The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Balance Shaft Removal Quest...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 44 of 44
    there isnt any actual improvement in performance or power.... there is no load on the balance shafts whatsoever, other than their own intertia. which is about 3 pounds. And no load/drag.
    you loose more horsepower from the crankshaft itself. And everything else on the engine, including the cam, PS pump, water pump, etc.
    you MAY gain about .5 hp. Maybe. its doubtful.

the only place I would say use them (and there is no reason not to use the balance shafts in this situation) is a 100 percent pure race car that NEVER sees the street.

once again, thats my 2 cents.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    WIth both balance shafts, balance shaft puley/gear, mine came to a weight of 6 lbs. 6lbs is a descent amount of weight to remove from the rotating mass. It would be the same as upgrading to a lightweight flywheel, which we all know you would see gains from installing a light weight flywheel.

Im not talking amazing power, but probably 3-5hp, or not, idk. Only reason I eliminated mine is that my motor spun one of the front bs bearings. I just replaced/turned the balance shaft bearings, and removed the front/rear balance shafts. I think John has had 2 bs belts break on him. THe first was due to age, the second there was no reason for it to break as it was still pretty new.

7g for life!

Proto
    I installed the stubby shaft in mine today, I'll be finishing everything up tomorrow. I'll finally hear the GS run after a month and some change.

Proto

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123