The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Steering rack with AWD. Where does the driveshaft fit?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Steering rack with AWD. Where does the driveshaft fit?

So I was in the junkyard today taking some measurements on some 2G eclipse vs 8G galant. You would be amazed at how much they are alike. Anywho....how do the European 8G AWD guys get a rear driveshaft past the steering racks on these cars? I assume they must have a different subframe than the US model. Is the steering rack in the same location on the AWD cars? Does anybody have a picture of a AWD 8G empty engine bay? I am contemplating some rwd ideas and am looking for some relatively easy ways of moving that steering rack. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Jeremy
    1964 Impala Convertible
    1989 Dodge Ram 50 w/ Turbo 4G63
    2005 Subaru 2.5 RS
    2006 Subaru Legacy GT
    My Car Blog

Re: Steering rack with AWD. Where does the driveshaft fit?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4g63mightymax)</div><div class='quotemain'>So I was in the junkyard today taking some measurements on some 2G eclipse vs 8G galant. Â*You would be amazed at how much they are alike. Â*Anywho....how do the European 8G AWD guys get a rear driveshaft past the steering racks on these cars? Â*I assume they must have a different subframe than the US model. Â*Is the steering rack in the same location on the AWD cars? Does anybody have a picture of a AWD 8G empty engine bay? Â*I am contemplating some rwd ideas and am looking for some relatively easy ways of moving that steering rack. Â*Any ideas? Â*
    Thanks
    Jeremy</div>
    the 8g awd has the same style front subframe as the 7g. same multi link front suspension too.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

So does this mean that a 7G front subframe has a notch in the center for a driveshaft? AND if so, does it bolt right into a 8G?
    Thanks again!
    1964 Impala Convertible
    2005 Subaru 2.5 RS
    2006 Subaru Legacy GT
    My Car Blog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4g63mightymax)</div><div class='quotemain'>So does this mean that a 7G front subframe has a notch in the center for a driveshaft? AND if so, does it bolt right into a 8G?
    Thanks again!</div>
    theres really no notch. the subframe arches over the exhaust. the axle comes back from the transfer case. and the transaxle is routed through the exhaust tunnel.

kinda like this.
    http://www.automotivearticles.com/AWD_Conversion.shtml

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DOHCSTUNR)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    theres really no notch. the subframe arches over the exhaust. the axle comes back from the transfer case. and the transaxle is routed through the exhaust tunnel.
    </div>

Correct...totally

My 8g vr4 has the exactly front and rear suspension as a US 7g galant

Ok, well that will definitely help. Now my next question is: Will a 2G Eclipse AWD gas tank bolt onto the bottom of an 8G galant?
    This is getting very interesting.
    Thanks!
    1964 Impala Convertible
    2005 Subaru 2.5 RS
    2006 Subaru Legacy GT
    My Car Blog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4g63mightymax)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok, well that will definitely help. Â*Now my next question is: Will a 2G Eclipse AWD gas tank bolt onto the bottom of an 8G galant?
    This is getting very interesting.
    Thanks!</div>
    the 2g awd gas tank actually hangs via straps.
    so i'm sure its doable. or at least possible.

but honestly,
    if you want to go to the trouble of fabbing an awd setup.
    why not just buy or make a fuel cell.
    you can bolt them under the car and plumb it to your stock filler no problems.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Yeah, about that awd. I am thinking more rear wheel drive, not so much all wheel drive. I had an 1G awd eclipse that I liked and a 4g63 turbo mightymax that I liked. I just get bored with cars, and never keep them for a long time. So it is time to try something new. If anybody knows about the awd gas tank or anything about going from fwd to rwd, let me know. I am not sure if I am going through with it or not yet. It is a big project and I have to do some more measuring to do.
    Thanks again!
    Jeremy
    1964 Impala Convertible
    2005 Subaru 2.5 RS
    2006 Subaru Legacy GT
    My Car Blog

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4g63mightymax)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah, about that awd. Â*I am thinking more rear wheel drive, not so much all wheel drive. Â*I had an 1G awd eclipse that I liked and a 4g63 turbo mightymax that I liked. Â*I just get bored with cars, and never keep them for a long time. Â*So it is time to try something new. Â*If anybody knows about the awd gas tank or anything about going from fwd to rwd, let me know. Â*I am not sure if I am going through with it or not yet. It is a big project and I have to do some more measuring to do.
    Thanks again!
    Jeremy</div>

x2... if i were doing any kind of conversion it would be rwd instead of awd

when is we gon be free????

if you were to do a rwd conversion on a 7g or even 8g, you will have to mount the motor longways like how most all rwd cars are.
    you wouldn't be able to run an awd eclipse tranny w/o the front diffferential.
    so its totally possible, but w/ turbo you would have to get a custom top mounted turbo manifold and all your exhaust work would be totally custom.
    there are more than a handful of rwd eclipses out there. its been done.
    basically you have a hot rod shop fab up some custom solid motor mounts,
    then you have a driveshaft shop fab up your driveshaft, and a custom bellhousing adaptor and input shaft adaptor for the 6 speed GM t-56 tranny you are going to run. then you have to cut a hole in the cabin for the on tranny shifter to come through the floorboard.

than you just nee to pick a rear end. and you are done.
    personally i'd try to get non solid rear axle like you'd find on an awd eclipse. solid rear axles suck, from a handling and suspension standpoint.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Well. I couldnt possibly agree any more with everything you just said. I feel like the only challenging part would be the steering. That damn steering rack is right where the transmission belongs. The rear diff, mounting the engine, holes in the firewall, would all be pretty easy I think.

Anywho, the good news is, I am picking up an Extended cab Mightymax tomorrow for my mightymax 4g63 turbo swap #2. So the RWD 8G will be put on hold until I get bored again. Until then, she will stay fwd automatic, and continue to be reliable. boooo to reliablility. WOOHOO for turbo mightymax's!
    1964 Impala Convertible
    2005 Subaru 2.5 RS
    2006 Subaru Legacy GT
    My Car Blog