The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Door to fuel cap

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    McD0831

Door to fuel cap

This may be a minor problem but it's bugging the hell out of me. The door to my fuel cap for my 99 GTZ is broken, it hasn't completely broken off but is well on it's way. I just wanted to know if this is a common problem because I feel that it is a terrible design in the first place, how much to replace and fix it, and should i go to the dealer or to a salvage yard for it... Someone please reply ASAP. Thank you all.

a new fuel door at the dealer is like 30 bucks. but its not painted. if you can find a salvage yard that has the fuel door, especially in your color, you could go with that. might save you a few bucks.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

TGC Regular
    Yeah, like Pinoy says, the door is like $30 from the dealer and then needs to be color matched. I am having the same problem with the door on my 99 ES V6. The Parts service guy says this is a common problem. If you look at the problem, you'll see that there is a plastic ring that is broken on the lower part of the door. I said I'll try to fix mine first before buyin a new one. It looks like it could be fixed by using a strong adhedsive/expoy to repair this plastic clip, or you make and attach a new clip made of metal. Either method shouldn't be too hard with a quick trip to your local Lowes or Home Depot. Once I try it, I'll post what I did.

yeah, it broke on mine as well. I just got some extremly strong epoxy and remade one of the hinge pivots and it works. it doesnt look the best but you only see it when its open. ill post a pic in a little of it.

This is a common problem for our 8Gs... I am looking to repaint, since the other common problem is the paint oxidation (mine is black), so I bought a new fuel door.

I think the epoxy thing would probably work pretty well also... I'd like to see them pics, since I know that the replacement fuel door is just as cheap as what came on the car... only a matter of time before the new one falls off too....