the way i see it, if you have sludge in your engine keeping seals together, dino oil or synthetic oil, if its gonna leak, its gonna leak.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

i always hear ppl on here tout how great amsoil is, but im wondering if it is worth the $40 price tag. as opposed to the $10 i would be spending on regular castrol or penzoil oil. isnt mobil1 and amsoil made for high performance cars like evos and porches. for a grocery getter, i would think regular motor oil would be as beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    i always hear ppl on here tout how great amsoil is, but im wondering if it is worth the $40 price tag. as opposed to the $10 i would be spending on regular castrol or penzoil oil. isnt mobil1 and amsoil made for high performance cars like evos and porches. for a grocery getter, i would think regular motor oil would be as beneficial.
    A case of 12 costs around $60, so its more like $30 for Amsoil. As for Mobil 1, you can get a 5qt jug at walmart for $20.

just bought some amsoil at super acutobacs.
    I asked for my car
    2001 4cyl
    120,000 miles
    Lifter Tick

They suggested 15W40

Is that right>? I was thinking 5w30

OR how about Nippon/ENEOS 0W50 oil (full syntheic w/o Patroleum), but costs 9.99 a QUART!!!!!

But I got the 15W40, is that okay????
    Accident. Deemed Unfixable. Got a check for it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sillyasianz)</div><div class='quotemain'>just bought some amsoil at super acutobacs. Â*
    I asked for my car Â*
    2001 4cyl Â*
    120,000 miles
    Lifter Tick

They suggested 15W40

Is that right>? I was thinking 5w30

OR how about Nippon/ENEOS 0W50 oil (full syntheic w/o Patroleum), but costs 9.99 a QUART!!!!!

But I got the 15W40, is that okay????</div>your oil pressure is going to be higher than normal. what climate are you in? thick oil sucks in the winter.its going to be harder on your battery and starter in the morning.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

im in southern california. so yea, weather isnt really an issue.
    Accident. Deemed Unfixable. Got a check for it.

you do NOT need to use synthetic. For you, it would be a total waste of money.

use a name brand, modern dino oil, 5w30. change it every 3 to 4000 miles.
    thats it.

i also use amsoil and as for the price difference i am with pinoyesv6...you change it half as often so the price difference isnt much of an issue....i also have seen an increase in my gass mileage but i also changed out my tranny fluid with amsoil as well....i used to have hard shifts sometimes getting on the freeway or when i needed to pass on a city street, but after changing to the amsoil that doesnt happen anymore...anyway 10 ppl can give you 10 different answers...just do what you think you can afford and as long as you keep up with your changes(wether it be 3-4000 with dino oil or 6-7000 with synthetic) you will be fine.
    01 Galant ES V6 R.I.P
    ROB
    U.S ARMY...THANX FOR YOUR SUPPORT