The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Evo head swap and manual transmission swap

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Evo head swap and manual transmission swap

Hey Guys,

I have not been on here in a while since I have been working on my Talon, but I wanted to give you 2.4 guys a heads up. We have a guy in our local dsm club with a 3g eclipse, that just converted his car to a manual and swapped the head with a Kia optima. The Kia Optima head is the same as the Evos and it bolted on with no problems. The car turboed using a Evo III 16G. So pretty much he has a 2.4 Evo motor with out the price of swapping motors.

Here is the link:

http://www.carolinadsm.com/forum/showthrea...21&page=1&pp=20

At the moment he is the only 3g eclipse that attempted this, meaning the head swap, and the car is running. The car will need to hit a dyno to get dialed in. Check it out!!!

-Brian

theblackpearl
    sorry i didnt read all of the thread, how much did it run him to do this project?

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Damn.... hell of a job.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>

</div>
    wow wonder what kind of cams are in the kia version head?
    wonder if its the same valvetrain?

you gotta love the turbo drop top

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I am not sure off hand but I will try to get up with him this week and ask. He did had to purchase a Evo intake manifold which he got for about $340 off of ebay. He already had a turbo kit on the car and a Greddy Emanage. He plans on replacing it with a AEM EMS soon one he gets the car dialed as it is.

-Brian

intereseting...i see he had the same problem with the power steering line although i had a new one made and he ran it over the actual valve cover...

hmm i wonder how he got around the whole starter hitting the turbo problem?
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanaticsâ„¢ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cali)</div><div class='quotemain'>intereseting...i see he had the same problem with the power steering line although i had a new one made and he ran it over the actual valve cover...

hmm i wonder how he got around the whole starter hitting the turbo problem?</div>

Noel, he is using either a 2g or EVO3 exhaust manifold and an EVO3 16g turbo, not the twin scroll.

Not to sound like an @$$HOLE, but there is no other way to put this. I saw that kids swap over on eclipseforums.com and club3g. That kid went thru all the trouble of getting a damn Kia head, just to save a few dollars, then had to spend extra money to get evo cams, evo cam gears and the like, why not just spend the money and buy the right parts. I cant stand people who will totally go for the absolute cheapest parts they can find, yet they are soo crucial to the overall operation of the motor. its like buying used pistons, its something you dont do. in the end he ended up having to buy the evo parts anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stewi)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cali)</div><div class='quotemain'>intereseting...i see he had the same problem with the power steering line although i had a new one made and he ran it over the actual valve cover...

hmm i wonder how he got around the whole starter hitting the turbo problem?</div>

Noel, he is using either a 2g or EVO3 exhaust manifold and an EVO3 16g turbo, not the twin scroll.

Not to sound like an @$$HOLE, but there is no other way to put this. I saw that kids swap over on eclipseforums.com and club3g. That kid went thru all the trouble of getting a damn Kia head, just to save a few dollars, then had to spend extra money to get evo cams, evo cam gears and the like, why not just spend the money and buy the right parts. I cant stand people who will totally go for the absolute cheapest parts they can find, yet they are soo crucial to the overall operation of the motor. its like buying used pistons, its something you dont do. in the end he ended up having to buy the evo parts anyway.</div>

im curious to know how his engine mangement is holding up...
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanaticsâ„¢ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

HOLY SHIT SOMEBODY IS ON TGC FROM NC SWIFT MAN HOLLA AT ME I REALL Y NEED SOME ENGINE WORK EVEN IF U CANT HIT ME UP ANYWAY IM TIRED OF BEING THE ONLY ONE WITH A DECENT G

AOL:CONCORDSKING
    YAHOO:WHOSYOURKING2002
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    A) He doesnt own a G
    We have PMs for a reason
    C) Don't type in Caps

huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh?

Back in the Family!!

stop black on black crime

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Edited by VM

Damn, mad hostility. You Newbs be getting carried away nowadays.
    Are any of you Mods following the bullshit going on ova here.
    I think Flames are in order.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

8G_GTZ
    yeah homie g dogg bitch. where my hoes at? get the fuck out of here g-ridda.

ooohhh I see a guy from California has gone through here, dude talk to me I have to. I see you do really cool stuff, talk to me. fag

Steve

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Alright now......Back on topic!
    7g for life!

Wow :shock:
    Seeing things like this project makes me want to do my swap more and more.
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

Number one I do own a Galant, a 99 V6. Since I have my Talon on the road I decided to mod it instead because the bang for buck ratio is better. Also, I drag race on a regular basis so it keeps me busy. Also, as for the cheap comment if it gets the job done I do not see what he did wrong. Us DSM guys prefer to take the path less traveled. For all we know the internals of the Kia Optima head is the same as the Evo except for the cams. I get sick and tired of people bashing someone when they try something new. If people had your mind set there would be no aftermarket support for import cars in the US. We would be waiting 3 to six months for parts from over seas because vendors in the US would feel that carrying aftermarket parts for imports would be a waste and people should be modding domestics. To not sound sound like an asshole, you did. I'm done with my rant. To each is there own. If you are just going to bash on this thread them mods, please lock it. That was not my reason to post it over here. As for the Galant guy in Charlotte, PM me. There are a few G guys on the carolinadsm forum as well.

-Brian

pm sent SWIFT i appreciate it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah homie g dogg bitch. where my hoes at? get the fuck out of here g-ridda. Â*

ooohhh I see a guy from California has gone through here, dude talk to me I have to. I see you do really cool stuff, talk to me. fag Â*

Steve</div>

man shut the hell up no one was talkin to you and no one knows wut u talkin about u aint nothin to me boy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Edited by VM Â*

Damn, mad hostility. You Newbs be getting carried away nowadays. Â*
    Are any of you Mods following the bullshit going on ova here. Â*
    I think Flames are in order.</div>

i didnt get carried away i didnt say anything to that bitch and he disrespected me publicly he tellin me i should have pmed SWIFT he could have pmed me and been a lil more respectful than that he's not my damn daddy!!there wasnt anything wrong with what i posted before at all if there was please show me cus i dont see it
    PIMPIN AINT EASY